Fur Coats you DON"T like?

Guest CruelIsHot

Here's a topic I haven't seen before. Post a picture of a coat you dislike and why. Not trying to be negative, I just thought this would be an interesting aspect of our unique ways of loving fur to cover.

here's mine:

http://imgur.com/WQ9o1mk

I don't like patchwork dyed furs like this. It looks tacky to me and loses the connection to the animal that is such an important aesthetic aspect of furs. Agree or disagree, please share. i'd love to see what y'all dislike (if anything)!

I agree! They're trying too hard to be stylish. It distracts from the greatness of the fur as is.

There are some others that I cannot currently recall. I make it my business to find as many of the likeable furs as I am able; I tend to discard ones that don't curry favor!

NOT to defend the above patchwork atrocity, but fur manufacturers will try to make something out of larger fur scraps to reduce waste.

• Like 1

I'm not too fond of short haired furs. I'm also not a fan of coats that have chevron patterns, or pelts that are extremely lightweight to the point where they are more bathrobe than winter coat, or even coats that have that separated collar design.

I'm not too fond of short haired furs. I'm also not a fan of coats that have chevron patterns, or pelts that are extremely lightweight to the point where they are more bathrobe than winter coat, or even coats that have that separated collar design.

What do you mean by separated collar?

I don't like the old style patchwork rabbit coats, and I'm not fond of any patchwork coat. Not big on leopard either. Give me thick furs! Coyote and fox please!

What do you mean by separated collar?

Its when you have one of those collars that look they were sewn on top of the coat or jacket after the fact, rather than the collar being a single uniform piece that blends in with the rest of the pelts.

Here is the best example I could find:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/108496490@N03/13524937743/in/album-72157642413027513/

You see where the base of the collar and the rest of the fur seem to overlap? That is what I am referring to. I can't stand that design. When you have an otherwise beautiful coat that is broken up by a collar that looks like an afterthought...such a shame.

hmmmm interesting. let me see. probably will be mostly styling hate than the proper furs, but here we go

- short fur coats (with the bonus "extremely short sleeves" and "collar less design"; 2x multiplier if it's a redesigned 3/4 ou full lenght vintage fur)

collarless-elegant-round-neckline-short-sleeve-rabbit-fur-coat_30409.jpg

- ziper clousures (please please PLEASE, hook and eye is acceptable, but the combo big buttons + fur belt is unbeatable; ziper just make it loss a lot of it's glam [note: I know the pain it is to do button housing on fur, that's why I started to like hooks])

Haoduoyi-burgundy-imitation-fox-fur-coat-zipper-lapel-temperament-long-sleeved-fur-coat-free-shipping.jpg

- monkey fur (it looks like a wearable wig)

870ba239e631ba3f03b259c1b1de4820.jpg

- fur parkas (I don't like parkas at all, but then, it is... trend)

ea73.jpg

- bizarre designed coats (ok, I know, I tend to be antiquated about designs overall, loved those 80's styling exaggeration, but there are some people that's too futuristic to be true)

mosxj4-l-610x610-coat-red-fur-jacket-rihanna.jpg

and for last

- strange heads with frightening eyes (look, I'm ok with collars with the entire pelt, although I'm more a fan os tails but... why the hecking heck they need to do the eyes looking like they're on coccaine? they did best "eye jobs" before and after...)

il_214x170.867569163_9f9q.jpg

I think it's all. in the end, internet made me like persian lambskin fur heh

otter unsheared nutria seal broadtail

I like alpaca, but why can't they seem to get the leather to be more supple when they tan it?

i don't like to be misled and put leather under the sleeves on a perfect coat turns me off.

have only seen that on vintage coats (thank god) and i think they must have run out of fur then doing it.

Not a fan of the collarless style of furs. I love it when the collar brushes up into my face.

Also furs that are shaggy like others were saying, or any kind of fur that is cropped or short sleeved

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I don't like raccoon fur. The look and tye feeling. I have to admit it's soft, but not in a way I personally like. The hairs are long, too much space / air between hairs, not dense enough. Hard to explain but I just don't like touching it.

Plus gotta say it's a nasty animal that digs in trash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I really hate beaver fur, its coarse and horrid unless plucked. coypu, nutria, or muskrat are crap furs too, like a poor mans mink. don't like feathering or chevron patterns on fox coats either, i like to see the animal patterns of the full pelts. any cheap fur disguised as something more expensive is usually crap too.

"Don't like" is difficult. I rather think about which ones I love 🙂 But if I must say GeaWulf is kinda strange. It can look amazing but the hair is not soft and rather harsh...

I don't like the "monkey fur" neither, same is true for some mongolian lamb furs.

Neither do I like fake fur, not just because it is fake, also because it looks either to "clean"/"uniform" or shabby. That's to say I do like real vintage fur, also when shabby.

These furs are those I don't want to see, or rather replace with nicer ones. There are a lot more which wouldn't be an option for me, like trapper-style furs (whatever I mean by that). Although I respect someone wearing them. Some of these, like cheap fox jackets with a lot of space between the fur stripes, also have their own virtue, like making fur affordable for more people.

On 4/14/2016 at 4:38 AM, Marcel said:

i don't like to be misled and put leather under the sleeves on a perfect coat turns me off.

have only seen that on vintage coats (thank god) and i think they must have run out of fur then doing it.

I suggest that has it's virtue, like increasing the size of a smaller coat or increasing the temperature range to warm. Anyway I have to admit I like them.