Bloody Hell, it's just not Beer.

Mr Barguzin

Gawd luv a duck.

Firstly the Poms take exception to the word "bloody" in the latest Aussie O/S ad campaign, and now the Cannucks are getting skittish cause we invite folks round to have a "beer"...

Why?? Cause we don't say "come and have a crownie/fosters/VB (insert your favourite beer brand here).

Ummm the first time I heard the word "Bloody" was on an English sit-com.... anyone else remember "Til death Do US Part"? And as for not naming a brand... fur crying out loud.

UK, Canada officialdom... get a life!!!

I've got a stupid question.

Why is the word "bloody" supposed to be a bad word?

In the before-time I was told that it refers to the blood of Christ.

As for beer... I use an analogy.

If you're playing poker, you might enforce the "Jacks or Better" rule.

For beer, Guinness is my "Jacks or Better". If you don't have something at least as good as Guinness I won't drink.

Thus, if you say, "Beer", I'm probably thinking "Guinness" already. You don't have to spell it out.

That would be redundantly repetitive.

Hey, Worker - We have a beer, made right in ol' Pennsyltucky that is an awesome beer! Ever try Yuengling Beer? It's dark. A great lager beer!

Yep! I'll drink Yuengling when I can get it!. I prefer the Porter. Not too many places have it, though. You have to look for it.

Back in the before-time, there used to be a hometown favorite: Koehler.

They are long gone! In fact, they just demolished the building the brewery used to own. They're going to build an office building there.

But, not to fear! There is a new hometown brew: Erie Brewing!

Try the "Rail Bender"! It's got nice kick to it!

The main reason I don't drink cheap beer is that it tases like Alka Seltzer to me! The second is because I don't want to drink too much!

Life's too short to waste it drinking cheap beer!

Though I don't drink all too much, and when I do it's not much, I am going to chime in here.

Worker: Guiness is icky, Fox and I actually had a discussion about that this weekend. We both find it nasty.

FrBrGr: I am laughing. "Pennsyltucky" does make a good beer with Yuengling. I can handle it, though it tends to give me an instant headache just like everything else in PA!

I am pulling for the Candians on this one by saying, in my opinion, that Labatt Blue is the best. I am a finicky girl, and if I am going to drink, there is a reason for it, and I don't want that reason spoiled with a raunchy drink.

Though I don't drink all too much, and when I do it's not much, I am going to chime in here.

Worker: Guiness is icky, Fox and I actually had a discussion about that this weekend. We both find it nasty.

FrBrGr: I am laughing. "Pennsyltucky" does make a good beer with Yuengling. I can handle it, though it tends to give me an instant headache just like everything else in PA!

I am pulling for the Candians on this one by saying, in my opinion, that Labatt Blue is the best. I am a finicky girl, and if I am going to drink, there is a reason for it, and I don't want that reason spoiled with a raunchy drink.

LABATT's OVER GUINESSSSSSSSS

Are you qualified to make that Assertion???????

PS Mr B Sorry about the Poms lack of sense of humour over the word B****y

Well, you're all bloody wrong.

The best beer on the planet is Hahn Light *hic*.... not too dry, not too sweet, and goes down a treat.

Also doesn't come back *grin* Which is something I definitely CANNOT say about Guiness.

(Although they do/did have some great ads, particularly down under *grin*)

LABATT's OVER GUINESSSSSSSSS

Are you qualified to make that Assertion???????

Not a professional beer taster, but I did say (in bold letters) "In My Opinion".

Beer is a medium brown colour and it is not fizzy it is flat.

I have drank several times my weight in beer (probably a few thousand times) and the best ever commercially brewed beer has got to be DRAUGHT BASS by a mile.

Okay calm down, but what you drink in the USA and Australia is lager!!!

PS i hope you won't come around my house and threaten to hit me

There is an important thing to know about Guinness, or any other Porter/Stout beer for that matter.

It is vitally important that the beer be poured correctly!

You may not like Guinness or similar beers. That's your preference. But, I propose that, if you don't like it, you have never had one that's been poured right.

A lot of the byproducts of fermentation remain in the beer when it's kegged. When you pour a Guinness (et. al.), if you don't "double pour" the pint, all those chemicals remain in the beer. Double pouring allows those nasty-tasting chemicals to evaporate before you drink.

It's a lot like the way you have to let some kinds or red wine "breathe" before you drink them.

Most American beertenders don't double pour. They think people want their beer fast. Most American Phillistines don't even know the difference. If you tried to pour a Guinness like that in Dublin they would throw the beer back in your face!

My wife used to think I was crazy when I said that but, one time I ordered a Guinness at a restaurant and it wasn't double poured. I made a face when I tasted it. I let her taste it. She thought it was "icky". Then I sent the beer back and instructed the beer maid how to pour it correctly. When my wife tasted the second pint she agreed with me: Guinness tastes gross if it's not poured right!

The next time you have a chance to try a Guinness, make sure you tell your beertender to pour it correctly.

I live in Pennsyltucky and even *I* know that!

Super informative beer post "Worker". Like i said though, It is very very sledom that I drink alcohol of any sort to begin with. When I do, I try to get some sort of mixed drink if it is at all possible. If it's not, there are a couple of brands of beer I can tolerate, but typicaly at that point I will just skip drinking any alcohol.

Beer is a medium brown colour and it is not fizzy it is flat.

At last, a moment of clarity...

I have drank several times my weight in beer (probably a few thousand times) and the best ever commercially brewed beer has got to be DRAUGHT BASS by a mile.

...followed by a moment of madness. Draught Bass? Cor blimey guv'nor...

My tip to anyone visiting England's green and pleasant land: only drink the local beer. And don't ask if it's supposed to be warm. I once witnessed an Australian make that mistake, and the landlord heated it in the microwave for him.

And for Worker, here's how I was taught to pour Guiness by a passing Irishman... (not sure how qualified he was, but he sure drank a lot of the stuff)

1) Hold the glass at a 45 degree angle

2) Pull the tap forward, and fill up to 3/4 full

3) Leave to stand for 4 minutes

4) Hold the glass so that the nozzle of the tap is under the surface of the drink and then fill pushing the tap backwards

5) If you want to impress the ladies, finish by drawing a shamrock on the top

Step 4 is the key - keeping the nozzle under the surface stops the drink from becoming unsettled again, and pushing the tap backwards restricts the flow.

...not sure how qualified he was, but he sure drank a lot of the stuff...

Qualified!...

Guinness and other porters/stouts are poured from a special nitrogen charged tap system. Nitrogen, being a (mostly) inert gas, doesn't chemically react with the beer the way CO2 or air does.

The forward/backward pull of the tap opens the valve differently and allows the beer to flow at different rates. I don't know all the specifics, really. I just know that beer tastes better when it's done right.

Honestly, I don't drink a whole lot. Maybe only one or two beers per month. I specifically limit myself.

I just don't want to waste my limited beer drinking time swilling panther piss.

Bob23;

Oh i have drank loads of locally brewed beers but i still come back to Bass. The thing is that Bass is widely available so i have developed a taste for it. For instance i really like the St Austell brewery beer (which i once got exceedingly drunk on in a pub called the Bucket Of Blood) but you cannot buy it where i live.

PS Do not insult Bass, to me it has been like a mother, a girlfriend and best mate all rolled into one!

My local Brew Pub makes a very good Bass Ale and Guiness Stout equivallents.

Get a real good buzz and don't have to walk far to home.

Right here in the upper lefthand corner.

OFF

IMO the best beer in the world is from Dogfishhead Brewery in Rehobath Beach and Lewes, De. The owner, Sam C brews some of the most unique beers around... you want a stout, try Worldwide... it usually comes in at 22 - 24% ABC (alcohol by content). They make the best IPAs (well, certainly the hoppiest) around - look for their 60, 90, and 120 minute versions. As the name implies hops are added every minute for whatever time period.

My other favorites are Avery from Colorado and Stone from California. All push the limits of what one can do with water, grain, yeast and hops!

FLinFL

I used to live only a few blocks from the Cambridge Brewing Co.

The brewmaster, there, used to be called "Yeastmaster".

Once in a while he would get a wild hare up his a** and use recultured champaigne yeast to make beer. He once made this batch of "Mach Bock" (Mach-- as in the speed of sound.) that would literally knock you out! He wouldn't tell you what the alcohol content was but, two of them would put you under the table! Appearently, he would let the beer ferment until the alcohol content killed all the yeast.

He would only sell it in pints. No pitchers or yards. He didn't even put it up on the board. You had to ask for it, by name. The beer was good but it was more of a novelty than a serious brew. He did it "Just because..."

As Foxy mentioned, I don't drink much at all, but I'll say this: I've never had a good tasting beer! It's bitter beer face all the time. Frankly, I don't know how you all stand the stuff!!!

I do not like guiness.

However I acknowledge it is a very high quality beer.

Many lagers/beers are rubbish. Full of chemicals etc. It is not a matter of taste...some are better than others.

Is anyone who has tried US budweiser next to czech budweiser in all seriousness going to tell me the first mentioned is better?

What is it that you don't like?

As I said, Guinness is just for starters in my book.

I really enjoy bitters and pale ales. Pilsners and lagers are okay but not at the top of my list.

You realize how porters/stouts got their start. No?

I believe it was a Guinness brewery that the grainary caught fire and a lot of the barley got burned up. They tried to salvage what they could but the beer came out dark. Some people liked it and, to make a long story short, a new product was born! From then on, they toasted the malt before they put it into the wort to make the beer.

So, essentially, some people might not like Guinness and other porters/stouts because they say they taste "burnt".

Technically, they are right!

No, I really just don't like American Budweiser. It's like Alka-Seltzer!

(On your side of the Pond, what do you call those fizzy, medicated tablets you dissolve in water and drink when you have a headache and an upset stomach?)

I have had Pilsner Urquell which is the Czec beer that Budweiser and it's analogues were supposed to be modeled after. It is good but I prefer the darker beers.

The ONLY time I'll drink commercial US beer is when it's not possible to drink anything else. For instance, there's a redneck bar near my house where "Real Men" drink Budweiser. If you are a stranger, if you walk in there and order something else, you'll probably get your a** kicked!

If you're a stranger in a place like that, order "Bud".

It's a good thing that I don't go to places like that very often!

Edited by Guest

Actually my favorite Stout is an Aussie product we get here for rather cheap.

Can't remember the name off hand but it's brown lettering on a pale yellow oval lable.

Locally the Harmon Brew Pub does it all. Got snockered off bitters last week.

OFF

I can appreciate quality though I may not like it.....just the texture I find personally is not for me.

I prefer cheap instant coffee to real stuff but I know the latter is better.

I didnt know that about guiness though...thanks.