Site slowness...

If you have noticed this site being a bit slow at times, it is probably due to traffic here a bit more than doubling in the past month. If any slowness appears excessive, I suggest you try accessing the site at a different time of day. While that suggestion may not work if you like to chat with like minded members, it is the best I can suggest with our current hosting arrangements.

Preview is very slow,then posting 30 imagebam links and i get this "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image".

Marcel,

Were you posting links, or uploading images to the Gallery The error message you mentioned sounds like something the Gallery software might put out if an image was defective.

tried posting in different time then where was not one member or guest,still slow.

more members have the same deal.

There are several factors that can affect perceived speed of a website. Those include:

• server load of host
  • congestion on host's internet connection
  • congestion on intermediate carrier's lines
  • misconfigured or overloaded router(s) at any point between server and your computer
  • congestion at your ISP
  • speed of your computer and ability of your browser to decipher complex web pages

Any of the above or a combination of factors could be the cause. As you are in Sweden, it could be one or more undersized undersea cables. I would suggest doing a connection test (forgotten the command(s) at the moment). That will show the ping times for each segment of the connection. That will frequently show any segments of the route that are considerably slower than others.

I will post again when I locate the test commands I talked about.

Yes, the problem could be our server, but as few others are noticing any problem unless there are a large number of users active, I think the problem is somewhere along the route used between your computer and the data center of the host.

worked now,but took it's time and made a double post.I only pressed submit once.

I for the most time have very low pings all over the world.Im sitting on a 100Mb Fibre connection.

Yes, but that 100MB connection is only between your computer and your ISP. When your traffic is combined with that of a thousands of others on intermediate legs, congestion can occur.

Then we need a host both in us and europe.

Possibly. However just upgrading lines and especially routers (which carriers hate to do) would go a long way toward eliminating choke points and apparent slowness. One incorrectly configured router can affect an entire country.

Also remember that no two packets of data are guaranteed to travel the same route from server to client or from client to server. Neither are any two packets guaranteed to arrive at their destination (server > client or client > server) in the order they were sent.

The receiver must wait for all the data packets to arrive before it can reassemble them into the necessary files/information needed to display a web page. Thus, if one packet gets hung up at a choke point, the receiver will have to wait for it to arrive or, if it times out, may have to wait for the whole file to be resent.

This can happen for any one of the thousands of data packets used to transmit a web page and it can happen at any one of dozens (hundreds) of points along the way.

Even if our website's server is working perfectly and your computer is working perfectly, it can still take a web page a long time to load or it can even time out, through no fault of our own or yours.

This newfangled internet stuff can be a real pain in the ass, sometimes.