any auto mecanics in here?

paul2809

Based on a bit of experience, I think google is a bit erratic on car searches for mechanical stuff...

If this is something basic I might be able to answer, but my mechanical knowledge is more aviation related.

• 3 weeks later...

Searching the internet can help you find solutions to car problems but it often takes a sustained application of the right "Google-Fu."

I recently had a problem with my car.  It stalled in the middle of the street and wouldn't start back up again.  I had to get it towed back home and it took me a while to figure out what the problem was because I didn't have the money to pay a mechanic. After some searching and reading a few help forums, I figured out that the alternator had gone bad and the battery had been completely drained.

With the help of an auto repair forum and watching a couple of YouTube videos, I was able to replace the bad alternator with one salvaged from a wrecking yard.  I recharged the battery and, eventually, got the car running again.

So, yes, you can get help fixing your car, using the internet if you try but you will have to do your homework.

What, exactly, is wrong with your car?  Even if there isn't anybody here who can tell you what to do, maybe we can help you find a place on the internet that can.

What kind of car, model and year, is it?

What is the car doing that it shouldn't or what is it NOT doing that it should be doing?

11 hours ago, Luigi said:

So I recommend to shift to the second gear (mechanical gear box only) 😉

after pressing the throttle to the floor 

11 hours ago, Worker 11811 said:

Searching the internet can help you find solutions to car problems but it often takes a sustained application of the right "Google-Fu."

I recently had a problem with my car.  It stalled in the middle of the street and wouldn't start back up again.  I had to get it towed back home and it took me a while to figure out what the problem was because I didn't have the money to pay a mechanic. After some searching and reading a few help forums, I figured out that the alternator had gone bad and the battery had been completely drained.

With the help of an auto repair forum and watching a couple of YouTube videos, I was able to replace the bad alternator with one salvaged from a wrecking yard.  I recharged the battery and, eventually, got the car running again.

So, yes, you can get help fixing your car, using the internet if you try but you will have to do your homework.

What, exactly, is wrong with your car?  Even if there isn't anybody here who can tell you what to do, maybe we can help you find a place on the internet that can.

What kind of car, model and year, is it?

What is the car doing that it shouldn't or what is it NOT doing that it should be doing?

also hanging in specific brand forum makes you save a few bucks and learn alot about your car.

There is a certain kind of pride in taking ownership of your own car when you learn how to fix it.

It could be something a simple as replacing the air filter or changing the oil.  Regardless of how simple or complex the thing you do, working on your own car to the best of your ability is rewarding because you don't feel like you have to be dependent on others to take care of your own car for you.

1 hour ago, Luigi said:

... I could't agree more but you do not need to go that far (picture attached)

DSC_1205.jpg

those tires are cool

I think those are tires from the front end of a farm tractor.  It looks like the wheels have been welded onto a homemade frame.  I see what I think is a transmission but no engine.

This contraption would not be street-legal, by any means, but it looks like the makings of a great dirt buggy!  😄

...true in almost any aspect. This is half way of the exchange of a 25 HP 4 cylinder Diesel engine of 1.8 liter displacement of an 1956 Mercedes UNIMOG type 401... 🙂

Makes sense, now.

Are you restoring the UNIMOG or making it into a dirt buggy?

From what I see by searching Google, there are lots of people who fix up UNIMOGs for off-roading.

• 5 months later...

Pardon me please for venting

I've had nothing but expensive repair bills with my Nissan... just got some kind of solenoid replaced on the vvt.. system ... if any one knows what that is.... down side, repair wasn't cheap... upside is that I won't have this Nissan much longer.... 

Looking for pickup truck starting spring time after the first of the year

3 hours ago, paul2809 said:

Pardon me please for venting

I've had nothing but expensive repair bills with my Nissan... just got some kind of solenoid replaced on the vvt.. system ... if any one knows what that is.... down side, repair wasn't cheap... upside is that I won't have this Nissan much longer.... 

Looking for pickup truck starting spring time after the first of the year

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/04/how-to-replace-a-variable-valve-timing-vvt-solenoid/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLnNlLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANJbsi8tJCyImmWuG-VYGhZc6kAzIHmjBm58gXX6uFpZzIdpdpnW1IBeBCrfKObXIkJpw03FFeN9xMv3BXRCCTQfeMFREw3C_bVXlHXAlqfvsxrIl5Rkejvo82XHgn-ChYMpiawHSx7KWJA5BhigGeYScnbvHn8aDIzaKVMihLUu