Widening shoulders on a fur coat

northernfur

I have a few fox fur coats that are tight around the shoulder area and I was wondering if furriers are able to make the coat wider in the shoulders without damaging the fur. If it’s possible, what does this typically cost?

It's always more difficult to add material than removing. It will be very hard to find a matching fur colour. Sometimes straps of leather are used in fur coats to make them less bulky, I suppose adding leather might be an option, but if it is to widen the shoulder this might also change the collar. The price will depend on the amount of work, but it is hard to say anything about this. Best thing is to just get a price quote from a furrier and he will tell you. 

Furriers can take fur from the hem if there is enough extra.  Another option is that the furrier can send your coat to a fur museum, I think that is what they are called.  These places will have a collection of used furs.  They will match your coat with furs of the same color and texture.  A furrier can buy these pelts to use as material added to your coat.  I guess they can also shorten your coat and use that fur on the shoulder.