Fur friendly winter vacations

paul2809

Id like to find out from yall about fur friendly destinations in colorado or kansas or missori?

I know that i can drive to colorado and kansas..

Any further north of colorado.. Ill have to fly...

im wanting to take a snowy winter vacation next year christmas 2019..

I realize that i have plenty of time to plan this out...

Aspen and Vail are very fur friendly cities. I don't think Missouri is a fur friendly state. Neither is Kansas. Both states are too far south and don't really see much of a winter that gets cold or snowy. As a general rule, cities or states that are in elevation or further north is the way to go as far as places that would be ideal for a winter trip. So places in Canada like Vancouver, Alberta, Montreal or Winnipeg , US Cities and states like Salt Lake City, North/South Dakota, Montana, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York City, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Massachusetts. New Hampshire and Egg Harbor/Green Bay in Wisconsin are probably your best bets. Alaska is a good choice too but I would wait till February/March because you have the Iditarod and the Fur Rondy that happens around that time. Also Christmas is not the best time to visit Alaska because there is like 22 hours of darkness and bitterly cold. So those conditions are not ideal. So I would narrow down your selection from there and find out what state or city fits your budget.

I can tell you being from Winnipeg, you won't see many furs at all.. our typical winter day from late December til late February is high of -15C (or colder) and lows of -25C (or colder) you'd think you would see PILES of furs, but you don't.. I think all last year besides me I saw 10-15 furs at most... About 30 years ago there were probably 8-10 fur stores in the city, 3 downtown literally corner to corner, the Bay, Eatons, and 3 or 4 more... now there is really only one store that sells new coats , and the Bay, but they dont have a large selection, and you aren't going to find a huge full length fox or coyote there.. lots of dyed mink shorter style stuff.. As much as Winnipeg is built around a fur trading post, you'd never know it now! I think Alberta (Banff area) is pretty anti fur as well.. I know for a fact that Montreal and Quebec City are very fur friendly though... as for North Dakota, in the times Ive been down there in the winter to Grand Forks or Fargo, never saw anything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi FMB. To be honest, Scotland's not great for seeing fur. The temperature does drop but it's quite a damp climate which isn't really conducive to fur wearing. Most of the fur I see tends to be worn by tourists although there's been less around the last ten years. Having said that, I've seen more students wearing furs that are obviously 'hand me downs' from mothers, aunts or grandmothers.

No one will bother you though when you wear your furs. Have fun.

O that's a pity that furs not as popular as I thought it would be but we'll wear ours and hopefully stay warm and have a few ppl ask about them. Is London any better?

I believe London is better especially in the extremely affluent West End area. A visit to Harrods may yield some sightings especially mink and sable. However, this is balanced by the increased likelihood of being challenged about your fur wearing although I believe the more extreme elements are not as voracious as they once were. There are also fur shops in London including Harrods itself.

Good luck!

O ok thank you. Is there anyone in Scotland who would like to show my wife and me around? Love to get some advice from some locals. Fur wear optional lol.

New York especially this week, the 8th of February until the 16th. New York Fashion Week Fall/Winter collections will bring the fashionistas out -- and that means, regardless of the weather, the best fur sightings of the year. This is a different crowd than the holiday tourists in their grandma's minks, the occasional vintage fox, and faux faux faux. I guarantee there are "some of us" attending the shows, walking the streets, and enjoying all the city has to offer. See you there!

J.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

New York especially this week, the 8th of February until the 16th. New York Fashion Week Fall/Winter collections will bring the fashionistas out -- and that means, regardless of the weather, the best fur sightings of the year. This is a different crowd than the holiday tourists in their grandma's minks, the occasional vintage fox, and faux faux faux. I guarantee there are "some of us" attending the shows, walking the streets, and enjoying all the city has to offer. See you there!

J.

I was just out near Cooper Union and saw a guy in a lovely Coach brown shearling coat (fur on the outside)

• 1 year later...

so I never had the chance to take  personall furry vacation...

I actually was pretty sick and couldnt go any where...... 

any one reccomend any good places to stay in CO.... for hanging out and eating??

not nescsarily for skiing..... I would love to meet up with fellow fur here from the website.... 

for christmas 2021..

• 9 months later...

Whistler,BC Canada in the winter time seemed like a fur friendly place to take a Wintry walk in the Upper or Lower Village without concern of the stink eye from others. In fact, there’s a Womens clothing shop called Snowflake in the Upper Village that sells fur related apparel.

My wife and I strolled around at night in the Upper Village and she had her full-length Crystal Fox coat on. Beautiful environment when the Christmas lights are out!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 9/27/2018 at 5:16 PM, Panther10 said:

Aspen and Vail are very fur friendly cities. I don't think Missouri is a fur friendly state. Neither is Kansas. Both states are too far south and don't really see much of a winter that gets cold or snowy. As a general rule, cities or states that are in elevation or further north is the way to go as far as places that would be ideal for a winter trip. So places in Canada like Vancouver, Alberta, Montreal or Winnipeg , US Cities and states like Salt Lake City, North/South Dakota, Montana, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York City, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Massachusetts. New Hampshire and Egg Harbor/Green Bay in Wisconsin are probably your best bets. Alaska is a good choice too but I would wait till February/March because you have the Iditarod and the Fur Rondy that happens around that time. Also Christmas is not the best time to visit Alaska because there is like 22 hours of darkness and bitterly cold. So those conditions are not ideal. So I would narrow down your selection from there and find out what state or city fits your budget.

Kansas and Missouri both experience cold winters. The really cold weather usually occurs in January.  Furs are not worn very often, outside of church and formal winter events. So you won’t see the average person wearing one out and about, unless it’s frigid, polar vortex temperatures. However, you might see me wearing one of temps drop below 40 degrees F. 

Kansans and Missourians tend to be very casual, plainly dressed people, unless it is a special occasion. But people here still appreciate furs. I don’t receive much, if any, anti-fur sentiment, and doubt you would either.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 5:16 PM, Panther10 said:

Kansas and Missouri both experience cold winters. The really cold weather usually occurs in January.  Furs are not worn very often, outside of church and formal winter events. So you won’t see the average person wearing one out and about, unless it’s frigid, polar vortex temperatures. However, you might see me wearing one of temps drop below 40 degrees F. 

Kansans and Missourians tend to be very casual, plainly dressed people, unless it is a special occasion. But people here still appreciate furs. I don’t receive much, if any, anti-fur sentiment, and doubt you would either.

The places where I have feltt most comfortable wearing fur (parka or full length) are: Vail, Colorado;  Quebec City, Quebec; Ottawa, Ontario; Ancorage, Alaska (where I buy and store some of my furs); Old Montreal, Quebec

I plan on going by greyhound,  and not driving my awd..at all, just not worth the risk..

I've been told there is a city bus transit in Colorado springs...

Its not that I want to be by my self... I don't wanna be alone and I'm gonna try to find an all inclusive package for Colorado springs...