sable fur question

paul2809

is sable fur softer than mink?? 

ive seen some lovely sable for scarves on ebay that I wouldnt mind buying in the future

i know this might sirt a little controversary , but thats not what im aiming for...

this is more inqusitvity than any thing else....

sable is softer for sure, but also much lighter, but i do not think you should compare it with sheared mink. The texture will be completely different.

personally I am not so fond off mink scarves, the guard hairs do itch my neck a bit

Sable is extraordinarily soft but is so costly that a single pelt can be over 3k if it’s super high quality. But even amongst those who are wealthy and well off, Sable is not a common sight unless you are amongst the super rich. A maxi length Barguzin sable will run upwards of $320,000 brand new. When I worked at Alaska Fur Gallery a few years back, our store sold a jacket of Barguzin sable that cost $109,000

Keep in mind that that $3K per pelt price is only for top lot pelts, of which there is only one per Sojuzpushnina fur auction.  Some top lots have a price per pelt as low as $500 or less.  Also, that $320000 price tag for a maximum length Barguzin sable coat is full retail at a high end department store like Neiman Marcus or a high end fur boutique like Yves Salomon.  Barguzin sable comes in a vast array of quality.  Just check the Sojuzpushnina auction website for the sales results of auctions.  You will see that Barguzin sable is a lot less costly than many people think.  Also, you can get a very good quality Barguzin fur coat or jacket from a Greek manufacturing furrier for $4000 to $12000.  With Russian sable, the darker the color, the more expensive the fur.  The more silvery hairs it has, the more costly it is.  Russian sable is divided into 10 geographic regions, with Barguzin being #1, followed by Kamchatsky (#2), Yakutsky (#3), Eneseisky (#4), and all the rest.  Only a coat made of super dark Barguzin sable with a ton of silvery hairs will command a retail price tag of over $100000.  Lastly, Alaska Fur Gallery is known for its super high retail prices, often double and triple the prices of other family run furriers.

Edited by imworthit

In terms of size, the Barguzin pelts are among the smallest while the pelts from the Kamchatka Peninsula and the Ural Mountains are the largest.

Edited by imworthit

• 2 weeks later...