Vintage?

mailonfurs

As a designer and manufacturer of new furs,

I do not understand why some purchase vintage furs, and even pay a lot of money for a 30-40 year old garment. That I could never figure out.

Could someone please enlighten me on this?

Mailonfurs,

As an example: I recently purchased a vintage double fox fur stole in pristine and i mean pristine condition. I paid

I believe what Kostas (mailonfurs) is getting at is why people would invest in a fur garment that is at or past the end of its useful life. I can understand people liking some of the vintage styles, but vintage garments are seldom worth the expense if one is looking for a wearable garment.

In working in my friend's fur store, I have frequently seen "vintage" garments come in for repair where the leather is so dried out that it is totally impossible to repair. Dried out leather will quickly rip with the slightest stress. Attempting to sew dried out leather just creates a perforation line that rips instantly.

I am definately not talking about 10 and 20 US dollars.

I've seen vitage minks, nothing special (probably not even special in their time) sold for 500-600$.

In general that kind of mink should have sold for MUCH less. One thing I have noticed on ebay is old things sell for more than they are probably worth and nice things sell for much less than they are worth.

I was just looking at a vendors used mink prices today. And, you are correct his $200 items were selling for $600. But, I question he will sell them.

AK, I know exactly what you mean. And, people want to think their furs last forever. They have not learned the fur ages at it hide level even when the fur looks great. It literally will crumble on thin hide pelts.

Linda