Rex Rabbit Pelts

RobertoTheGrand

To start, I would like to let you all know that I have been milling about this site for a while now and this is my first topic/post. It a great comfort to me having found this community and I hope to spend more quality time among you people in future.

Onto the topic at hand, I have been searching for some furs, they will be the first furs that I will own and thus have 'free access' to (though that is not to say that I am a fur virgin 😉 ) and I have settled on a small selection of some variety, including a few rex rabbit pelts.

I have found a seller within my country who supplies pelts that appear to be of a high quality at what seems to me a good price against all the listings (excluding those from china) that I can find. (https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/1087261566/rex-rabbit-pelt)

I am sure that these pelts will be satisfactory, though I have just come across the Orylag or Rex Du Poitou rabbit, which has been selectively bred over a couple of decades specifically in pursuit of enhancing the properties of both it's meat and more importantly, fur. The fur of these rex are claimed to be notably more plush, dense, long-haired and uniform than other rex and what I have read on various forums confirm that this is indeed the case, though I do not discount the fact that many other rex of this breed or of similar quality could be had, not qualifying for the Orylag label on account of them not being bred under the guidelines of the organisation. Would any of you readers that have experience with Orylag care to share your thoughts? Would it be worth purchasing these pelts in preference to the aformentioned pelts?

Assuming that these pelts are indeed superior, where would I get my hands on some? I fear that they may be priced very highly on account of their prestige. Interestingly, I have found a listing on Etsy for what claims to be Orylag listed for what ends up being a lower price than the local pelts that I mentioned earlier, though I am skeptical of their authenticity. (https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/683901613/rex-orylag-fur-high-quality-rex-orylag)

I am eager to hear from you all, R.

• Like 1