Does anyone know the official name or designation of this type of hat design?

Panther10

I’ve seen these hats at fashion shows and in glamor magazine spreads for decades now but for some reason these supersized large brimmed hats are never available off the rack at any fur boutique. Most places that I’ve talked to can’t even construct  them special without some degree of difficulty. Most of the designs that are offered at boutiques usually are half the size of these monsters: 40”-45” brim circumference with a height of 9” or so at the crown. The runway models on the other hand are usually have a brim that has an 80” circumference and is usually around a foot tall just at the brim. Like I said it’s just absolutely insane. I’d love a couple of hats like this but I was curious if anyone had any info about them. How and why are these so elusive? Does anyone know who typically makes them for fashion shows? What’s the actual name of the hat?

381AD2BB-42C1-4326-8002-FA847F4CF7BC.jpeg

2BD7BDFB-57E6-40C6-9A10-240F3BE9D7B6.jpeg

70CBFC88-D6F3-44F6-B452-38061432CF92.jpeg

• Like 2

Fucking Hell Cardi B is a fucking goddess in her fur 😉 

mmmmm id fucking do anyting for her like that lol

4 hours ago, tomfur28 said:

Fucking Hell Cardi B is a fucking goddess in her fur 😉 

mmmmm id fucking do anyting for her like that lol

I think the hat and Cardi’s face  in the image might be a morph honestly, but it wouldn’t surprise me if she genuinely owned a hat like that. In fact it’s that particular hat I’m trying to have my furrier commission because I own a full length white fox coat and I need a matching hat, and the wide brimmed look has always been my favorite style. I just want this Haute Couture version as soon as I can find out some information about it like the official name, specs on its construction, etc.

the only thing my furrier was able to tell me that from the 80’s to the early 2000’s, these hats were mostly constructed by the larger fashion houses like Dennis Basso, Fendi, Chanel and Gucci, then they quietly disappeared up until around 2016 but smaller shops still don’t have access to units that can be sold off the rack. If smaller boutiques want to sell them, they have to reverse engineer them for customers who want them via special order.

so that’s where I am right now

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FullLengthFox said:

I also absolutely love this and I have been looking for those for some time too. The only ones I could find were from Madison Avenue Malls

spacer.png

But I suppose you could also have them custom made by the Arctic Store or Sobolini

the hats from Madison Ave Mall are some of the smaller, aforementioned retail versions I mentioned previously. Those hats have a brim that has around a 40-45” circumference.  

In regards to commissioning another company for this job, as I said I’m in talks with my furrier now for this work, but unfortunately I previously tried commissioning these hats through Arctic store in 2018 and 2019, thinking that they might be able to successfully make these hats because I purchased some oversized Cossack style fox fur hats from them that they sold via special order back in early 2018 but the work stalled on these new hats. First there were delays because of design issues, then the pandemic happened and they had to close shop for awhile, and now thanks to this war between Russia and Ukraine, I can no longer receive my hats due to the sanctions that are put in place on Russian businesses.  Even if the shop could send them out, they would be immediately frozen by US or international customs. I’m currently trying to obtain a refund for those orders since those hats were $1200 each but the process seems all but impossible at the moment. So lesson learned. I’m now strictly dealing with my local furrier that is within a mile of my home for jobs like this. 

Edited by Panther10