"Chick" Poem

ReFur

This is really for our ladies. It is a "Chick" poem. But, thought you guys might enjoy it, too.

Found it when I was going through a very ugly divorce over 15 years ago. Was cleaning up my document files, which something I do when it is easier clean than to continue to hunt for lost articles.

The "ugly divorce" reminds me of what a friend told me then, too. You know why some divorces are not ugly?: they have no love, no money and no children. Probably truth to that.

Hope you enjoy the poem.

Comes The Dawn

After a while you learn the subtle difference between holding a hand and chaining a soul.

And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning and company doesn't always mean security.

And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts and presents aren't promises

And you begin to accept your defeats with your head up and your eyes ahead, with the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child.

And you learn to build all your roads on today because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans and futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.

And after awhile you learn that even sunshine burns if you get too much.

So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul instead of waiting for someone to buy you flowers.

And you learn that you really can endure that you really are strong and you really do have worth.

And you learn, ... and you learn, ... with every goodbye you learn.

- Victoria A Shoffstall 1971

Refur,

I started to think like that and shortly after left my wife! As the saying goes 'Life is too short'

I remember reading this in Anne Landers (in the weekly paper, essentially the same thing as Dear Abby). It's funny how these sorts of things find their way to the surface from time to time.