For the music lovers in the den...

ThoughtFox

My tastes in music are rather eclectic, but I suppose I favor light jazz most of all. Light jazz and "golden oldies" from the 50's (I wonder why . . . ? ) I've had a love affair with Diana Krall (well, at least her music . . . ) for several years now. What an amazing talent! I love her voice, and she is a very gifted jazz pianist! My favorite albums:

The Look Of Love (My absolute favorite!)

All For You

From This Moment On

Love Scenes

Only Trust Your Heart

Stepping Out

The Girl In The Other Room

When I Look In Your Eyes

She has another album out called, "Live in Paris" that I haven't gotten around to buying yet. It's only a matter of time . . .

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JGalanos

• ThoughtFox

• Worker 11811

• White Fox

Again, I have a eclectic taste that spans a fair few genres, though most I would say comes broadly speaking under rock or electronic music.

I would say the genres I listen to cover

* EBM (kinda a dark industrial, almost gothic techno sub-genre) (So stuff like Haujobb, Lab4, Clan of Xymox)

* some alternative trance / club music (not keen on anything to pop/euro dance like though because it's cheesy same-ish) (Joshua Ryan, James Holden and Way out West are my favs)

* a little hard house (a fairly deep / techy sounding dance music sub genre)

* a little drum & bass (needs to be more on the mellow side, so stuff like High Constrast as that has a jazzy edge to it)

* Trip hop (A type of relaxed form of chillout music, has some break beat / hip hop influences, but sounds quite different) (Massive Attack,

* some alternative hip hop (hate most majorly mainstream, and hate commercial gangster rap with a passion)

* future jazz (It's a form of chillout electronic music which heavily influenced by jazz sounds / structure)

* Brit pop (Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Ocean Colour Scene)

* Classic Rock (The Kinks, The Clash, some U2, The Smiths, etc)

* Post Punk Revival Rock (So Babyshambles, The Strokes, The Futureheads, Maximo Park, etc)

* 'Madchester' rock (Stuff based round the early '90s manchester rock scene that had influences of acid house and similar dance music) (So Primal Scream's early stuff, New Order)

* Various other harder rock (Muse, Deftones, Queens of the Stone Age)

* Old pop (Dexys Midnight Runners, Madness, Billy Idol, David Bowie)

* Oldskool acid house / rave (mainly things like Altern8, SL2)

* Industrial Metal (Rammstien, some Fear Factory remixes, NIN)

* Lots of other random stuff (So Bob Marley, Nouvelle Vague (They do covers of old post punk rock in Brazilian Latino / Nova Bossa style, quite interesting!))

There's lots of other stuff I listen much of which sits between genre boundaries. I'm very keen on my chill out music at the moment, so things like Groove Amarda, Nightmares on Wax, Royksopp, Zero 7, Thievery Corporation, Ulrich Schnauss, Portishead).

I'm pretty open to what I listen to, the only exception really is any overly commercial mainstream pop / gangster rap.

• 2 weeks later...

In reference to the Lord of the Rings, what about Emilina Torrini? She sang the golumn song for the Two Towers soundtrack.

Myself, as a trumpeter I'm a big fan of Jazz. Particularly Woody Shaw, Eddie Henderson and Alex Sipiagin. Also you must check out Steve Khan's new album 'the Green Field'.

Ok so no one knows what I'm on about. So here's some name dropping. You'll just love Chaka Khan's album 'Naughty'. The backing vocals are:

Whitney Houston

Cissy Houston

Luther Vandross

Dionne Warwick

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting stuff here. I enjoy "Passenger" to a certain degree - it's an example of how an effective song can be made using a minimal amount of musical material. It's catchy and fun, but the repetition and lack of development take their toll after a while. I'm not a Dolly Parton fan but I can see why people like her. "I Will Always Love You" works but the melody line is a little forced. Here is an example of a much stronger melody from someone who is, in my view, one of the most exciting talents in pop music:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NqauKbARSvc

ThoughtFox

• 2 weeks later...