Story of your nickname!

Earendil

Hello ladies and gellyspoons

I thought it would be cool to hear about the story/meaning of your nicknames! I have wondered many times on many names over the years here.. (Right, OFF? ) And now we have an awesome off-topic forum which allows us to do so with an impact!

I'll start it off..

At the time I decided on this nickname, I had read LoTR (Lord of The Rings) about 4 times, the Silmarillion about 3 times, and the book of lost tales 1 and 2 for the first time.. I'm a _BIG_ fan of Tolkien. So naturally, my nickname is from the Middle-Earth Sagas..

E

Edited by Guest

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frugalfurguy

• Fox

• Joe

• Kappa

Top Posters In This Topic

If only the story behind my nickname was as interesting..

I'm an uncle, and my name's Joe - that's about it. The 420 part is an obscure ECW reference.

So now you all know!!

Unclejoe

ReFur was originally the name of my used fur business.

When we changed our business model to have more new than pre-owned we changed it to Great Lakes Fur Company.

I had wanted to name the business something with Fur in it. So I was thinking along the lines of re-do, re-carpet, and so on.

Only a year later did a kind person tell me about a very old movie that had to do with "smoking" Only then did I realize my company name sounded like the famous marijuana! It was spelled differently, though.

After living in Ann Arbor, where they have a famous hash bash, how could I have been so stupid?!!

Linda

Mine came from a moment in bed with the future Mrs Snowleopard. I had only just told her of my love of fur and i asked her to incorporate it in a story for me. Now the future mrs is a big animal lover by the way. When i asked her what kind of coat she was wearing she paused a while before eventually coming out with snowleopard.

It was the following day that we discovered that it was illegal to hunt snowleopard as they were so endangered. So for someone with such a love of animals it was quite funny she chose that as the fantasy fur she was wearing. From then on it stuck

My nickname was my work name as a dom; not the first name I chose, as I'd had to re-incarnate myself about 3 or 4 times over 11 years.... Last time round, after much thought and debate, I defaulted by using my middle name that I always hated, Theresa. I got tired of trying to think about it anymore and needed to get on with it already.

I rather miss Madame O (my last name starts with an O), which is what an old boyfriend jokingly called me years back... and it sounded so mysterious, I decided to be that woman for a number of years. But, a nosey landlord caused trouble and I had to move and for my own peace of mind "become someone else again" for advertisings sake.

Still don't like Theresa by the way.

Just took the name of my website and it works on so many levels.

Plus no one can ever forget my site name or url.

Fur Lover in Florida - no one accused me of being the most imaginative person on the planet!!!

FLinFL

Only then did I realize my company name sounded like the famous marijuana!

I picked up on the double ententre. I thought it was intentional so I never gave it a second thought.

Don't feel bad, Linda. When I was a kid, my parents owned a steak restaurant. The slogan he used on all his advertisements, business cards and swag was:

Skyway Tavern - "You can't beat our meat!"

Okay... About me:

"Worker 11811" is the name of a character in a movie.

Fritz Lang's 1927 silent masterpiece - Metropolis

It is the movie that kicked off the genre of Science Fiction films.

(If you are a movie lover like me, you should consider it "Required Reading". It is available on DVD.)

"Georg" (AKA: "Worker 11811") is one of the machine operators that live underground and keep the machines which power Metropolis running. He operates the clock like "Paternoster Machine".

These pictures are two of the most famous images from the movie:

>>> CLICK HERE for Picture of "The Robot" <<<

>>> CLICK HERE for Picture of "Paternoster Machine" <<<

I am a cinema projectionist, by trade. I spend a lot of time with movies and working with machines.

I have actually presented Metropolis to a live audience.

I often feel like I am as "tied" to the machines as "Worker 11811" is so that is the character I identify with the most. Thus, the username.

The Teddy Bear avatar seems to be a non-sequitur at first but, when you know that my wife and I are avid Bear collectors, you'll see it as a no-brainer.

I am an artist

hence touch of sable refers to the brush.

I also think sable is the animal whose framing and hunting everypne should remember protects other animals of the forest like Siberian Tigers.

So the touch of sable as it were is an eco reference too.

When I was a few years younger, a friend once made a comment about the amount of velvet in my room. Velvet curtains, a velvet blanket, the closet had a few old velvet dresses in it; what can be said, my Mother liked Velvet and her old clothing went to me.

My friend jokingly began to refer to my room as the Velvet Jungle. I have another dear friend who likes to tease me, and always calls me his "Tigress" or "Kitty Kat."

One day, two and two made four and I chose the nickname Velvet Tigress.

It beats Velvet Kitty Kat.

Kate

My friends,

I really like this thread! As the World Cup wraps up, this is just the kind of positive material that re-energizes those gears and cogs in my head that, for the past month were a wee bit distracted...given that I hadn't really been into football in the last twelve years.

So my nickname, well, is deceptively simple. My given, birth name is very long, very Italian, and inexplicably difficult to pronounce for...a lot of unsuspecting Americans, among others. I have two middle names, one of which I'm still not sure I can pronounce. Folks started calling me Joe when I was about five, simply because that's what they could pronounce. No one could really say my Italian name right anyway, at least not like I was used to hearing at home and with la famiglia. And, of course, God forbid anyone should take a crack at my last name. I stopped cursing my parents about it around high school. It wasn't their fault, they just named me after two grandfathers, then my dad. Besides, when I arrive in Italia next month, I'm unpacking my full, family-size name...even if I have to bring an extra carry-on bag.

Well, in America, over the course of three decades, the 32 letters and 14-16 syllables of my name transformed into Joe, Joey, Jo-Joe, Jose, Joe Schmoe, Joe Cool, Jody (don't ask), Elmo (ok, ask...), Joe Somebody, Joe Millionaire (*wince*), Fat Joe (fifteen years ago), Phat Joe (thirteen years ago), Joe wit' da Fro (two years ago), Joey D. (insert mafioso accent)...and if anyone's having shades of Bubba from Forest Gump, I do apologise. So this ain't no average Joe...no mo'.

ciao,

J.

Hmm when is a nickname not a nickname?? When you've thought about changing your real name to the nick *grin*

SO, where does mine come from??

Well, Barguzin is Simple... as in Barguzin Sable... which is a Russian Fur.... a fur probably worn in one form or another by Peter the Great, aka Piotr the Great..... but then again one of my favourite composers happens to be a certain Russian named Piotr Illyich Tchaikovski....

So that's how my 'name' came to being.... a love of a certain sable fur and a love of russian history (peter and Catherine the Great in particular) and classical music, of which Tchaikovsky is my favourite Russian Composer................ geee... could I be a communist subversive??

Well, in America, over the course of three decades, the 32 letters and 14-16 syllables of my name transformed into Joe, Joey, Jo-Joe, Jose, Joe Schmoe, Joe Cool, Jody (don't ask), Elmo (ok, ask...), Joe Somebody, Joe Millionaire (*wince*), Fat Joe (fifteen years ago), Phat Joe (thirteen years ago), Joe wit' da Fro (two years ago), Joey D. (insert mafioso accent)...and if anyone's having shades of Bubba from Forest Gump, I do apologise. So this ain't no average Joe...no mo'.

Hey - don't knock "Jody", ok? It ain't that bad a name to live with!!

Unclejoe

[/b]

I'm old [by this Forums standards anyway].

I love fur.

I F##t a lot.

OFF

Thank you for that rather eloquent admission.

Anywho, mine is boringly simple. I just picked the name of my favorite type of fur, and surprisingly, at the time of joining, nobody had used it.

This is a great thread, Ear! Thanks for starting it! This, along with the "Post Your Mug" thread need to be saved for reference!

FrBrGr

How many of you are into "tag talk?" At least those of you in the US? I'm not sure if those of you from other countries are allowed to have "vanity (license) plates" for your car, truck or motorbike, but in the US, automobiles, at least, can have customized license plates that tell something about the driver of the car. A tennis player may have "10SNE1" (Tennis, anyone?) for a tag, or a pilot may have "IFLYHI" (I fly high). I saw a very harried-looking woman driving a minivan full of kids the other day. Her tag said, "TAXIMOM." My accountant has "APR 16" on his plates (Wishful thinking on his part?) and once I tried to flag down a rather attractive woman with "1NTSTND" (One Night Stand) on hers. Another failed conquest was a gorgeous redhead who said on her plate, "IMGOOD." (Maybe she was good - Maybe she went to church, didn't smoke or drink . . . ) Another lady (a blonde) had "2QT4U" (Too Cute For You) on her plate. She really wasn't. I looked in my rear-view mirror one time, and saw this guy tail-gating me. I did a double-take at his tag - "2UKUF." He must have been the kind of guy who was always looking for a fight. Hold "2UKUF" up to a mirror and you'll see what I mean. I would have liked to have seen one rather attractive brunette get out of her car. Her plate read "38DD" (Maybe it's because I am a BRSTLVR . . . ) One of our local weather men has "4CASTER" (Forecaster) on his car. Mr Barguzin might have "GDAYM8" on his plate. Fun, isn't it?

Anyway - FRBRGR - or FrBrGr - is not a conjunction of the abbreviations of the countries of France, Britain and Germany, but rather the description of my favorite place to be. Me (prefurably nude) sandwiched between ample amounts of fur (prefurably fox or lynx). Like a FUR BURGER.

So now you know . . .

BrGr King?

Sorry, couldn't resist.. I've sat on it for almost 5 years waiting for a good time to spill it Now that you're our owner too, I simply could not let it slide any longer lol

Actually I knew what your nickname meant the first time I saw it. It is indeed a good one

Edited by Guest

It would be unfortuanate for someone to misinterpret if they are dyslexic(which I may be) as I read it as FR BG GR

you only have to put U's in then

I recognized it as FuR BuRGeR as well.

I had suspected the the furry burger refured to might be of the bearded clam variety though.

Anyone care to have a guess?

It has been suggested that maybe I wasn't to good at turning tricks to pay my way through uni. I have to point out that simply isn't true. I haven't had a single complaint from any customer

As for "Little Miss Attitude", it started as the name of a shop I was going to open, now its going to be my dress label, and kind of sums me up as well.

Tryxie

I was once called a snake by my bitter Jehovah's Witness ex-girlfriend. The name just kind of stuck. It's been my internet handle for quite some time now.