How is it

paul2809

How is it that guys like me are drawn to darker colored furs IE: mahogany mink and other dark colored furs..also such as silver fox ? Dark beaver and racoon furs??

Is it a guy thing?? 

The darker furs seem to reflect the light waves differently. I adree, for the most part they look better.

Some of the darker dyed furs are indeed softer after dying, as the darker dyes break down something in the hair making it more plush. Sheared nutria is a perfect example of this. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 10:54 AM, paul2809 said:

How is it that guys like me are drawn to darker colored furs IE: mahogany mink and other dark colored furs..also such as silver fox ? Dark beaver and racoon furs??

Is it a guy thing?? 

Sounds more like a personal preference thing to me. Because I own a Silver fox, a white fox and a blue fox. And I'm looking to get a Golden Island fox next. And I'm a guy. So I would say that whatever preferences about furs that you have, they are not a reflection that 99% other people share. People like what they like. It just runs the gamut.

You probably have an intuitive sense of what colors wear better for you.

Personally, I don't like gold jewelry.  I don't think it looks good on me.  Maybe a gold ring but that's as far as it goes.

I usually only wear silver, platinum or stainless jewelry.

I stay away from nickel.  Nickel is a sensitizer.  It's not toxic in normal amounts but you can become allergic to it if you are exposed to it a lot.  I worked in a plating shop for about two years and had high occupational exposure to nickel.  I don't want to chance getting "Nickel Itch."

You're probably similar.  You just "know" what colors and tones look best on you and you naturally gravitate toward furs that look better on you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my opinion, Dark Furs are not a "guy thing", so I totally agree with SlyRoxy.   Personally, I enjoy wearing both dark and light colored furs.

I have a black Mink jacket that I wear for daily outings and casual occasions, while I wear my full length Coyote for formal events and when it is very cold.  I am a blonde and love the contrast of my hair with dark furs.  I am actually looking to add a black Fox jacket to my furs.  Probably won't get it right away, as this season is almost over, but hope to buy it for next season.  As Panther10 indicated, dark or light fur is really a "personal preference".  I also agree with Worker11811, you will know what looks good on you.  

Agree that darker furs might be seen as more masculine for an average man to wear in public... I've noticed a lot of men in Toronto this Winter wearing vintage raccoon and coyote coats... As much for the statement than for the warmth... Vintage is allowing a lot of people to wear fur almost ironically... That works for me!

Personally, I would want to own and wear a big flamboyant golden island or white fox fur coat around the house or up north, but I don't think I would get the desired reaction around town... Not that someone might confuse my sexual orientation, but more that glamorous/light color furs look more affluent and attention-seeking... Dark is more conservative and classic for a man to pull off well/with style.