'Warmer than average' U.S. winter predicted

JGalanos

I'll believe it when I see it. MN has been getting warmer and the winters are absolutely nothing like they used to be but things 'always' have had a way of letting us know where we live here in the winter.

Joe, it is 29 here today and going to 30 tomorrow. I don't know what that is on the Farenheit scale, but I do know that it is damned hot. Around 91 or 92 I think.

W

For awhile after you convert, you kind of work back and forth, but you very soon lose that in many of the areas that metric affects. It really is wonderful. I can't understand why US has not switched. The reason we switched is that it was just costing many of the companies so much money to use the old system. They were thus having trouble to compete with the Europeans that way. Now that we have switched the factories are much more competitive.

And for instance. In degrees C.

0 is freezing. minus ten is quite cold and minus twenty is getting damned cold. Minus 40 is the same on both scales.

Plus 10 is nice weather with a jacket on. 20 is short sleeves weather and just about ready for shorts or many people might be wearing them. 30 is getting quite hot. 35 is getting close to being unbearable if there is a lot of humidity as there is where I live.

In most cases even the old guys now love the new system. It just makes so much more sense.

W

AK, that's another reason I made the comment...but...

Is it just supposed to be a warm year in general, or is this indicative of...[...] ??

MN *is* getting warmer. That's why Duluth is so nice. You never can tell what the Lake is going to do. It might be 80 degrees on the hill, and 40 next to the like. Or vice versa.

Well, thank god the temp here has dropped a bit - hopefully it will induce more furs to appear - but knowing my luck, that ain't gonna happen

Is it just supposed to be a warm year in general, or is this indicative of...[...] ??
It is indicative of the general global warming trend. In the far northern latitudes global warming is extremely evident and already causing major problems for people and animals.

I concur that the metric/English unit of measure conversion can be confusing ... But I also cannot believe the US has not converted yet (virtually everyone else has!). Some of the conversions are fairly easy (1 liter = roughly 1 quart/1 kilometer = roughly .6 mile/etc.) ... Others aren't (100 ML = what?/50 MM is how long?) ... But with a planned rollover and some practical experience along the way I would think it would go fairly smoothly. I had the misfortune of renting a late model car with English only speedometer (who knew they still made those!) on the south side of the border last spring and drove to Toronto and managed to convert distance accurately enough to avoid getting a ticket.

I just got back from my HS reunion in Virginia and it was 88F (31C). The humidity

That's after leaving was a killer on top of it(15C) and 45F (7C)

OFF