furs in "the devil wears prada"

furcoatman

this promises to be a movie with enough furs to make it worth seeing.

from the new york times

Mr. Rubenstein objected as strenuously to the filmmakers' tendency to pile on the goods. "For the most part women in fashion fiercely edit what they wear," he said. In contrast, the movie offers much too much in the way of furs and gold bangles, he said, reflecting "a weird desire for abundance for the sake of abundance."

here is the whole article

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/29/fashion/thursdaystyles/29PRADA.html

let's keep our fingers crossed!

Film critics often forget films are fantasy unless it is specifically a documentary. They often become fantasies as well.

OFF

I hear the central charcter is based on Anna Wintour. When I heard this I thought...wonder if there is going to be fur!!!

Another excerpt from the article:

The first hint that "Devil" may go over the top arrives in the form of a wardrobe montage in which Miranda stalks into the office on a series of mornings, flinging onto her assistant's desk enough status bags and lavish furs to clean out the Bronx Zoo. They are just the beginning of a brazen outpouring of $12,000 handbags, $30,000 furs and $1,000 over-the-knee boots assembled by Ms. Field with a budget of $100,000 and a little help from designers and friends who, she said, provided access to about $1 million worth of clothes.

Folks, I saw the previews dozens of times for this movie, including a spot early this morning on CNN...yes there ARE furs in this movie, many of them plopped on the desk of Anne Hathaway's character by Streep's titular Devil. I noticed one big dyed-red fox number, a snug mink jacket worn by Streep, and other sheared, dyed and couture-type fur pieces in the few scenes that were broadcast. However...I'm not sure this is going to be a memorable fur movie...I have yet to see the whole thing. Of course, a little speculation is great. The previews definitely surprised me; however, any filmic characature of 'Ms. Nuclear Wintour' would probably be destined to include some references to her real-life persona...

J.

And they used the Radio Shack logo, sorta.

I love to go into Radio Shack wearing a fur coat (usually mink). The young gentlemen geeks get devastated and their antennas get overloaded.

Patience

Patience...

I am not sure if any of us gave you a word of welcome yet. It is always so great to have new members here yet sometimes we miss when new members come on.

Welcome to the Den! Indeed, we hope that you have a great time here and enjoy this place to it's fullest.

Welcome Home!

White Fox

Hi Patience! Let me add my welcome to the Den!

I love the idea of you wearing your mink into a radio shack! It's a great lesson for us all - furs aren't just for 'evening wear'! I think the best way to raise 'pro-fur awareness' is to simply wear your furs during all those mundane day to day errands - like grocery shopping, running to the cleaners, etc. Let's show folks that you don't need a special occasion to wear your furs!

FLinFL

Greetings, Patience. I hope you live up to your name in some of our heated discussions Glad to have you on board.

Furry hugs,

--Emeister

So has anyone seen this movie yet?

Forget the movie! Don't try to put this thread back on topic, Fox. We were in the middle of welcoming me to the Den. Let us continue with that as I am enjoying the attention. Thank you all for your kind words.

Patience

Haven't seen the movie yet no. Looking forward to it; however not as much as I am looking forward to having a bold new lady in the group!!!

WELCOME Patience; tell us more radioshack stories please, and a little more about yourself!!!

Just got back from seeing the movie. Fur doesn't really make a starring role in really any movie these days... ...but the producers of Devil really snuck the furs in there. The first time we see the icy Miranda Priestly (Meryl Streep), she's in black mink. There's a short tableau towards the beginning of Meryl Streep flopping her coat down on Anne Hathaway's desk every morning, and I noticed about 10 or 15 furs in there...including a very fluffy red-dyed fox coat. Later on in the picture, when everyone's in Paris, Meryl Streep wears a very nice chinchilla wrap/jacket around her shoulders for a good ten minutes. Anne Hathaway wears a nice fox scarf around her neck as well (if only for a few minutes), and fur does pop up in the background throughout. It's a cute movie; having grown up with a Mom who worked in fashion, I found this satire absolutely hilarious. I wish there had been more furs, though...