Best Fur Holiday Destinations

Furcoats

I’ve recently bought my wife to be a number of fox fur coats and i’m desperate to see her wear more of them outdoors. It’s my 30th birthday at the end of the year and I was wondering if anyone knew any winter holiday destinations where fur is widely worn so she would feel a little more comfortable showcasing them. We spoke about Finland as being a potential but I’m just curious as to hear what someone else might suggest? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Furcoats said:

I’ve recently bought my wife to be a number of fox fur coats and i’m desperate to see her wear more of them outdoors. It’s my 30th birthday at the end of the year and I was wondering if anyone knew any winter holiday destinations where fur is widely worn so she would feel a little more comfortable showcasing them. We spoke about Finland as being a potential but I’m just curious as to hear what someone else might suggest? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

I wouldn't saw widely worn but Whistler, British Columbia Canada may be one to consider - my wife wore her full length Crystal Fox coat there every evening during our stay in our Winter outing and felt fairly comfortable. They even have a fur / winter wear shop called Snowflake in the Upper Village.

• Like 1

Northern Italian cities might fit your bill: Milano, Torino, or even Firenze. 

There's always the Alpine ski resorts, too.

The Canadian cities throughout the country are generally more hospitable to furs.

• Like 2

Where are you from? And where do you want to spend your holidays (North America vs. Europe, etc.)? City, ski resort or something else?

Usually I'd recommend Russia ☹️

So I’m from the UK so ideally in and around Europe. We’re only going away for 5 days at a maximum so I think a long haul flight is out of the question. That’s being saved for later down the line. 

Vienna and Prague are very nice in the winter months. I was last at the beginning of march in Vienna and I saw so many nice fur lady’s. Many sables, chinchillas, nice modern minks and tons of fake furs. 

• Like 2

Not sure it’s a vacation destination, but downtown Chicago always has plenty of furs. Love it here

On 3/27/2022 at 5:34 AM, furs limited said:

Northern Italian cities might fit your bill: Milano, Torino, or even Firenze. 

There's always the Alpine ski resorts, too.

The Canadian cities throughout the country are generally more hospitable to furs.

Being from Winnipeg where it was pretty well -30 all winter... I think I saw 5 furs all winter... 

I wore mine almost daily and stopped for walks in the park on the way home... no one ever said a thing... The last bay fur salon in the city closed mid January.. they never had much anyways... there are really only 2 fur stores left in the city now.. one the owner is pretty grumpy dude... I remember going in looking at coats once and was looking at a long coyote womans coat and he was rather rude when he said "That coat is made for women" My thoughts are who really gives a **** which way the clasps do up these days... no one even notices that stuff unless you really are looking for that... the other is a nice friendly shop I use for repairs.. he doesnt actually really stock to many coats... has a nice selection of hats and mitts though...

Canadian city wise, I think the only places you will see an abundance of furs are the cities in Quebec to be honest... 

Thank you all for your suggestions. Canada is 100% on our bucket list but we have decided to take an extended 3 month break when we are older to see if it’s viable to move there. I’m desperate to visit!! 

Switzerland maybe an option I haven’t considered

On 4/6/2022 at 1:05 AM, Furcoats said:

Thank you all for your suggestions. Canada is 100% on our bucket list but we have decided to take an extended 3 month break when we are older to see if it’s viable to move there. I’m desperate to visit!! 

Switzerland maybe an option I haven’t considered

Just to give you some basic ideas:

I looked into moving to Quebec City / Province. First of all you have to be 100% fluent in French and have a skill that is rare and needed in that Province. You can buy your way in by giving the province $400K to use as they wish. It will be returned to you without interest in 5 years. You can also put up a bond and start a business. The easiest way to move into Canada is to find a company that is hiring in Canada or go to work for a US company that has offices in Canada. After a set period of time you can apply for citizenship. BTW Canada is desperate for health care workers in their more remote towns.

The main reason it is difficult to become a full-time resident in Canada it's because their health care and retirement plans. Their health care system is strained to the max. I did however enjoy spending 5 months in Canada and the rest in the US. As a US citizen you are allowed to live in Canada up to 182 days a year. I had a very small apt. in Montréal. If you need health care in that time the basic cost is $500.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 8:02 AM, razer2 said:

Vienna and Prague are very nice in the winter months. I was last at the beginning of march in Vienna and I saw so many nice fur lady’s. Many sables, chinchillas, nice modern minks and tons of fake furs. 

I remember one guy posted a lot of great street fur ladies on the old FFG forum. The pictures were all taken in Prague city centre... I swore to myself to visit Prague in winter... someday I will... 😉

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2022 at 5:57 AM, Furcoats said:

So I’m from the UK so ideally in and around Europe. We’re only going away for 5 days at a maximum so I think a long haul flight is out of the question. That’s being saved for later down the line. 

Take a trip to Glastonbury.. anything goes there. I am in Dorset and found anywhere out if the cities is pretty tolerant. 

On 4/19/2022 at 3:24 AM, claw said:

I remember one guy posted a lot of great street fur ladies on the old FFG forum. The pictures were all taken in Prague city centre... I swore to myself to visit Prague in winter... someday I will... 😉

I wonder if it's still like that now, and if fur is worn often. Especially by young ladies.

Montreal, Canada... Period!

Even the vintage/thrift stores are over-flowing and have too much fur to argue with you over price...  4 coats for $100 at one shop my last time...

Plan to pick up a few coats, and sell 2 of them on Ebay when you get home to pay for the trip!

• Like 3

On 7/4/2022 at 9:16 PM, CoyoteFox said:

Montreal, Canada... Period!

Even the vintage/thrift stores are over-flowing and have too much fur to argue with you over price...  4 coats for $100 at one shop my last time...

Plan to pick up a few coats, and sell 2 of them on Ebay when you get home to pay for the trip!

Wow! 😳

Canada wide there is a site called kijiji .. if you search for furs in the Montreal area, the amount that comes up is crazy!! 

• 3 weeks later...

So having spoken extensively to my now wife, we’ve narrowed it down to ‘Lapland, Finland’ or ‘Iceland’ or ‘Amsterdam, Netherlands’ thinking of going over new year so all of the above will be super cold. Unfortunately travelling to Canada/ US is definitely something we will do later in life but as this is only a 4/5 day trip we need to be closer to home to make the most of it. Will let you all know when we decide for sure and of course will add photos nearer the time.

Paul, when do you think you will go.  We were in Denver this past February.  Wind chill was near zero and a dusting of snow.  We went shopping.  No furs in sight.