Nice One for the Ladies!

janey

Linda -

$4,995???

Even $2,500?

Seems a bit steep to me. I would have thought $2K max for a red fox jacket.

B~

First, Thanks Janey!!

FrBrGr,

Fur prices have risen so much, I believe wholesale on that jacket is $1500, maybe higher. The next time I talk with my supplier, I'll get an updated pricing sheet.

Linda

FrBrGr,

Linda is correct, pelt prices have risen dramatically at recent auctions. $2495 is a reasonable price for a fox jacket.

There are several reasons for the rising prices of pelts. First is that due to the decline in fur popularity in the 90s, mostly due to the anti-fur terrorists, many fur farms went out of business. Thus a reduced supply. Second is the Chinese fur manufacturers have become major buyers and they are willing to pay top dollar for the better pelts. Third is an increasing demand for fur and fur trimmed garments. So until supply and demand are more balanced, pelt prices, and the price of fur garments, will continue to rise.

AK correctly described the reasons for price increases.

The biggest factor is the acceptance of fur on a wider global basis. In the past the biggest markets were North America and Europe. Today Russia, Japan and China also have to be considered major fur markets.

The second factor is the determination of the Chinese to become a major fur manufacturer. They are trying to become competitive with major European manufacturers of high end fur garmets.

A third factor is the decline of the anti fur movement. It is again becoming acceptable to own and wear furs.

My conclusion that the increase in the price of fur pelts is simple. A greater demand for fur products with the number of pelts either remaining the same or still decreasing. It will continue until the number pelts available shows a sigificant increase. It is just a matter of simple supply and demand.

Since the Chinese are now positioning themselves to take over as the leader in breeding as well, it should help in supply.

But, if they can control the whole market, will it lower prices?

Since the Chinese are now positioning themselves to take over as the leader in breeding as well, it should help in supply.

But, if they can control the whole market, will it lower prices?

One can only hope the supply situation will improve.

As to prices, it could depend on what segment of the market the Chinese want to target.

If the Chinese (or anyone) tries to corner the market, they will fail. No matter how popular fur may get (not counting the den), it will always be a discretionary purchase. As such, if the price is not right, no sale.

What good does it do to have all the marbles if no one is willing to pay your price? DeBeers spends millions to keep the price of diamonds artificially high.

Patience