At what age did you buy (or were given) your first fur item?

FurRugLover

At what age did you buy (or were given) your first piece of fur or object made of fur?  How much did you spend?  And what was the item (i.e. A coat? Rug? A stuffed specimen?)?

23 minutes ago, Shy_Fur_Guy said:

2004. Rabbit fur jacket purchased from eBay. I think I paid $25 plus shipping for it.

Nice...rabbit fur can still be had at reasonable prices today on eBay.

This is kind of a difficult question for me to answer because fur has always been common place in my life; for example.

Deerskin, sheepskin and goatskin rugs were on the floor of the cabin. My favorite pullover shirt/jacket with fringe as a boy, was made from deerskin. I have a picture of myself about 6 or 7 years old in a winter jacket, a cotton shell and fully lined in sheepskin. However, the earliest exciting experience with fur that I can remember; was seeing my grandfather trap 2 raccoons. I really wanted their tails for the handlebar of my bicycle and the pelts ended up as table mats on the nightstands on either side of my bed. Our cabin was close to the Chagrin river I can still see the 1st mink I trapped. I loved to play ice hockey and I used that mink to line my protective cup.  Around age 11 for spending money I raised and sold rabbits live or dressed down.       

15 hours ago, coyote 1 said:

This is kind of a difficult question for me to answer because fur has always been common place in my life; for example.

Deerskin, sheepskin and goatskin rugs were on the floor of the cabin. My favorite pullover shirt/jacket with fringe as a boy, was made from deerskin. I have a picture of myself about 6 or 7 years old in a winter jacket, a cotton shell and fully lined in sheepskin. However, the earliest exciting experience with fur that I can remember; was seeing my grandfather trap 2 raccoons. I really wanted their tails for the handlebar of my bicycle and the pelts ended up as table mats on the nightstands on either side of my bed. Our cabin was close to the Chagrin river I can still see the 1st mink I trapped. I loved to play ice hockey and I used that mink to line my protective cup.  Around age 11 for spending money I raised and sold rabbits live or dressed down.       

Sounds like an exciting head start!

Nice to log in after so long. 

I was gifted an adult sized Alaskan Inuit-style grey rabbit and fox-trimmed parka in 1991, on a trip, which fit me for years.  I wished I could have worn it everywhere, but I quickly realized it was not the style for my circumstances.  My pro-fur Italian family were also obsessed with patriarchal gender roles.  So boys in fur had to be either hypermasculine …or entertainment.  

When I was about 16, a friend “confessed” a love of furs to me, amidst a climate of anti-fur vitriol, so we started buying vintage pieces starting with a very good 70s blue fox with a shawl collar.  I was college aged when eBay hit the internet, so from then on,   I’ve had a revolving collection.  

I was roughly 24 when I bought myself my first new piece, a full-length men’s coyote, which I eventually sold to one of the members of the very first iteration of this forum.