Do we live in best time for furs. It depends

Peltzz

Well, on one hand, reall fur is not as fashionable as it once has Been. But I'd argue is more available thanks to internet. 

Your thoughts.

• Like 1

I can only agree. Fur used to be unaffordable, now it is much more accessible and you can get it from anywhere, but the important fashion brands are steering away from real fur. 

10 hours ago, FullLengthFox said:

I can only agree. Fur used to be unaffordable, now it is much more accessible and you can get it from anywhere, but the important fashion brands are steering away from real fur. 

Yes. Another But: it's not so common anymore. A pity for fur-watchers.

I recently took a coat into one of the only furriers left in the city to get a new loop installed.. I asked them how things were doing business wise, and they said well... they seem to make alot of hats/mitts.. they don't actually have any new coats in the shop, most that were there seemed to be in for repair.. they did say things were "steady" I commented on how I don't understand why no one wears fur anymore, the daughter commented well we both know why and agreed, but she did say with how cold it is here, its almost a necessity and no one really seems to care.. I tend to agree with her... the times Ive been out for walks last winter I never had any negative responses.. one woman I always walked by on my morning walk while Im wrapped in raccoon doesnt look to happy.. you can tell she wants to say something but never does... I think this winter every day for a week Ill wear a different coat just to piss her off.. raccoon, beaver, fox, coyote, and end the week with a lynx or silver fox full length just to wreck her weekend LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I think with the recent closures of several fur farms in Scandinavian countries like Norway, it’s going to take some time for the fur trades supply line to bounce back to levels that we are used to. The vintage market will still remain strong but when it comes to new furs, expect store sales to slow to a crawl. Hopefully it doesn’t impact the industry too hard. But my furrier was already warning me that it could take 3-4 years before fox and mink sales can make a comeback. 

Yes, thanks to the internet, & low cost production in the far east new & used fur is far more affordable, as the choice is now global, as against what was available locally before the advent of the ‘net. I haven’t seen anyone wearing fur for a couple of years now, more’s the pity, but it must follow laws of supply & demand. The days of the average “housewife”, remember them? Craving a fur coat are long over.  A few old-time furriers remain in uk, doing bits & bobs & remodelling, but there a dying breed. There’s been a few start-ups, doing bits on etsy etc, & i wish them well. Hopefully there’s enough of a niche market out there to sustain a couple.

• 2 weeks later...