Fur Friendly Countries

paul2809

just out of curiousity.......

what are the most  fur friendly countries outside 

the United States to live in?

• 2 weeks later...

and Turkey, but that may be because they have a lot of Russian visitors.  I went to Kemer (Antalya) this Summer and counted at least 6 Fur Shops in the nearby town.... they can't all be climbing to the top of Mount Olympios!!!

• Haha 1

SimonG........

what regions of Canada ?? BC?? Vacouver? any others during a winter that I can wear my fur coat and scarf and fur hat in??

• 3 months later...
On 12/14/2019 at 5:37 PM, paul2809 said:

Is Switzerland fur friendly? I ask because I keep seing ads on fb for travel destinations 

Yes. You see quite some furs around, especially in Zurich, Geneva, Basel and Suisse Romande. Sometimes also worn by younger ladies. Fur hoods and fake furs are also all around.

I can't imagine a Swiss blaming you publically for wearing fur. If they dislike it (there are of course some people), Swiss usually won't tell.

Of course you have the famous ski resorts St. Moritz and Gstaad...

On 12/14/2019 at 5:37 PM, paul2809 said:

Is Switzerland fur friendly? I ask because I keep seing ads on fb for travel destinations 

No. You might get offended. Most of the people do not have a mindset like the ones in St. Moritz.

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, paul2809 said:

Switzerland ?

I would love to visit there

Screenshot_20200929-085404_Facebook.jpg

If you're referring to Marcel's post then no, Copenhagen is in Denmark. If you are asking whether or not Swtizerland is a great place to visit, it sounds like it would be but as people have mentioned above, it's region specific. So some places are more fur friendly than others.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2020 at 7:09 PM, Marcel said:

I always enjoy the shopping street in Copenhagen during x-mas, they got three furriers now

You Danish? The shopping streets (Strøget) in Copenhagen is nothing like it used to be. In the early 80' s I worked in the "expensive end" , and there probably was at least 20 different fur shops within a few hundred yards of shopping street. I did not even know, there were three left, I thought they had all closed or moved? I only remember one from the last time I was there, a little fur shop in Amagertorv. But, great if another two have opened 🙂 

Denmark in general is a fur country, I'd say. If the weather is cold, you'll see a lot of furs, including a lot of furs from the 80's. But, the general fashion has changed, now it is a lot of parkas with heavy fur trimming and fur lining. Also, I wear furs out as a man and I've never heard anything but compliments (excepting a few) for my furs, and if I wear my furs to a bar, so many people, both women and men, want to touch my furs or wear them for selfies. 

A picture I took myself during the one cold day last winter 

blåræv 2 kbh.jpg

• Like 2

Italy in general is pretty cisgender-conforming, meaning most of the "power furs" are still being worn outside by women.  But I've seen more garment out and about there, even as recently as last year, when the temperatures were higher than I would generally wear my collection outside in the US.  

Then again I think it's a question of lifestyle and social environment.  It's not just a country itself.  I've seen more men in fur in Chicago, Detroit, and New York, but very rarely in everyday working environments like in my 1980s youth.  Fur sightings at events like Snow Polo St Moritz in Switzerland, or luxurious ski resorts in Cortina D'Ampezzo in Italy or Courchevel in France or even Aspen Colorado USA are predominately because of tourists (some wealthy, some simply fabulous) and not the locals. 

That said, and I'm sure if you've been to these places you'll concur,  the fur crowd are very grateful they have a safe space to flaunt what we enjoy.  

Honestly, from experience, Black Americans have created the most fur-positive culture that is inclusive of working-class people.  Spend enough time on social media and you'll notice. 

I have met men in fur from Argentina, and Buenos Aires during winter is on my post-pandemia travel list.  

The trip will be worth the quarantine!

Edited by Joe

On 10/13/2020 at 2:20 PM, mofur said:

You Danish?

Swedish Malmö.

Birger Christensen, Stampe Pels are on Ströget and BALCI is on kongens nytorv

• 5 weeks later...