would love to know the answer here

White Fox

Obviously someone is taking a story and spinning it way, way, way out of proportions here. I would love to know if it is the paper, or someone else misinterpreting something or what. It is so painfully obvious that this never happened. Anyhow, I would love to know the real truth.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1239438--u-s-tourist-s-pro-gun-letter-sparks-social-media-storm

I hope it is a hoax! After all the different shootings that have occured here in the U.S., we don't need an international incident! Frankly there are many times I think I'd rather live "north of the border". But here I am. At any rate, I AM a gun owner (bird hunting mainly). But it truly frightens me that wackos get guns and "let loose". Very tragic, very sad.

From the article the situation certainly did not appear "life threatening" but none of us were there. It is obvious that the tourist was able to avert any problems. There was no attack or aggression other than a question. Why have a gun? If a gun was involved we might have had the Florida incident all over again, but with the added complication of "American tourist shoots citizen(s)... I'm glad the tourist didn't have a gun. But more so, I hope that this IS a hoax.

My $0.02.

JA

Hi,

After reading the story, i can understand why the man from Michian wanted to have a gun on him. The people asking the question seemed nasty and if they had answered the question, it may have been the wrong answer. You can never tell in these situations. I know because a friend of mine is a law enforment person and he always had a gun on him whenever he leves his house.

furup

p.s. I do NOT own a gun.

As an Aussie, and one who was nowhere hear the 'incident', having read both stories online I believe that had the incident occurred and he did have a gun, it would definitely be a different ending.

There are no descriptions of the 'assailants' other than they were young, nor any clarification as to the tone used by them. There is also the thought that the gentleman concerned is used to being seen in public in his uniform, hence informing all that he has power and authority, and a bloody big noisy deadly piece of bang bang on his hip(s?).

If it is true, the cop overreacted, and thank heavens he didn't have his off duty gun with him. If it is a piece of Canadian satire..... oooeeeeeeeer *grin*

They claim it isn't Canadian press. But who knows...

The one thing is that you can't go to that city without being asked at least 5 times in a week if you have been to the Stampede yet. It is just that it is so big. Even Easterners I know would do that after probably a year out there for some reason. I think it is because it is a totally Western thing, and so everyone is proud of it. East just does not fit in with it.

If indeed this cop WAS going to the stampede, and had not been there yet, he was in for one Hell of a big surprise when he got there I will tell you that much. ha ha.

But as I said. Something rings untrue here. No one is going to think they are in danger because a couple of young guys approach to ask a friendly question. There is more to it somehow. It has become a big thing up here with sarcastic jokes about it even around here, thousands of miles away. Like ... "Gentlemen. I've no interest in talking to you, so back off twenty paces so I can shoot the top off of that tube of tooth paste you are carrying!" One thing I find of interest is we have never heard from "Gentlemen's" wife.

*oooooooooooooooooooeeeeeeeerrr this is gunna get me in so much trouble, but hey, been there, do that LMAO*

Well, it could have been a slow news day and some cub reporter was asked to fill a vacant 'letter to the editor' spot and so reverted to "the ugly american abroad" stereotype. (And yes, there are Ugly Australians abroad, as there are every other nationality... even Japanese).

The thing I have learnt is that old saying: "When in Rome, do what the Romans do."

It is amazing just how easier travel can be if you leave preconceptions alone. Oh, and your hand guns LOL

WF: Good point. We never heard any comment from teh wife.

Mr. B: Don't worry about the "ugly American" comment. My take is that it is true, but as you said there are ugly "fill in the blank" everywhere.

I was at a conference one time when an Australian speaker said that coming to the states "we get a little punchy, so we make up games". Well the game that stuck was how many fat American they could count once they landed in the U.S. He said when they first started, it took a while, but went on to say they don't even make it out of the airport. The mostly American audience laughed...nervously (myself included). He quickly followed up with "Australia is catching up." I suppose I am rambling, but was just underscoring the "ugly fill-in-the-blank" comment.

Yes you are exactly right. Every culture has their questionable side. You only have to look at the last hundred years of ANY culture and you find that out VERY, very fast! We all have our "bad uncles".