Is there a difference between Rex rabbit and chinchilla?

punisherthunder

Long story short.

I was talking to a furrier friend and he told me that while the two are different animals, the pelts are identical to softness and luster.

Is there any truth that chinchilla and Rex rabbit are basically the same?

They are similar in look and feel, but no they are quite different.

The chinchilla is quite superior, in depth, density, and touch, but it is a fragile fur.

One pays dearly for the difference.

Chinchilla also has very thin leather giving it little strength and making it very susceptible to rips. In general, you are better off buying Rex dyed to look like chinchilla as most people cannot tell the difference and the Rex should last longer.

yes there is a big difference, they are surly not in the same fur league, chinchilla is so much thicker and softer. Rex is much cheaper though, that is true. I would kindly propose to visit a good furrier and feel and see for yourself. Sad thing will be that you likely will love chinchilla much more.. oepssss there goes the money

Well I was at the furrier and there were two pieces on the table. I thought it was chinchilla the whole time but he told me rex. He said the softness is identical (he didn't have a chinchilla piece in the place for me to compare with). My wife has been pushing for a chinchilla coat, but I showed her the piece and she couldn't tell at all it was rex and just raved about it.

Surprised your "Furrier" did not have any items even trimmed in real Chinchilla. I agree with others that the softness and lightness of real Chinchilla is like nothing else. However there is a huge price difference and Chinchilla does not wear well. If your wife plans to wear the coat often than stick with the Rex. With the money you'll have leftover you could by her a nice mink that will last 30+ years. The main thing is she is going to wear it and you want her to wear it often so get what she wants and you won't be sorry.

Chinchilla is harder to work with and coupled with the expense, very few furriers will have any chinchilla pelts in stock. Also as many furriers are basically retailers these days rather than manufacturers, they have no need for chinchilla pelts.

• 6 years later...

Oh yes. Chinchilla is very sexy, but I agree the pelts are very thin and weak. I had bouth a 3/4 hooded fur coat a few years back

and It was taken to a fur shop for cleaning and repairs. Well only a few months after the arm pit area had torn way out and the 

coat was never the same. It constantly had to be fixed. but the feeling is un like any other. maybe someone should gene modify the 

chinchillas to have better and thicker hides. Just and idea. 

• 3 months later...