So I'm thinking of becoming an accountant...

Snake

I know there are a couple of accountants on these boards and was wondering: Do you enjoy your profession? I've been seriously considering going to school to obtain a degree in accounting and finance, and I need some feedback from business professionals. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

I believe the catholic church still perfroms exorcisms. Go now before this spirit takes a grip.

Only joking! Where would we be without accountants!

I have my undergraduate in accounting. It is a good basic degree to have. I view it is as learning how to keep score in life.

I also think a law degree is an excellent graduate level degee to have. Even if you don't choose to practice.

Linda

I have my undergraduate in accounting. It is a good basic degree to have. I view it is as learning how to keep score in life.

I also think a law degree is an excellent graduate level degee to have. Even if you don't choose to practice.

Linda

Haha, Linda, you make it sound so easy! If only I had any interest in the "law", I might have considered obtaining such a degree. But, to me, the law is a joke, constantly amended by people who wish to use it for their own twisted and selfish purposes. I know I sound like a hippie saying that, but that is my life experience.

But I thank you for your thoughts on accounting. Although I don't post much, I've always paid special attention to your posts and consider them to be the creme de la creme of internet message board musings. If only I could one day meet a woman as intelligent as you in real life, but alas, 'tis not my fate, it seems.

LOL @ touchofsable's post. You're the best, man. So tell me, if accountants need to be exorcised, what do lawyers need?

Snake wrote...

But, to me, the law is a joke, constantly amended by people who wish to use it for their own twisted and selfish purposes.

That's exactly why one should become a lawyer!

FLinFL

HMmmmmmmmmmm "Accountant" is such a well worn term nowadays. It doesn't carry with it the prestige that it did fifty years ago... but what does.

So... where to start....

Liking numbers helps, being extraverted doesn't *grin*, being fastidious is a plus, Thinking outside the square can be a drawback, being a team player is a plus, being a team player can be a drawback (yeah, I know... just a tad machiavellian *grin*).

Then there is the classification... Tax Accountant? Cost Accountant? Company Accountant? Financial Accountant? Sole practice Accountant? Public Accountant? etc...

Do you like people?? or do you prefer to hide in the background? Are you straight laced? Or do you have a semblance of humanity about you... and a modicum of humour *grin*.

It can be rewarding, exhilarating, repetitious, boring and exacting all at the same time.

A uni degree nowadays is a must, or else you are no more than a glorified bookkeeper.

Oh and never furget:

Debit: Newtown Rugby League

Credit: Penrith Rugby League.

Mr. B. , as you mentioned there are many classifications for accountants. Part of the reason for my interest in accounting was the fact that there are diverse options within the field. I'm still trying to nail down which route I'm going to take in regards to that, though.

Snake wrote...

But, to me, the law is a joke, constantly amended by people who wish to use it for their own twisted and selfish purposes.

That's exactly why one should become a lawyer!

FLinFL

I seem to recall something about bamboo bending in the wind.

Snake

The Uni Degree should touch on all areas mentioned in the three years of the degree, plus Economics and possibly computers as well.

I have only been in "private" practice.... therefore know nothing about the world of the company accountant (cost, financial, company, management, etc.)

However.. tax accounting/accounting dealing with the public and small companies/businesses can be quite fun and enlightening.... and keep you on your toes as well.

I used to wonder why they were called 'practices', but since you never stop learning....