Differences between Crystal fox, indigo fox and blue frost

Panther10

So I just picked up my first indigo fox coat earlier this week and I’m kind of struck by how similar this fur is compared to Crystal fox and Blue frost. Is there any real difference between these three furs when it comes to things like the density of the underfur, length of the guard hairs, the size of the skins? Or is it more like they are all basically members of the same family of fox species and they each make up 1/3 of the same color spectrum? (I.e. copper - taupe > taupe - indigo > indigo slate - frost)

The blue frost morph was created by crossing a silver fox and a blue arctic fox. They are also known as the indigo or blue-silver fox,

And crystal fox is a silver fox or blue frost fox that goes through a crystalling process. The crystalling process adds red and blonde tones to the underfur, while retaining much of the silver and black tipping of the guard hairs.

4 hours ago, furnz said:

And crystal fox is a silver fox or blue frost fox that goes through a crystalling process. The crystalling process adds red and blonde tones to the underfur, while retaining much of the silver and black tipping of the guard hairs.

So crystal fox is dyed? I wouldn't expect that. I have the impression it is some kind of cross between silver fox and some other fox type but I'm not an expert. What is nice about crystal fox is that it has a volume like silver fox while being slightly softer. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FullLengthFox said:

So crystal fox is dyed? I wouldn't expect that. I have the impression it is some kind of cross between silver fox and some other fox type but I'm not an expert. What is nice about crystal fox is that it has a volume like silver fox while being slightly softer. 

Eehhh not really. I’ve purchased several crystal fox coats over the years and the hairs are much more similar to the aforementioned indigo fox or maybe even a red fox. The guard hairs are usually only 1”-1 1/2”!long and the underfur isn’t all that particularly dense either. Silver foxes, (even lesser quality skins) usually have a pretty thick pile. More on par with a blue fox on the low end and then a fin raccoon on the upper end 

From furhatworld

Crystal Fox Fur

A crystal fox is a silver fox or blue frost fox that goes through a crystalling process. The crystalling process adds red and blonde tones to the underfur, while retaining much of the silver and black tipping of the guard hairs. This process creates a unique colorway that’s truly stunning. It’s a sought after material that’s used when creating fur fashion and decor pieces.

Origin: North America, Europe, Russia and Australia
Wild or Ranch Raised: Ranch Raised
Texture: Soft and dense fur
Typical Length of Fur: 1.5 – 3 inches
Natural: Black and silver tipping with rusty red and blonde underfur
Special Qualities: Beautiful color and luxurious texture
Softness rating: 9/10
Warmth rating: 9/10

2 hours ago, furnz said:

From furhatworld

Crystal Fox Fur

A crystal fox is a silver fox or blue frost fox that goes through a crystalling process. The crystalling process adds red and blonde tones to the underfur, while retaining much of the silver and black tipping of the guard hairs. This process creates a unique colorway that’s truly stunning. It’s a sought after material that’s used when creating fur fashion and decor pieces.

Origin: North America, Europe, Russia and Australia
Wild or Ranch Raised: Ranch Raised
Texture: Soft and dense fur
Typical Length of Fur: 1.5 – 3 inches
Natural: Black and silver tipping with rusty red and blonde underfur
Special Qualities: Beautiful color and luxurious texture
Softness rating: 9/10
Warmth rating: 9/10

Hmm whenever I see a crystal fox the hairs are usually very fine, kinda like this 

IMG_4837.jpeg

Edited by Panther10

Also I might as well ask this because I’ve been feeling somewhat conflicted when it comes to my new indigo/black fox coat, but would you say this is a casual fur or is it too  formal to wear for my everyday winter needs? I used to take my blue fox and silver fox almost everywhere in the winter time because they offer a certain ruggedness that allows me to wear them more casually. But with my indigo fox coat I feel like I have to be more conservative in my approach and only save this one for really special occasions. And I haven’t been able to really take advantage of those in a post pandemic environment.  So I can really use everyone’s input. 

IMG_6176.jpeg

IMG_6177.jpeg

IMG_4491.jpeg

IMG_3251.jpeg

IMG_3250.jpeg

IMG_3252.jpeg

Edited by Panther10
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, furs limited said:

That does seem a bit more formal. Great collar by the way.

Thanks! Yeah I mean admittedly, the design of this coat was based on some of the more popular fox coats form Brands like Oscar De’ La Renta and Christian Diõr from way back in the late 70’s and 80’s, just with a more modern twist. But I think my furrier did their job a little too well because this feels like the fanciest piece I’ve ever owned. It might end up being a bit of a struggle to find a place where I can wear this appropriately. 

Unfortunately, I haven't had the luxury of owning either a blue frost fox or indigo fox, but I can confirm the crystal fox methodology is 100% true, because I do happen to own a full set of crystal fox fur (from head to toe; hat, coat, vest, boots and gloves). By the way, that coat makes you look like a billionaire, Panther!

Edited by FurGodOfFurGods123

4 hours ago, FurGodOfFurGods123 said:

Unfortunately, I haven't had the luxury of owning either a blue frost fox or indigo fox, but I can confirm the crystal fox methodology is 100% true, because I do happen to own a full set of crystal fox fur (from head to toe; hat, coat, vest, boots and gloves). By the way, that coat makes you look like a billionaire, Panther!

Well thank you for the kind words lol. If only I was a billionaire, that way finding formal places to wear this coat wouldn’t be so taxing to find 

I just bought a blue frost fox coat and would say it’s like a cross between your normal blue Fox and a silver fox coat. Not quite as soft a blue Fox, but has the silver fox luxurious feel to it. Hard to explain haha

2 hours ago, a_man_of_many_foxes said:

I just bought a blue frost fox coat and would say it’s like a cross between your normal blue Fox and a silver fox coat. Not quite as soft a blue Fox, but has the silver fox luxurious feel to it. Hard to explain haha

No that makes sense. It takes on the qualities of both its parents. Also it just dawned on me that I own a blue frost set that I completely forgot about. It’s a pair of mittens and leg warmers that I purchased way back when we were first having issues with those polar vortex storms around 2016. I just grabbed the pieces and compared them to my new coat and they are remarkably different. The hair is indeed coarser on the blue fox compared to the indigo and it also has more of a grayish tone instead of frost. I’d say it’s like the difference between granite and quartz. Similar in pigmentation but very different in texture 

image.jpg