Rainy Sunday, Furniture Store Visits, and FUR RUGS

FurRugLover

Today is a rainy Sunday, and one of my favorite things to do on a rainy weekend is to visit furniture stores that are known to have fur rugs on the floor because it takes me back to when it all started (see https://uggling.tumblr.com/about for full story).  So I went to this one store that I last visited several years ago with a friend, and on the floor, was a large octet sheepskin rug that was being trampled by lots of women's shoes and boots as it was in the section of the store where most of the stuff were for for the younger female crowd.  I just LOVE how shoes are allowed on the fur rugs that seem so soft and "clean" (even though shoes are most dirtiest things there today given the wet, muddy grounds outside) and yet, they must stay OFF the furniture.  If you think you've seen the fourth photo (the split-frame photo) before, you are right...it was taken at the same store several years ago - not today - and I have already posted it here before.

52222190997_27af1aa23e_o.thumb.jpg.2efa7819ee3015316d12978932221e38.jpg

52223194716_f5deea78b3_o.thumb.jpg.c7917e0c65efbb1f47085dddf4d76c6c.jpg

52223211698_bcd78f1c91_o.thumb.jpg.2742886c118b6a22577e3793c8913623.jpg

50035296446_f23d63c1eb_o.thumb.jpg.fe88191b6bdebd2c328ead12e25f9f98.jpg

Years ago, there was a fur store in Canada that I loved to frequent. It was located on the second floor of an old stone building. As you came up the stairs there were bookshelves along one wall. That were now being used to stack and sell small pelts, rex & rabbit, mink, fox, squirrel, muskrat, etc. It was clever salesmanship. In that no one could resist touching the various pelts as they came up the stairs. I am positive some people never had any intention of buying pelts. But, after touching the soft furs; were enticed into buying some. I could only imagine how those pelts provoked their fantasies.

As you arrived at the top of the stairs there was a huge black leather sofa fully covered in a pure white, blue fox blanket and sheered beaver pillows. The fox fur was discolored and stained form the 100's of people that sat and laid on it. The sofa sat on top of a rug made from Canadian red fox. Their faces were intact. The pelts were laid out in a large circle still with tails. A glass coffee table was over the center. There were also small throw rugs surrounding the showroom floor; black bear cubs, caribou, elk and deer. The sales counter took up one wall. Behind that was a worktable and 50 or so fur coats hanging up. Some for-show, others were finished and waiting for customer pickup. Along the other wall was a 3-sided mirror in the center and examples of fur garment you could have custom to order. Made from all kinds of different types of furs; coats, fur pants, fur jock straps, boxers, briefs, rugs, there even a fur jumpsuit: coyote fur both inside and out. Almost everyone that came into the store fondled and caressed that fur. 

The other wall was a massive window and a railing along the stairwell wall. It was the kind of room that not only looked inviting. But you felt so comfortable being surrounded by all that fur. Unlike 99.9% of the fur showroom stores that you usually encounter. Cold and unfriendly with a salesperson ready to jump down your throat, Macy's, Harold’s, Bloomingdales, etc.   

It was always fun to watch people of all ages, male and female. Coming up the stairs, pelts in hand. Looking at the fox, bear-cubs and caribou rugs scattered around the room. Always hesitating at first to step on any of them with their dirty street shoes, some wet and with salt, while other just dirty. But after, being given the go ahead. Most really enjoyed seeing those pelts beneath their feet, getting dirty. One young girl got off on stepping on every fox tail. Laughing and singing ring around the rose.  I remember a boy about 13 or 14 squatting down on the head of a bear cub and OMG could you hear him breaking wind. As his 2 brothers stood there laughing and joking. His parents' faces turning beet red! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, coyote 1 said:

Always hesitating at first to step on any of them with their dirty street shoes, some wet and with salt, while other just dirty. But after, being given the go ahead. Most really enjoyed seeing those pelts beneath their feet, getting dirty. One young girl got off on stepping on every fox tail. Laughing and singing ring around the rose. 

Thanks for the great story.  I LOVE furs that have been on the floor of stores, and I especially love how they seem deceptively clean when in fact, they could easily be the second dirtiest thing on Earth after the bottom of shoes - much, much dirtier than carpeting in an office or a classroom.  In fact, my first fur rug - a black tailed deer skin that I purchased from a vintage store when I was 15, which I still have to this day - was used on the floor of a store where a week prior to my purchasing, a group of young pretty girls visiting the store had stepped all over it with their shoes and boots on.  I also LOVE the contrast between how it was perfectly fine for them to step on the fur in their dirty shoes (one had gum on the bottom of her their shoe) yet when one of them tried to put their feet on the bed (beside the fur rug) with shoes on, an employee yelled at them and afterwards, they took their shoes off leaving them on top of the fur rug before climbing on the bed in their socks.  The deerskin rug was also located quite close to the entrance so almost everyone who entered the store had stepped on the fur rug (at one point, I even caught the said employee wipe the bottom of her high heels on the tail of the rug after coming in from the rain).

35187035536_f2cf3aaf14_o.thumb.jpg.d1aa551e54c838e2b087024bf495599b.jpg

Edited by FurRugLover

I  remember going to a small fur shop.  They had a fur rug on the floor.  i remember walking around it.  The furrier said it was OK to walk on it.

12 hours ago, minkme said:

I  remember going to a small fur shop.  They had a fur rug on the floor.  i remember walking around it.  The furrier said it was OK to walk on it.

What type of fur was it?  On the floor of a store, there is no need to ask if you can step on it...I just go right ahead and have never encountered a problem.

Edited by FurRugLover