In case you’re running out of things to read about fur…

pnwhist

Okay that’s fine but that article is nearly 25 years old. Can we find a publication that offers this kind of good news that is maybe a little more contemporary? Like maybe from just within the last 8 weeks during this past fall fashion week? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Panther10 said:

Okay that’s fine but that article is nearly 25 years old. Can we find a publication that offers this kind of good news that is maybe a little more contemporary? Like maybe from just within the last 8 weeks during this past fall fashion week? 

I find what I can find and share - some people on this forum may want to read about people’s findings and perspectives from a historical angle. Since finding anything on the web related to this subject is few and far between.

If I find something current sure …but really, if you yourself are interested in recent fall fashion week, go ahead and do the research and share out to the community.

Edited by pnwhist
Typo

6 hours ago, pnwhist said:

I find what I can find and share - some people on this forum may want to read about people’s findings and perspectives from a historical angle. Since finding anything on the web related to this subject is few and far between.

If I find something current sure …but really, if you yourself are interested in recent fall fashion week, go ahead and do the research and share out to the community.

That’s totally fine if you want to regale us with stories that happened a long time ago. Especially if it was a personal story. But when it comes to an article specifically about the fashion industry, it’s a mere blip in the historical record. The fashion industry has grown so large and so looming over the decades, that even with or without the fur trade associated with it, when your reading a story that came out 20 years ago, it might has well have been from the dark ages. The fashion industry functions at nearly an identical pace as the technology sector. The fur industry has been constantly reinventing itself to try and keep pace and stay ahead of the curve and remain fashion forward, but in order to do so, every trend that has come before it just goes out the window. Very few stores even sell the same kinds of furs that were popular only a decade ago. And hearts and minds (and even trends) have changed with them.

So retrospectives are nice, but it’s important remember that they’re not really going to broaden the conversation at this point. Trust me on this one. I’ve brought up my fair share of reflections at work in the past and my bosses just glower at me. 

35 minutes ago, Panther10 said:

That’s totally fine if you want to regale us with stories that happened a long time ago. Especially if it was a personal story. But when it comes to an article specifically about the fashion industry, it’s a mere blip in the historical record. The fashion industry has grown so large and so looming over the decades, that even with or without the fur trade associated with it, when your reading a story that came out 20 years ago, it might has well have been from the dark ages. The fashion industry functions at nearly an identical pace as the technology sector. The fur industry has been constantly reinventing itself to try and keep pace and stay ahead of the curve and remain fashion forward, but in order to do so, every trend that has come before it just goes out the window. Very few stores even sell the same kinds of furs that were popular only a decade ago. And hearts and minds (and even trends) have changed with them.

So retrospectives are nice, but it’s important remember that they’re not really going to broaden the conversation at this point. Trust me on this one. I’ve brought up my fair share of reflections at work in the past and my bosses just glower at me. 

What's funny about this is by replying, you are kicking the thread up to the top of the list. If you don't want it highlighted then don't respond.

Also, can we try to have some perspective, please? Nothing that happens on TFD has any relevance whatsoever to the fashion industry. You are gatekeeping empty space, my dude. It should also be noted that OP linked a discussion on a travel forum, not a fashion article. Tell me you commented blind without telling me you commented blind.

7 hours ago, Pelsker said:

Personally, I love readings like this. Thank you, pnwhist!

Thank you! For those who’d like a summarized synopsis of that forum board.

Furs in NYC(Back in 2001)

- Fur coats are common in New York City, both during the day and at night.
- The number of women wearing furs is notable, especially during colder temperatures.
- Faux furs are also popular, but real furs are still seen frequently.
- Fur coats are seen on both tourists and locals.
- Fur coats are considered warm and practical for battling the cold weather in NYC.

• 2 months later...
On 10/26/2023 at 10:09 PM, SlyRoxy said:

What's funny about this is by replying, you are kicking the thread up to the top of the list. If you don't want it highlighted then don't respond.

Also, can we try to have some perspective, please? Nothing that happens on TFD has any relevance whatsoever to the fashion industry. You are gatekeeping empty space, my dude. It should also be noted that OP linked a discussion on a travel forum, not a fashion article. Tell me you commented blind without telling me you commented blind.

Brilliant response.  Ignore the idiot from Chicago.  He is a self important blowhard.  Maybe he should spend more time looking for a job than complaining on this forum.  Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2024 at 10:37 AM, pnwhist said:

…and since the newswire is dramatically slowing down on articles on Fur that are not the political type… here’s another. This one should be near and dear to @WinnipegFur

https://www.cbc.ca/archives/when-it-was-worth-taking-a-trip-to-winnipeg-to-buy-a-fur-coat-1.5375236

Question for you: what side of the city is that initial shot from?

I honestly don't know to be honest... thats back from 1986... the city has changed so much since then... It almost looks like the black is train lines, Id hazard a guess it maybe from the east side of the city from across the river looking on downtown...

This city used to be loaded with furriers... downtown alone there were 7, in the exchange district another one, and then at least 3 more I knew of.. it was pretty normal to see fur every single day here back at that point... I still remember when Eatons downtown closed out.. I went into the fur salon there and tried on a massive coyote.. I was going to buy it, but in 1997 $2500 was alot of $ even on sale... there was no way I could make ends meet to grab it...

Now we have two left.. one in the exchange district.. hes pretty grumpy... I bought a coyote parka off him like 25 years ago.. he still had a pile of coats in the store then... I remember seeing a full length coyote, and his comment was more on the lines that coat is reserved for ladies..as I went toward a big fox, same comment... he said the mens are down at the end.. I was thinking ok buddy settle down... I really could care less which way the coat does up.. well maybe back then people noticed... i don't think these days anyone even cares or bothers.. I think if anything people are going to notice hey someone is wearing a fur coat.. versus hey I just saw someone wearing a fur coat that did up the "wrong way" I could really care less... 

We used to have big sales here as well... the montreal furriers would bring in PILES of coats on sale in the convention center after christmas... like I said you wouldnt go out on a winter day here back then without seeing a fur coat.. it was pretty normal.. now... well as Ive always said on here, its rare to see any... I see maybe 2-3 a winter... but people are buying them off the local buy and sells, I just dont ever see them... its been a rather warm winter here so far... I find my full length raccoon and hat just too much sometimes and Ill wear it whenever.. so I can imagine the everyday person is probably thinking its just not cold enough to wear a fur coat... by midweek though the lows are down to -25 and colder, so it will be all out fur weather for me... whether I see anyone else enoying a walk in their furs is another story...

• Like 1