The World Cup

Mr Barguzin

Oh Furelli, how can you say that; if you has been in a pub rammed with p*ssed up England fanatics you wouldn't have said that; or were you? I really enjoyed England's world cup campaign and followed it like a passionate fan should; well until the penalty shoot-out (I stood outside as i just could not watch it).

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Barguzin

• snowleopard

• allfurme

• introalfa

Oh Furelli, how can you say that; if you has been in a pub rammed with p*ssed up England fanatics you wouldn't have said that; or were you? I really enjoyed England's world cup campaign and followed it like a passionate fan should; well until the penalty shoot-out (I stood outside as i just could not watch it).

I know better than to rub it into a pub full of p*ssed up English fans

I found that the overwhelming feeling at the end of the campaign was one of being cheated out of a performance, all along people have been saying that this World Cup was there for the taking & the England team had an excellant chance to make the SF at least & with the way the group stages finished & there route to the final it shoulda been a gimme - I watched grown men cry after the QF loss to Brazil in Japan as they felt that team had delivered - remember the 3-0 demolition of the Danish - suddenly Englerland were world beaters again & justified until somehow they froze vs Brazil. An unreal performance when it was there for the taking & for me they haven't improved at all since that loss.

This time around it was a feeling of resignation (If it hadn't been Portugal than France would have beat them after what they did to Brazil was the talk) as not one game had filled anyone with optimism so lacklustre were the performances "Until it was too late" - granted 10 men fighting like Lions after Rooney & Becks departure - Everybody I know couldn't believe how poor the team played with respect to the talent available & really felt cheated, to be honest I've not met or spoke to many people who have been impressed by Engerland's World cup campaign.

Granted thou' they were passionate on the night & the blind optimism was flowing but once the hangovers had subsided well........... Sorry we don't agree Allfurme, that's jus my experiences & observations on the campaign hence "It had already run it's course before July 1st"

Sorry fellah BUT it really was a criminal waste of talent & you should be asking Sven for a refund

I must say i have totally enjoyed the world cup, well with the exception of the Sweedish master tactician. Funnily enough i really enjoyed everything that went with our campaign. The blind optimism, the atmosphere the build up to the games, the past match discussions that have dominated work. Yeah our games were not the greatest, but i personally will always savour the Joe Cole strike against Sweeden.

With regards to the final it is too close to call. Having said that France to win by the odd goal. Italy have the better defence, France the better midfield although only just and France the better attack, if Henry actually looks interested and decides to stamp his mark on the game (not like a rooney stamp i mean).

Must coment on the 2 semis as i havent as yet. The Italy v Germany game now sits alongside the Brazil V France from Mexico 86 as one of the greatest games i have seen. A footballing Classic. As for the Portugal V France game, that was dire and just made me thing even more that with a half decent manager England would be in the final by now.

Come on the Germans tonight for third place and then please lets have a classic final and not one where fear of defeat is the key factor

But wouldn't you love to know what transpired resulting in Zinadine Chest butting that shap??? (Martin, as in Tyler called it a head butt.... that wasn't a head butt.... THIS is a head butt..... oopppss visual humour doesn't work without a camera, does it *sigh*)

So once again the Azzuri win.... AND can thank a referee for their victory. I Know, France had their chances, the Italians had a goal disallowed... but the ref could quite easily awarded France another spot kick.

Oh, and Furelli?? The next World Cup is next year I think... as in Rugby Union. At least there you can put your weight into the tackles... and the only diving done is of the swan variety after a length of the field try are scored. Long range tip: Australia will make the Qtrs... but either NZ or France will win.

Congrats Italy for winning the 2006 World Championship of football!

My thoughts go out to Zinedine Zidane in this moment - my greatest icon of all times in football history. Tonight he walked off the pitch as a fallen hero in shame after headbutting down Materazzi in the 110th minute. The last of the camera recordings shows his back passing the golden trophy with his head down low.. Such a shameful ending to such a spectacular carriere.....

I do indeed wonder what Materazzi said to Zidane... Regardless, there is no excuse for his actions.

A great WC it has been - And my heart already longs for the next one in 2010.

Edited by Guest

Indeed the world cup is over (well as i said it finished on the 1st July).At least the ******* portuguese didn't win it.

The only problem is now there is a vacuum to be filled, what else can we chat/argue about; well there is always fur i suppose

Oh, and Furelli?? The next World Cup is next year I think... as in Rugby Union. At least there you can put your weight into the tackles... and the only diving done is of the swan variety after a length of the field try are scored. Long range tip: Australia will make the Qtrs... but either NZ or France will win.

B'ave lad tis comin Ireland's way, AB's only play well 3 outta every 4 years, everybody knows that (we hope) & the best bit........

I GOT TICKETS FOR ALL OF IRELAND'S GAMES & Also England vs Boks & vs Samoa Well made up after missing out on tickets for Germany (As Ireland didn't qualify )

Back to proper footy - As for Italy winning the World Cup (rather nobody else really wanted it enough....?) JUS GET OVER IT WILL YER - They beat you fare & square - you had 30mins vs 10 men & did an Italian job on yerself

The Queen is on her personal yaught when she sees Ronaldo looking panicked in the water,

All of a sudden a huge shark surfaces and starts to attack the footballer!

As the Queen urgently tells her pilot to turn to help, she sees Rooney, Beckham and Lampard arrive in another boat.

As Ronaldo fights for his life, Rooney throws a harpoon straight at the sharks heart, killing it.

'Thank the Lord!' The Queen calls, I thought that after the World Cup you boys would be holding a grudge.

'But I can see that you have let bygones be bygones!' and she tells the pilot that it is safe to go back on coarse. 'The Queen knows bugger all about Shark Fishing!' Rooney huffs. 'How's the bait?'

very good.

Rooney disgraced England and is the reason we didnt beat Portugal.

Zidane has disgraced France and he has lost the world cup for france.

This is not a game for thuggery. They should even be both done for assault.

There are children watching and that is no example to set.

Italy? What can you say?

negative, old fashioned defensive counter attack stuff. Will set football back 20 years.

The USA were the only team to score a goal against them in open play.

they are like that tortoise defensive shield system the Romans used to have.

france deserved to win and Zidane owes his nation an explanation. I used to get frustrated when I was reaching; sometimes the kids used to make me feel like belting them. But you do not. You are paid as a professional not to. And footballers are pasid an awful lot.

A dissappointing finale to a terriffic world cup. But it happens so often.

The Portugal germany game was far far better. Why did Scolari wait till the last 15 minutes to bring on Figo and Gomez???!!! Idiot. Nino Gomez played for 35 minutes in the world cup the whole tournament and scored one of the best goals. And the Sweinztiger goals were good too.

I guess an old saying sums it up;

Football, a gentlemans game played by hooligans.

(Rugby, a hooligans game played by gentlemen).

I rather stick to the original.

Football, a gentlemans game for criminals,

Rugby, a criminal game for gentlemen.

All the drama we have seen, crying for cards and all that moaning.

In rugby you get banned for life if you headbut or any of the other

"attacks" we have seen (elbows).

Rugby is the real deal and the average money earned is about the same now as in soccer (sucker!!).

And both pale into inignificance next to steeplechasing.

When you have seen Jockeys get up immediately after falling, with bones protruding through their wrists, collarbones causing bizarre protrusions, noses spread across the face and teeth all over the grass and a gaping red hole where they should be, it makes you humble in the face of bravery.

The jockeys forst main consern is to his horse. He will get up, and if the horse is still down he will dive on it so it doesnt get up in a panic(in case it is injured). Then, of the horse gets up and is calmly led away, the jockey is offered a lift back by the ambulance. I had to lend my belt to a jockey once who wrapped it around his broken wrist so he would not miss his ride in the next race.

Broken fingers are very day. they never seek attention.

And here is the thing.

They get

Personally, I'da kicked a certain Italian player rather than dropping the head into his chest... and the kick woulda been aimed a hell of a lot lower.

Racism has no place in sport... or this planet.

Spoken by an ex-rugby (union) player

Football, Rugby, Horses, no its all about Speedway now. No brakes people that what it is all about and they have Sophie Blake doing the interviews to boot.

Actually i am already missing the football, roll on the start of the premiership and the start of a new football thread. That one can run all season.

With regards to the final. I though an early goal would do the game good, but they equalised so soon after that it all went slightly negative again except for a few flashes of inspiration. I honestly would have prefured it settled in 90 mins and i think if Toni's header had stood that would have been much better than seeing ZZ turn into a nut job. Not pleasant. I would just like to say though that i thought he was going to get away with it and i wouldnt be suprised if tv footage was used, given the length of time it took to produce the red, though FIFA will never admit that in a million years.

Well done Italy, at least you have something to cushion the pain when the corruption fall out kicks in this week.

I agree about speedway its the only other thing which requires bravery as much as steeplchasing.

Racism? What are you on about?

Its not about skin colour. They both look the same to me.

A French insulting an Italian is like an Aussie insulting a welsh. Its not racism Piotr!!!! Call me taff all you want; or sheep s******. remember ozzies have the same reputation anyway!

Ahhh so he's played the race card as the excuse for his madness & total lack of indiscipline

Sorry but for whatever the reason, you're Captain of a team in the World Cup final & you headbutt someone who insults yer heritage &/or yer parentage (alledegely) - C'mon!!!! It's Absolute insanity, the best way to get back at someone is do the business on the pitch - Sticks n Stones an all that........ he simply wasn't getting the bizz done & lashed out

If the guys a racist, put him on the spot & let his teammates deal with him but don't fall into his trap........ absolutely brainless & pisspoor excuse for my part.

PS - TOS, Zindane's heritage is North African, Algerian I think so probaly Matterazi was avin a pop at that - he's always been a problem that fellah, we had him at Everton for a coupla years & he spent more time banned than on the pitch & when he did get on he scored 3 goals.......ALL IN OUR OWN NET.......

So then Piotr - Football thread? I don't think some of us can wait another 4 years - Would that include all forms of footy - even your form that oft decends into a 18-a-side brawl

Well, let me see....

Australia has bashed Ireland and England in Rugby Union of late....the Kiwis have thumped Australia.... and this weekend the South Africans are lining up to do Australia.... in the second match of the Tri-Nations series.... (We gotta find a front row SOMEWHERE SURELY.... hm wonder if the Iralian is available WEG).

Aussie rules is well and truly up and running, as is the local League and union competitions..... (Go the Swannies!!!.... and when Oh when will Souths win another game *sigh*)

And finally, the local football (soccer) competition is getting under way this weekend with the preseaon comp. And ToS, Qwight Yorke is returning to Sydney for another season *grin*

people who live in glass houses shoundnt throw stones.

I mean come on...Italians? We have hundreds of words for them...and err....none for Algerians.

If that is true then he desrves to be punished by FIFA aswell...however he is claiming he didnt.

There is no excuse for Violence to be used against words in my humble opinion in any case.

But certainly racist slurs should be clamped down on by the ruling body.

I beleive it is also a sending off offence.

Bothe should be heavily fined.

however I think even fines that are heavy...in the thousands of