Are you a dog person or a cat person?

Guest touchofsable

Okay I don't know about this but there may be something to it.

I lov both; but would have to come down on the sid of cats. Dogs have some great attributes....loyalty, affection, etc though there are instintive biological reasons for this they are not conceptualised in animals.

But the cat is sometimes seen as aloof arrogant and a little creepy.

But for me I see that as independence, elegance and sleek movement.

What? Elegance is a concept. Can a cat think it is elegant?

Well yes I think it can...not conceptually though.

A dog has no need to be elegant....though notably sight hounds who are NOT so pack animals do. It hunts more like a cta than a dog.

So what is going on? I was inspired to ask bcause whenever I see my cat fall off the chair he or she pretends they meant to do it. That implies a brain activity which they are not supposed to be capable of: consciousness of who they are.

When I was looking for the Twain quote I found this:

"Man is the only animal who blushes or needs to"

Well the cat doesn't blush but it does appear to get embarrassed and pretend it was meaning to do something else when it falls of something; and hopes you didn't notice.

So we just talked about why this happens. Why the cat is obsessed with grooming and walking proud and elegantly. It is because it is a lone animal. To attract a mate it HAS to be cnscious of its appearance all the time...especially when often the cats territory is so large in the wild it rarely sees another cat . It must all the time look its best. Also the predatory skill of the cat rely on perfection in streamlining and creeping up on its prey. Most dogs scent their prey and exhaust them through urelenting stamina. It doesn't need to creep up and be capable of beautiful acrobatics (sight hounds excepted)

The dog on the other hand well only the alpha is going to get a shag anyway so it doesn't matter if its running round with its tongue lollopping out and its ear folded back looking stupid.

This isn't scientific but I thoght it fun. Maybe with some truth.

See I think the PETAphiles have got things way wrong in their tendency to anthropomorphise....it is we who should compare ourselves to animals not vice versa; there may be some thing that tells us who we are as people.

So who is the cat and who is the dog here?

Does the answer tell us anything about ourselves?

Although I have owned dogs in my life, I am definitely a cat person. I especially love Siamese cats! Awesome animals! My favorites (several have owned me . . . ) were Mary and Joseph. The first male in their first litter had to be named, "JC."

Don't show those cats to my dog. He very firmly believes that the only creatures who should live in this world are he, me, and a few other people who come here. And sometimes. He isn't quite sure about me!

W

I'm with Tryxie

Actually I grew up with dogs [literally and figuratively]

The raised Siamese cats later. They are actually dogs disguised as cats.

OFF

I love both!

To me cats are like men.

Very attentive when they are in the mood or want you to do something.

Do not like to be approached. Prefer to pursue.

Usually respond with a practical, "What is in this for me?" 8)

I love both!

To me cats are like men.

Very attentive when they are in the mood or want you to do something.

Do not like to be approached. Prefer to pursue.

Usually respond with a practical, "What is in this for me?" 8)

Correction!!

(Ahem!)

Some men . . .

Some of us are always attentive to the woman we love . . .

Some of us love to be approached - especially by the woman we love.

Some of us always consider our woman's needs before our own.

I wish you could have hooked up with one of us! Ya don't know what you've been missing!

I'm a dog person. Terribly allergic to cats anyhow. Although I have no pets now and haven't for years, I did grow up with many dogs.

FrBrGr, 8)

I thought you might respond!!

Actually, I am very lucky! I married a wonderful man.

Just like to kid you guys! 8)

MissT!!

So nice to see you here! We sure miss you! Hope you will be back soon.

Linda

Unlike the stats scientist I will not forge my results to prove my point cos it is not going my way!

Anyway bigger sample needed please continue and remeber it the anecdotal that proves the staistic qualitively wrong anyway lol!

And some intersting and enlighteneing points expressed so far.

I like both different reasons Tos.

I love the "companionship" you get from dogs, the crazy tricks they get up to, the mutual fun of walking, running exploring together. They're always happy to see you etc. (could do without the rolling in fox poo though!)

But I also like our cats (we dont have dogs now). because of their independence, their self reliance, and especially their chilled out approach to life and the ability to sleep for sooo long! They make you feel it is an honour when they occasionally jump up on your lap to be stroked.

Your points in your first post are interesting Tos, and I reckon are quite valid points re:behaviour differences. Our cats Definately get embarrassed. Cat one day slipped, jumping out of ground floor window, and fell out. she looked around to see who was watching, saw me, her whole facial expression changed, and she immediately started stalking a butterfly. I'm certain she wasnt jumping out the window to stalk a butterfly. but was definately trying to give the impression thta's what she intended to do .

Re: Tryxie

I like either with fries
. Probably a Northern thing Tryx. Cat is actually better with mint boiled potatoes and diced buttered carrots and peas, (and I dont mean mushy peas!)

Absolutely brilliant Ravens! That had me and my girlfrind in stitches. PLEASE peple go to Ravns link it is hysterical and very well observed.

BTW Ravens apparently it is bad etiquette in the New World Order to post two threads in a row. BUT WE ARE ARE SPARTANS AND FREE MEN lol! So post away!

Dogs for me, everytime. I quite like cats, we always had a few farm cats when I was a kid, they usually ignored you but when they felt like it they allowed you to show them affection! We always had Collies, great dogs that need a lot of attention, at one point we had 3, grandfather, mother and pup, they were mainly working dogs and we're definite outdoor dogs. I don't have a dog at the moment and I really miss it. When I visit the folks the dogs go absolutely ballistic when they see me, which is always nice. I'd love to have a springer or a collie- something manic!

It was what Gordon Brown said. Funny enough so did the guy with floppy hair and a moustache.

Anyway back to cats and dogs. Aswell as saying which you prefer, is there anything that you see of yourself in them? I haven't actually an agenda on this BUT I wondered if the cats sleekness and grace ad elegance would be more likely to be admired by someone who loves fur for the same reason' likewise whether a more rough and tumble kind of person would be more dog oriented, Looks so far like no correlation but when I see my girlfriend she is most definitely a cat. She miaows a lot too when she is hungry lol!

Re: your recent question TOS (which could in fact be a seperate topic).

Dont know about the fur. think if I was a cat i would go demented stroking myself!!

Always seen myself as a dog I guess. I can even narrow it down to being a terrier. I've always wanted to be able to do that trick of being able to break a rat's back with a quick dart in and a flick of the head. It's so cool, Keep trying, but the rats are always too quick for me.

Ps OK Ok before anyone says anything!! This is tongue in cheek Ok?That last remark has nothing to do with me being a sadist or anything and wanting to cause animal suffering. I'm definately not, and I dont. It's merely an appreciation and respect for the terriers art of being masters of their skill, and they dont even need to practice.!! First rat they see, it's straight in and the act is performed to perfection. Aint nature wonderfull!!

Cats on the other hand seem to delight in tormenting their victims before eating them. "IT's Ok little mouse you can go now." THUMP!! "heh heh tricked you! oh I'm sorry, off you go again" WHACK!!

God its a sad world where we have to write disclaimers about everything we do and say.

The dog that I have right now is a cross between a Chihuahua and a Husky.

Say what???!!! How could that happen?? That dog belongs in Ripley's!!

Definitely Siamese.

I had a huge male I called Y A Tittle with a head like a basketball.. He barked and scared the s&$t out of all the neighborhood dogs, regardless of size.

20 pounds of solid muscle.

He could take any of them on and win.

He was a great father too.

OFF