Visit Edinburgh

rufnaf

I'm going to visit Edinburgh in early winter. Is the city user friendly for the use of fur coats, is it possible to see coats on the street easily, as seen in Rome, Milan, London?
Thanks to anyone who can answer!

Well, I live in Edinburgh and can assure any visitors that they will not be intimidated by anti-fur protesters!  I wear fur throughout the winter and all I receive are compliments. 

I’ve been ‘fur spotting’ for almost 30 years now and there’s no rhyme nor reason to the amount of fur to be seen at any given time.  I’ve been to Milan and Edinburgh is very poor compared to what is one of my favourite cities.  Most of the fur to be seen in Edinburgh will be worn by tourists although there is a small part of the indigenous population who will not be bullied out of their furs. 

Most fur will be seen at the tourist hot spots such as The Castle, The Royal Mile and Princes Street.  For some odd reason, Tuesdays are a good day for fur spotting! 

• Like 2

There used to be a well known department store called Jenners in Princes Street where one could reliably see women wearing fur but, alas, it’s closed now although there’s talk of it re-opening.  The street in the New Town that runs parallel to Princes Street is George Street which is MUCH more upmarket although that isn’t as reliable for seeing furs as the hot spots I mentioned.  

The one time when one could guarantee seeing fur was Hogmanay but it’s been very thin on the ground these last few years. (Even before Covid).  

Please let me know if I can be any help. 

• Like 1

My experience of Edinburgh is that the fast majority of fur to be seen is faux. Not against that in any way but sadly sometimes the quality to be seen is pretty lousy. Can't recall the last time I saw real fur.

I went to Edinburgh with my wife this Christmas. Although she wore fur, there wasn’t many other people wearing it. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2022 at 12:44 AM, Furcoats said:

I went to Edinburgh with my wife this Christmas. Although she wore fur, there wasn’t many other people wearing it. 

She wasn’t wearing a ankle length sheared black mink by any chance?  

On 5/16/2022 at 8:01 AM, dongleboy said:

She wasn’t wearing a ankle length sheared black mink by any chance?  

Unfortunately not, but she was wearing an oversized raccoon fur hood with matching hat and cuffs. 

• Thanks 1

i think in general there's a bit more of an easy approach to fur coats, you'll find a lot of girls in edinburgh wear them. saw two in rex rabbit fur coats at the markets last xmas!

On 5/16/2022 at 10:55 AM, IanBru said:

Fur aside, I can't imagine why anyone would travel to Edinburgh by choice, when Glasgow is MILES better.

Better travel to Frankfurt instead of Glasgow, it's miles better 😉

That was a hell of a night Wednesday...

btw, Frankfurt is although good town in terms of fur spotting. And nice as well.