Reminisces

furs limited

Sightings:

Some years ago on three different trips - 

In Paris, two different women in nearly identical 3/4 length silver fox swing coats. These were beautiful coats with full sleeves and heavy pelts. One could tell by the way they hung on their shoulders.

In Deruta, a woman getting out of her car to open her gift shop. She wore an ankle length monotone brown fox coat. It had deep fur from top to bottom and billowed as she exited her car. Striking!

In Firenze, near St. Carmine, a woman in a floor length sable, a brown between the usual  dark and the golden color. It was skin-on-skin and constructed with perfectly matched pelts of high quality. It was supple and moved beautifully as she walked toward and then past me.

I only spoke to one of the woman, one of the Parisians. I complimented her on the coat and she was appreciative and friendly.

The days of enjoying seeing furs in airports seems to be long gone. And city sightings are few and far between. The memories linger.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maybe 25 years ago, we went on a trip to Boston.  We got stranded at the St. Louis airport.  While in line to get new tickets, there was a lady wearing a full length black mink coat also waiting in line.

Same trip, on a train ride from Boston, there was a lady wearing a full length brown mink coat returning home from Downtown.

Good old days

• Like 1

Well I'm a regular flyer and I see furs on nearly every trip, most of the times parkas with often extremely big collars suggesting that the lady in question would have actually wanted to wear a full fur coat, but also full fur coats. Most popular with young girls are fox fur jackets, but nearly every year I also see at least one big fur coat like a 3/4 or full length silver fox. 

Encounters:

There have been many times I have been sufficiently close to touch someone's coat - a brush with my hand or the back of my hand. An occasional circumstance of being seated next to a person wearing fur or behind them has been nice. But almost all of these were too brief for a vivid memory.

In my teens, I followed a lovely woman in a very modern and full raccoon coat. After awkwardly finding myself next to her for a third time, she said, "You really like my fur, don't you?" Startled, I just said, "Oh, no, excuse me," and walked off. She simply smiled at me. One wonders what would have happened, if I said, "Yes, yes I do, and you are beautiful, also."?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I can remember going on a trip to Colorado around November 2003 with my sister and Grandmother and spotted about 7-8 random people wearing fur at the Denver airport. Mostly fox coats and mostly full length that would have been the largest fur sighting I’ve seen since the late 80’s/early 90’s. And I wouldn’t see another large scale sighting like that until around a decade later when I visited Anchorage for the Fur Rondy and that dwarfed any sightings in the past

• Like 3

Years back when I was going to University, Id drive my mom to work.. Id usually wear a raccoon or coyote when I drove her to work every morning.. Id often stop at the park on the way home from taking her and walk a lap of the park all wrapped up in a full length coat... there was always an older woman in the park wearing a red fox jacket and hat.. I was shy about wearing fur coats back then.. I always knew where she parked her car, we'd often cross paths at a distance and glance at one another... I would often tell myself to just park the car beside her just to spark the conversation but I never did... This was back in the early 90s when fur was still considered to be "OK" by standards... I just don't see any coats anymore... even in Winnipeg when its -30 and colder alot of the time... I think this year besides me wearing a coat everyday, I saw one lady wearing a hooded beaver jacket with fox trim around the hood.... walking in the park eary mornings before work I always cross paths with a woman, you can tell shes an anti fur and often looks the other way when we walk by one another, its rather amusing to be honest... sometimes I just want to give her a great big furry hug and tell hers its all OK .. This winter I think Ill wear a different coat everyday just to get her angry :P

So, so many!  However, here’s one…

I was a teenager who was visiting Milan on my own, in fact my first trip without my parents.  An uncle had died and left me some money so I decided to visit a city I’d read about due to my interest in opera and I really wanted to visit La Scala. 

I was staying in a hotel close to the central station and my room on the first floor overlooked the street outside where I noticed that the local prostitutes would hang around looking for business.   I had no intention of partaking of their services until the second night when I noticed a pretty girl wearing a beautiful full length mink coat.  I was quite fascinated by her and I’d look at her out my window.  Business seemed to be quite slow and she would hang around looking bored and all the while smoking Marlboro Lites. 

Well, eventually it became too much for me and I decided I at least had to try to speak to her.  So, with my heart racing, I walked towards her on the pretext of using the bank machine so if she rejected me I could always pretend I was taking money out.  She saw me approaching and smiled at me.  I said Hello and she replied ‘it’s €60 for half an hour!’  I was absolutely knocked out at her directness and managed to stutter OK!  I said I’d return in 10 minutes.  (I was young and stupid but not THAT stupid. There was no way I was going back to her room with my wallet and bank card!) 

I returned and she lead me up to her tiny flat where I paid her upfront.  I had condoms which seemed to please her.  She was about to take the mink coat off but I asked her to keep it on.  I was expecting her to refuse but she just shrugged and said OK.  I’ll spare you the details but it was both erotic and unsatisfactory at the same time.  However, after it was over I asked if she would smoke and I took great pleasure in lighting her cigarette.  She had a lovely face and I enjoyed stroking it as she smoked.  She was going out again and I held her hand as we walked down the stairs.  We left the building separately but not before she kissed me on the lips. 

I visited her every night and took her chocolates and packs of Marlboro Reds.  In many respects the last night I spent with her was the most erotic since we didn’t have sex but simply kissed and cuddled in bed under her mink coat. 

I returned to Milan the following year but there was no sign of her.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Close to home:

An early memory comes from when I would stay over with my grandparents. They rented a big old house with a huge attic. The attic was flooded in light from so many windows, it seemed like a greenhouse. Amongst all of the ephemera the owners had stored there was a long fox boa. It was the only fur and it was beautiful - soft, salt & pepper colored, and in very good condition. It likely was silver fox. My grandmother let me play with it, even winding it around my neck. In the winter, sometimes I would sleep with it. It was warm and comforting.  A nice beginning to a lifelong endeavor.

My great aunt would visit our home occasionally. She often wore long wool coats with very full fox collars. Her hugs were most welcome.

Like many of my friends, my mother had a mink stole. Unlike the minks of my friends' mothers, I was able to access the one in my house whenever the situation allowed. It induced the first discharge I had experienced. I was mildly confused that day! She also inherited a gigantic mink coat from her grandmother. It was of high quality and a seemingly endless sweep. Silky and soft, it could wrap around me 3 to 4 times. Unfortunately, she sold it after having it for a while as it was much too big for her. It was also unfortunate that one time she caught me playing with it. I was a youngster and naked. Hey, she was supposed to be taking a nap.

Another friend's mother had a very nice mink coat. She always called in mink, but it seemed close to sable to me. I seem to remember there was a "samink" hybrid at some point. Perhaps it was that. The coat was knee length, dark brown, soft, and deep. I was lucky enough to enjoy that coat a few times. By then I had reached double digits and became more adventurous in my passion.

• Like 4

On 5/12/2023 at 12:57 AM, FullLengthFox said:

Well I'm a regular flyer and I see furs on nearly every trip, most of the times parkas with often extremely big collars suggesting that the lady in question would have actually wanted to wear a full fur coat, but also full fur coats. Most popular with young girls are fox fur jackets, but nearly every year I also see at least one big fur coat like a 3/4 or full length silver fox. 

That's surprising but wonderful to hear. Especially the young girls in fox. Where do you usually have these sightings?

6 hours ago, gai said:

That's surprising but wonderful to hear. Especially the young girls in fox. Where do you usually have these sightings?

At the bigger hubs like Amsterdam Schiphol and Paris Charles de Gaulle. 

• Like 1

Shopping:

I have visited many fur stores in the US, Canada, and Europe - countless salons, department stores, and even producers. I was lucky enough to be shown, and wander through, the back fur storage rooms of Pappas Furs on the west coast and Evans Furs at Filene's Basement on the east coast. [Both of which are closed.] The countless coats and accessories thrilled me then and those still in my memory enrich me now.

Three of them come to mind immediately:

While in Germany I went into The Pelz Haus [also now closed - so sad]. After perusing the lovely fox jackets, I noticed an adjacent room that had a large collection of fur blankets. I was enthralled by one in dark fox; it was about 2 metres square. Others hanging on the wall were mink and lynx with some lesser varieties, also. I talked at length with the sales person. They were ready to deliver it to my hotel, but the price was too rich for me. I left empty handed, though richer for the experience.

Another was happenstance. I was in New York City and in the Times was an ad for SAK'S. They were bringing all of their sables from every store to Manhattan. I HAD to find time to see this collection. There were thousands of coats and accessories on one floor of their store. All the colors varieties of sable were there. I went to where the largest coats were hung. I tried on 5 or 6 of them. Generally I feign looking at furs for my wife. One coat was particularly enticing. It was extremely large with full, dark skins. As yet, it was unlined and the suppleness of the pelts was amazing. When I had it on it wrapped around me nearly two times. The sable lined hood engulfed my head and face. The aroma of new fur and leather is intoxicating. Gathering my composure, I took down the item numbers of two coats on the sales person's card and reluctantly left the store.

Only last fall I was in Italy. I went into a furrier's second floor workshop. There really was no sales floor. At the time, they were working on jackets for Gucci. The owner lamented that it was faux fur, but that he had been doing work for Gucci for a long time and wanted to keep his craftsmen and craftswomen employed. One room was hung floor to ceiling with longhair furs. Foxes of many mutations, Finn raccoon, Mongolian lamb, and others billowed from loops hung on poles that lined the room in two tiers. I genuinely wanted to inquire about a throw made from fox. We examined about four different varieties and I liked the cross fox bundle best. We laid them out, they looked so inviting. It was difficult to concentrate, let alone bargain, surrounded by such beautiful furs. The price he quoted was not unreasonable, but with customs, shipping to the US, and insurance it totaled more than I wanted to pay.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, minkme said:

furs limited, where was Pappas Furs located?

I visited Pappas Furs in Vancouver BC a bout 25 years ago. I remember their huge fur vault with thousands of coats and fur covered everything, chais, stools, and more than i can remember, as well as the gorgeous women sales people. They would model the furs and by the way they acted, im sure some used their own furs for extra curricular activities. Sensuality was all over.

Also we had a local furrier that went out of business about 20 years ago, and it was said that, while some special costomers could still get work done, their were sex parties at the closed store.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2023 at 3:55 AM, furs limited said:

Shopping:

I have visited many fur stores in the US, Canada, and Europe - countless salons, department stores, and even producers. I was lucky enough to be shown, and wander through, the back fur storage rooms of Pappas Furs on the west coast and Evans Furs at Filene's Basement on the east coast. [Both of which are closed.] The countless coats and accessories thrilled me then and those still in my memory enrich me now.

Three of them come to mind immediately:

While in Germany I went into The Pelz Haus [also now closed - so sad]. After perusing the lovely fox jackets, I noticed an adjacent room that had a large collection of fur blankets. I was enthralled by one in dark fox; it was about 2 metres square. Others hanging on the wall were mink and lynx with some lesser varieties, also. I talked at length with the sales person. They were ready to deliver it to my hotel, but the price was too rich for me. I left empty handed, though richer for the experience.

Another was happenstance. I was in New York City and in the Times was an ad for SAK'S. They were bringing all of their sables from every store to Manhattan. I HAD to find time to see this collection. There were thousands of coats and accessories on one floor of their store. All the colors varieties of sable were there. I went to where the largest coats were hung. I tried on 5 or 6 of them. Generally I feign looking at furs for my wife. One coat was particularly enticing. It was extremely large with full, dark skins. As yet, it was unlined and the suppleness of the pelts was amazing. When I had it on it wrapped around me nearly two times. The sable lined hood engulfed my head and face. The aroma of new fur and leather is intoxicating. Gathering my composure, I took down the item numbers of two coats on the sales person's card and reluctantly left the store.

Only last fall I was in Italy. I went into a furrier's second floor workshop. There really was no sales floor. At the time, they were working on jackets for Gucci. The owner lamented that it was faux fur, but that he had been doing work for Gucci for a long time and wanted to keep his craftsmen and craftswomen employed. One room was hung floor to ceiling with longhair furs. Foxes of many mutations, Finn raccoon, Mongolian lamb, and others billowed from loops hung on poles that lined the room in two tiers. I genuinely wanted to inquire about a throw made from fox. We examined about four different varieties and I liked the cross fox bundle best. We laid them out, they looked so inviting. It was difficult to concentrate, let alone bargain, surrounded by such beautiful furs. The price he quoted was not unreasonable, but with customs, shipping to the US, and insurance it totaled more than I wanted to pay.

How long ago was that experience at Saks in NY? Sounds like it'd be a long time ago.

The Sak's visit was in the 90's, I believe. I seldom have seen so many fur coats in one place, let alone ALL SABLE.

Flemington Furs used to be a place with room after room of furs as well as "Fathers' Revenge" - men's furs in an alcove in the back. I went a couple of years ago when they were selling off their inventory. I bought a used fisher jacket.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is an experience that happened to me back in the early 1990’s.   I was a musician working in an opera house in my native city in those days and I was playing in a run of ‘The Barber of Seville’ in a theatre of my native city.  I was required to wear a black shirt in the orchestra pit but my flat mate had accidentally washed my black shirts in a boil wash and, inevitably, they had shrunk.  Since it was a Thursday night and hence late night shopping I had little choice but to go to the nearest department store close to the theatre to replace them. 

Having purchased two black shirts I was descending the escalator from the menswear department through the perfume hall where I saw this very tall woman wearing a black ankle length mink coat.  She was, I later found out, 6’ 1” tall.  I really wanted to have the courage to speak to her but I couldn’t really engineer a situation where I could approach her so I had to be content with walking past her and brushing my hand against her gorgeous coat as I passed. She was oblivious as she was engrossed in buying perfume.  

Off to the theatre I went and played that night’s performance which was very successful.  Afterwords, a couple of colleagues and one of the soloists from the cast went for a drink in the theatre’s bar which, in a very civilised way, was open for an hour after the performance.  Well, I was absolutely astounded when the Max, the tenor, waved at someone behind me and who should appear but the tall lady with the black mink coat!  So, she joined us for a drink and I was able to chat to her.  

Her name was Audrey and she was a big opera fan and had known Max for a very long time.  Whilst there are some glamorous people attached to opera, Audrey was not one of them.  Although she was very tall and had a very good figure she certainly wasn’t what one could call pretty.  She had very sharp features and a coldness that seemed impenetrable although we had no problem talking.  Despite that, she did have an elegance that compensated for her lack of beauty.   I was quite entranced by how she sat down and shrugged off the mink coat which she wore over her shoulders and lit a cigarette in one flowing movement.  She was beautifully dressed underneath. After half an hour, my colleagues left to get their train home and Max was assimilated into a group of gushing admirers leaving Audrey and I on our own.   We continued to talk and eventually, once the bar closed, she asked if I’d like to go on somewhere else for a nightcap.  Of course I agreed and I had the exquisite pleasure of helping her into her gorgeous mink coat.  

We were very close to the city centre and she suggested we go to the bar of a very expensive hotel for a drink.  She ordered whisky for me and champagne for her and we got to know each other better.  I learned that she lived in the wealthiest part of the city and that her background was one of absolute privilege.  Her late father had been very wealthy and as a result of this, she had never done a day’s work in her life!  Her day was spent going to the gym and spa, shopping and drinking and smoking.  She had gone to finishing school in France after school and had learned to cook but that was the extent of her education.  She told me she’d never married and was quite happy living alone in her huge flat.  

After we called it a night we exchanged ‘phone numbers and I walked her to the taxi tank where there was a queue.  It was very cold and she snuggled into her gorgeous mink.  Earlier, she’d told me she had a new mink coat made for her every year since, due to her height, she couldn’t buy off the peg.  We had a lovely kiss and a cuddle in the taxi queue and she whispered to me ‘I don’t have a boyfriend’.  

So, we ended up having a nice relationship for a few months.  

• Like 9

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/24/2023 at 7:12 PM, dongleboy said:

This is an experience that happened to me back in the early 1990’s.   I was a musician working in an opera house in my native city in those days and I was playing in a run of ‘The Barber of Seville’ in a theatre of my native city.  I was required to wear a black shirt in the orchestra pit but my flat mate had accidentally washed my black shirts in a boil wash and, inevitably, they had shrunk.  Since it was a Thursday night and hence late night shopping I had little choice but to go to the nearest department store close to the theatre to replace them. 

Having purchased two black shirts I was descending the escalator from the menswear department through the perfume hall where I saw this very tall woman wearing a black ankle length mink coat.  She was, I later found out, 6’ 1” tall.  I really wanted to have the courage to speak to her but I couldn’t really engineer a situation where I could approach her so I had to be content with walking past her and brushing my hand against her gorgeous coat as I passed. She was oblivious as she was engrossed in buying perfume.  

Off to the theatre I went and played that night’s performance which was very successful.  Afterwords, a couple of colleagues and one of the soloists from the cast went for a drink in the theatre’s bar which, in a very civilised way, was open for an hour after the performance.  Well, I was absolutely astounded when the Max, the tenor, waved at someone behind me and who should appear but the tall lady with the black mink coat!  So, she joined us for a drink and I was able to chat to her.  

Her name was Audrey and she was a big opera fan and had known Max for a very long time.  Whilst there are some glamorous people attached to opera, Audrey was not one of them.  Although she was very tall and had a very good figure she certainly wasn’t what one could call pretty.  She had very sharp features and a coldness that seemed impenetrable although we had no problem talking.  Despite that, she did have an elegance that compensated for her lack of beauty.   I was quite entranced by how she sat down and shrugged off the mink coat which she wore over her shoulders and lit a cigarette in one flowing movement.  She was beautifully dressed underneath. After half an hour, my colleagues left to get their train home and Max was assimilated into a group of gushing admirers leaving Audrey and I on our own.   We continued to talk and eventually, once the bar closed, she asked if I’d like to go on somewhere else for a nightcap.  Of course I agreed and I had the exquisite pleasure of helping her into her gorgeous mink coat.  

We were very close to the city centre and she suggested we go to the bar of a very expensive hotel for a drink.  She ordered whisky for me and champagne for her and we got to know each other better.  I learned that she lived in the wealthiest part of the city and that her background was one of absolute privilege.  Her late father had been very wealthy and as a result of this, she had never done a day’s work in her life!  Her day was spent going to the gym and spa, shopping and drinking and smoking.  She had gone to finishing school in France after school and had learned to cook but that was the extent of her education.  She told me she’d never married and was quite happy living alone in her huge flat.  

After we called it a night we exchanged ‘phone numbers and I walked her to the taxi tank where there was a queue.  It was very cold and she snuggled into her gorgeous mink.  Earlier, she’d told me she had a new mink coat made for her every year since, due to her height, she couldn’t buy off the peg.  We had a lovely kiss and a cuddle in the taxi queue and she whispered to me ‘I don’t have a boyfriend’.  

So, we ended up having a nice relationship for a few months.  

This is a wonderfully sensual story. You are a lucky man and a great story-teller!

I love this thread…because it has the potential of being neverending as more memories start popping into our heads and each one of us is willing to put a little effort into what they’ve seen through their own eyes. Hoping we can encourage each other to share their thoughts and hopefully it jogs a memory or two that was once dormant.

Most of my reminisces stem from the mid to early 2000s - a little before and a little afterward. When I get a moment to write more, I’ll some of my favorites.

• Thanks 1

Nice thread indeed. Many reminiscences. Let's try a first one.

As a young man, long time ago, I was in a group travelling to Japan during winter. All the women were older than me, in their forties and fifties, and were wearing their furs. Mainly minks and a few foxes, long and ample coats. For ten days I was surrounded by those beauties. This is more than forty years ago. In those days women knew how to wear their furs and they clearly enjoyed the feeling of being part of a 'fur squad'. A trip never to forget.

Back in the late 1980s, I had to go to Massachusetts for training after Thanksgiving.  It was a two week class.  On our last day, our graduation was canceled due to a snow storm coming in.  They wanted to get us to the airports before we get stranded.  I had an evening flight so I had to wait hours at the airport.  Snow continued to fall as I wait for my plane.  As I wait at my gate, I noticed there was a lady wearing a full length fur coat sitting near my gate.  Then later, another lady show up wearing her full length fur coat.  Both ended up in my flight.  The plane was almost empty.  I can't remember what kind of fur they had, it was forty years ago.  I was too afraid to complement one of the ladies.

• Like 1