can anyone tell me about certain breeds of fox?

Guest MissTheresa

Hi all! I have an allergy to silver foxes, and have found a few pelts at glacierwear.com that I am thinking about. I can only get one, but I want to make sure that they are not in the same family as the silver fox breed, for fear it would bother me too. I'll list links and if anyone has any knowledge about it, that would be cool. I will be calling them tomorrow, but have to wait till 10am; if I can find the info out tonight, I'd be ordering one tonight.

http://www.glacierwear.com/detail.asp?product_id=fxx-100-bge

http://www.glacierwear.com/detail.asp?product_id=fxx-100-mbr

http://www.glacierwear.com/detail.asp?product_id=fxx-100-plpr

The last is my favorite with the black and white. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Hi Miss T.

you are probably allergic to the older stud fox that are big and, as I understand it though may have been told wrong here, have very long thick coarse guard hair, and very downy underneath, rather than the characteristic soft dense younger fur. You would probably be just as allergic to a stud/older female of almost any fox.

I have rescued fox cubs on ocassion when their mother has been run over. No problem. However when I used to share my Indian takeaway with an old bold town fox (all typical red english) he made me sneeze my head off. It was quite funny because he would yelp right back at me!! Of course that may be his (strong) scent. May be possible you are allergic to male but not female fox.

Of course there may be another reason. It could be that silver fox, originally a canadian ranch bred animal, is the reason for your allergy. It would suggest therefore that you may be allergic to any canadian fox. The majority of your dyed foxes will be Arctic or Yakut or Norwegian/Finnish.

It is actually distinct as a breed. As the others are often bred by mixing the breeds it is going to be hit and miss.

So I would ask first.

If I had to give an opinion it would be avoid the middle one. The other two look denser and softer rather than the very long coarse fur.

The last one is gorgeous...but looks close to the silver fox...but if you notice it appears to have thicker, softer fur, as the first does.

the one that is silver foxy but not in the same family is indigo fox. it is more like blue fox. be careful, not all the indigo foxes on ebay are real indigo.

thanks for the input touch... i will be phoning them tomorrow morning. i was gifted the money to get a pelt by a furry friend/slave who knows things have been a bit trying of late, to say the least. he knows who he is here, although he's been a bit absent of late.

i was thinking if there was no clear answer from them at the company that i might go with two of these instead of just one of the above:

http://www.glacierwear.com/detail.asp?product_id=fxx-100-blfr

i know the dyed blue fox would be safe. but my first choice would be the platinum frost fox, the last link you liked too. the markings are too pretty!

it isn't ebay, but glacierwear. i have gotten an arctic fox from them before, indeed it is the white little guy in my avatar with me. i think they are trustworthy and if they don't know the answer would honestly tell me. thanks furcoatman for the info.

I decided to be safe and greedy (these pelts were cheaper so I could get 2):

http://www.glacierwear.com/detail.asp?product_id=fxx-100-blfr

I spoke to Bob, the owner of the furriers in Columbus, Robert Scott Furs(formerly Leakas), about the different foxes I had questions concerning. Apparently he said to stay away from amber fox and platinum pearl as they are in the same family. He said he thinks my allergy is due to the difference in the under hair and the guard hair... the under is fluffier and more fly-away, and the guard hair is more coarse and longer. Good to know the what to steer clear from at least.

Thanks to the generous friend who wanted me to have those pelts!! " title="Applause" />

the two blue frost foxes came in the mail today!! woohoo!! very pretty little buggers! i plan on having them made into stoles, so they can be clipped together in various ways. i just bought some gemstone cabochones on ebay for their eyes. i'll be taking pics with them as they are now soon, as they're too pretty to ignore!

the two blue frost foxes came in the mail today!! woohoo!! very pretty little buggers! i plan on having them made into stoles, so they can be clipped together in various ways. i just bought some gemstone cabochones on ebay for their eyes. i'll be taking pics with them as they are now soon, as they're too pretty to ignore!
Have you Ever Thought of Getting Some Blue Frost Fox Skins to make an Enormous Fur Coat With????

that would be way cool! but right now I already have a red fox sectional blanket and the furrier just was given my plate of lynx dyed fox belly sections yesterday to make into a satin lined blanket. don't know where i would put another throw!? these foxes are the first of the blue frost type for me... great colorations. and it solves the silver fox allergy.

another fun fact the furrier filled me in on is about chinchilla. all i ever see is rex chinchilla, which i know is rabbit. i didn't realize real chinchilla is more like a rodent/hamster! so he had me try on this absolutely gorgeous, butter soft short waisted jacket... heavenly! i had to thank him for making me aware of that, as it's so rare to find something i thought i was allergic to, but am actually ok with. unfortunately, it has to be one of the more pricey furs, eh!? so, now chinchilla is on my list of furs i'd love to have one day.

that would be way cool! but right now I already have a red fox sectional blanket and the furrier just was given my plate of lynx dyed fox belly sections yesterday to make into a satin lined blanket. don't know where i would put another throw!? these foxes are the first of the blue frost type for me... great colorations. and it solves the silver fox allergy.

another fun fact the furrier filled me in on is about chinchilla. all i ever see is rex chinchilla, which i know is rabbit. i didn't realize real chinchilla is more like a rodent/hamster! so he had me try on this absolutely gorgeous, butter soft short waisted jacket... heavenly! i had to thank him for making me aware of that, as it's so rare to find something i thought i was allergic to, but am actually ok with. unfortunately, it has to be one of the more pricey furs, eh!? so, now chinchilla is on my list of furs i'd love to have one day.

How About Making those Blankets into Enormous Fur Coats????