What's my job

White Fox

No, actually you were so close and are veering off of it again.

Since you were so close I think I am just going to give you the exact answer.

The fellow I am thinking of works with those huge old monuments in our old cemeteries. Those big monuments that are often 5 meters (15 feet) high or so. They are Huge and their weight is unbelivable and many are gradually tipping over time. So many old cemeteries are unsafe due to those and the slightly smaller ones that are still high. Or parts falling off of the monuments when kids play around them So, the fellow's job is to go in and straighten those old monuments and to make our old cemeteries safe again. Also, to repair smaller ones as well some times.

As mentioned, there are not a lot of people doing this kind of work working on those HUGE monstors. Two in Ontario I think. Some places there are more but often when there are some of them are doing the job incorrectly due to lack of knowledge on their part.

So, there you go. That is what "The Job" was. The job of the fellow that I met just last week. Probably one of the most dangerous jobs around. As those huge old monuments can weigh a half a ton or even a whole lot more.

You folks really did have it, as you were so close. I never thought you would get that close! And so quickly. Just shows how fast that a very few correct questions can get you to where you wish to be.

White Fox

WOW I never heard of this kind of job, for one person. Where I live if something happens to our cemetery its up to the city to take care of it.

Yes, and in most cases what happens is that if a huge obelisk monument begins to tip the city employees are told to put a tractor against it or something similar and knock it over. Then, to gather up the parts and generally they take all to the dump, though sometimes they save the lower parts to preserve the data carved in there. You will remember how many monuments have what looks like big "Urns" on top of them? Often they become hazards as well, becoming disconnected from the main stone, so kids can climb and knock them off, etc. About 60 to 80% of those are loose today. You can image what would happen if a 500 pound obelisk, or a 50 pound "Urn" lands on a kid's head. Or adult's for that matter.

The main cost of the work is the huge amount of insurance that the contractor must pay. Then the labour. Then the fact that they can only work maybe 7 months of the year or so. Up here anyhow. The reason I know about this is that I have worked on MANY smaller monuments repairing them, and finding them after they became buried, and bringing them back to life, on a volunteer basis. I've even worked on many monuments that are as high as 2 meters in height. A fun job really though quite physical. I've worked on many thousands on a volunteer basis.

The worst part of all of this is that back in the 70's to 2000's, monument companies began to cut corners to outbid the competition. One way they did it was to put in shallow v shaped bases. Now those almost new monuments are already tipping and causing all kinds of problems. Where as most of the old ones didn't begin to cause problems til they were 80 to 100 years old. You only get what you pay for.

White