Music

s1m17

it seemed you mainly focused on lyrics and upbrining there, instead of talking about the sound. That includes everything you hear within the song, not just the vocals. I'm wondering, do you like the Arctic Monkeys? The band members weren't brought up in a 'bourgeoise' life style.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• s1m17

• Unclejoe420

• Fox

• Foxy Lady

still whingey

yeah sorry...I wanted to try to put out a few hooks there so you can imagine the sound.....upbeat, exciting, positive, crashing. Not so much the lyrics, just the sound that they are put on.

Or I like haunting:

Bauhaus, Siouxsie, The Primitives

Or creative like the Poppies

whinging brings me down. Arctic monkeys were hardly brought up in squalor either. Neither was I compared to the backstreets of calcutta where some of my friends are from (and they dont whinge either).

Oh PS sorry I thought you were being very reasonable...I see you are from Gibralter and theres me thinking...whats wrong here...why isnt the yank taking the bait!!!!!!

I'M JOKING OKAY!!!!

Incidentally; and seriously,the classical stuff aside, this is an in argument basically between a narrow band of mucical taste.....doesnt anyone like country and western or blues or Rhythm and Blues or anything? I must say its surprised me that no one has mentioned Billy Joel or Chris Rea. None of us so far are MOR...unless, my theory is correct and REM are the new MOR.

Also nobody has said whether they play something.

Wasn't either Mozart or Beethoven deaf? am pretty sure it was either one of those two...

Beethoven. He felt his compositions in his late years, as I've been told.

I'll mention some other artists I like. Maybe they're more to your taste ToS?

Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, Bright Eyes, My Morning Jacket, Wilco, Beck, The Doors.

Do you like any music from the 60s? Like Love, The Beatles, The Velvet Underground, The Band etc etc

still whingey

Or I like haunting:

Bauhaus, Siouxsie, The Primitives

2/3 OH YES!!!! Lagartija Nick a personnel fav

BUT The Primitives!!!!! Now I think you're being "Really Stupid"

C'mon fellah how manufactured were they!!!

You'll be singing the praise of Tranvision Vamp next!!! I think we have found a chink in the armour here

I'll raise you the "Godfathers"

Wow...a music thread.

Although my tastes have been described as being "brain dead tone deaf gutter music" by a few of my friends, I have really eclectic tastes to say the least.

Most anything that *could* pass for music is fine by me, although I am currently at this very second listening to Shonen Knife's Strawberry Creme Puff song right now.

Wow...a music thread.

Although my tastes have been described as being "brain dead tone deaf gutter music" by a few of my friends, I have really eclectic tastes to say the least.

Most anything that *could* pass for music is fine by me, although I am currently at this very second listening to Shonen Knife's Strawberry Creme Puff song right now.

Don't suppose i can nab a copy of that tune Tigress? Do you have any 5678's at all?

As for blues, ToS, does BB King, John Lee Hooker and the Jeff Healey Band count?

Unclejoe

yes folks...now we are talking music....not my personal taste, but much is objectively defensible as "good" and even "great".

Some great stuff there OFF

What I dont like is when someone gives a band and doesnt attempt to defend their choice if challenged...I listened to Boulevard of Broken Dreams today to give it another chance. I tolerated it and tried to find smoething good to say about it and then suddenly The Kaiser Cheifs burst on. Again I rest my case.

The Primitives secret (no one touches me) is in their conceptual name and "Shadows" and "through the flowers" are (like strawberry switchblade or the darling buds or indeed Shonen knife) sweet sweet honey laced with poison....with a simple, strong and direct carriage. Its corruption and subversion of the pop medium; just like a Lambretta was used and adapted to usurp the very nature of its being. Look beyond the obvious.

Its Green Day and REM and U2 who are manufactured.

Anybody remember the Fuzztones by the way?

60's thoughts.The Beatles were crap too next to the Kinks, The Who and The Action.

Sixties girl bands a la Phil Spectre were manufactured but still brilliant because they werent pretentious.

U2 are to The pogues

as Green day to Johnny Cash

The latter two are rooted in musical and cultural identity and are honest; the former two lowest common denominator globalised marketing.

Theres more real angst in Dolly Parton than either of them.

IS NO ONE GOING TO MENTION ELVIS???????

Or how about a bit of valleys soul from Tom Jones.

I once saw The Police booed off stage supporting The Cramps by the way.

The Police were manufactured too.

Anybody remember the Fuzztones by the way?

Now you're scaring me!!!

Supported The Cramps on UK tour back in the Mid 80's!! Loved 'em so much went out & bought Lysergic Emanations

Walkin down the street

on a 4 way tab

I saw a young girl

Standin under glass

her heart was black

her face was masked

a five dollar bill

that was all she asked

I don't think REM sound manufactured at all. They created their sound and it hasn't really changed much. I don't understand what is meant by 'whingey', how does the music sound like someone whinging? They're not really complaining.

Nirvana - On A Plain

I'm on a plain,

I can't complain.

See? :P

you now, just generally miserable which isnt a good vibe. It sells to Kevin the teenager mentality so record companies push it.

I hust think while REM have undoubted ability, as you have pointed out, that makes it worse that they are so commercial. And boring. But that is subjective....just me I am afraid.

But Green Day are derivative and hugely over rated; and they are the safe face of protest music.

Perhaps i had best explain why i like the music that i like. Granted, some of the bands have now gone that whole poppy / teen angst route, i listen to them because of they way their music makes me feel. If i want to be cheered up i listen to "Basket Case" by Green Day (not everyone's cup of tea) or "So What" by Metallica (swear-words ahoy). For chill-out music, i go with Ryuichi Sakamoto's "Movement #1: Grief".

We all like different music for different reasons, and I am not here to pass judgment on anyone or their choices. Just hope no-one takes offence at anything i say, or any of the musical choices i've made.

Unclejoe

The starting point to me is the placement of notes... is it tuneful? Harmonic?... hummable *grin* Then and only then do I listen to the lyrics, so if the music jars in one way or t'other, it can be the greatest set of lyrics that have ever been put down on manuscript, but I don't care.

Of all the bands mentioned so far, maybe 5% ring bells with me... oh and I don't mean in my ears on a constant manner either. I May have heard one of their 'hits' but found it displeasing.

Of course, there is one artist, whose name I forget, who wrote the Ultimate 5 minute plus piece. It is a piece that will live forever in my mind and fills all my requirements. It was released on Vinyl (check that out in your 'punk and wagnall's', folks) and so has bits of hiss etc intermingled with the flowing music and words.

It is five minutes plus of SILENCE!!!

Come in Joe...I can see through that.....

what I am saying...and maybe I am wrong....is that there should be a criteria for assessing whats good bad or mediocre in music.

Usually I find people who listen to Green Day havent been exposed to other music in that ilk because they dominate the airwaves of the entire planet, and that actually its very MOR. I am not knocking people eprsonally for listening to it...but that should affect my assessment of it.

I am happy for people to criticise my taste because I believe I can defend it from an objective viewpoint of what constitutes good.

Music by the likes of the Kaiser Chiefs, Scooter, etc dont get very much US airplay because its viewed as idiosyncratically European...whereas Green Day are watered down to appeal to the world. Thats all.

Global appeal usually means lowest common denominator rather than cultural significance.

If you like it thats not a problem...but thats why I dont.

My girlf has been flicking through the MTV cahnnels as we speak and Green Day have been on four times while I have been writing this. Its American imperialism.

But Green Day are derivative and hugely over rated; and they are the safe face of protest music.

TouchofSable, i will in part agree with you on this - Green Day as of late have gone the whole political protest / teen angst route with their music. If you go back through their albums from about Dookie or Insomniac, all the way back to 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, they seem to be a bit more upbeat and cheerful. If you would like to hear any of their older stuff, i will be more than willing to send you a couple of their tracks. They do an ok-ish cover version of "My Generation".

Unclejoe

Oy there ToS, Kaiser Chiefs have been on MTV and the like quite frequently, not to mention the radio as well. They are a very popular band in Britain, not so sure about the US though. If you prefer upbeat, more cheerful music I bet you utterly despise Joy Divison, Interpol, Editors.

To talk about some other aspect of music, does anyone here like electronic music? Like Air, Royksopp, Lemon Jelly, The Avalanches, DJ Shadow, Zero 7, Mylo, Vitalic, Brian Eno, Boards of Canada, Massive Attack.

To talk about some other aspect of music, does anyone here like electronic music? Like Air, Royksopp, Lemon Jelly, The Avalanches, DJ Shadow, Zero 7, Mylo, Vitalic, Brian Eno, Boards of Canada, Massive Attack.

Hi S1m17. What about Fischerspooner? They ok? (ok, i've only heard the tune "Emerge")

Unclejoe

Alright, let's try this again. Such as one person may like to wear a suit and tie with their hair all nicely done and I like to wear t-shirt and jeans and put a hat on, people will have different tastes in music and that's totally acceptable.

And just because this person doesn't like what you don't like, or more correctly, doesn't like what you think is "good" music, that doesn't necessarily mean it's "bad" music or that you have to give 'em H-E double hockey sticks for it.

Music, like any other form of art, is a way to note the changes of a particular culture or society. ToS, you say that Green Day and U2 are not culture, but culture (on a larger scale) is defined by the masses. So what is enjoyed/practiced by the masses is what will become "culture" for that point in time.

To prove my point a little more, let's turn to one of my favorite and heavily used sites: www.dictionary.com. (italics added for emphasis)

culture

1.The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought.

2. The predominating attitudes and behavior that characterize the functioning of a group or organization.

And from another site that I use fairly often, www.wikipedia.com, comes these commentaries on culture:

"The word culture, from the Latin colo, -ere, with its root meaning "to cultivate", generally refers to patterns of human activity and the symbolic structures that give such activity significance."

"Anthropologists most commonly use the term "culture" to refer to the universal human capacity to classify, codify and communicate their experiences symbolically. "

So if U2 and Green Day reached that many people and became "culture" for that time, they must have done something right.

As for S Club 7 being in the same league as Beethoven or Mozart, even though I wouldn't agree with them, some people would say yes. But then again, comparing S Club 7 to Mozart is like comparing apples to trucks, there's no likenesses whatsoever. So I don't know if that's really a valid argument.

If you like good tuneful music, buy something by Napalm Death, turn it down to deafening and give your eardrums an airing.

To make it an even more memorable experience down a few shots of Absinthe at the same time and give your brain the day off.

Some good advice for an evening with the whole family allfurme.

Nice one fox, but I think ToS is still going to disagree haha.

If you like good tuneful music, buy something by Napalm Death, turn it down to deafening and give your eardrums an airing.

To make it an even more memorable experience down a few shots of Absinthe at the same time and give your brain the day off.

Don't know whether i ought to mention this, but on my bro's Napalm Death album (joke Xmas pressie) the had a pic of the bass-player, who looked remarkably like Robbie Coltrane!!

Just thought I ought to share that with you folks!!

I find that some music magazines and sites offer good reviews which I can usually trust. A music critic is experienced and (hopefully) knows what music is good and band, I usually check reviews and then if generally positive I check out the bands tracks using the iTunes music store. A lot of the time the reviews I read are spot on.