Credit cards for furs

paul2809

33 minutes ago, paul2809 said:

I'd like to know if it's worth it of getting a credit card to purchase furs & accessories?

Only If you want to pay outrageous amounts of interest!  Better to save up. There’s ALWAYS another fur! 

Edited by dongleboy

That's not strictly true. If you shop around for a credit card you can find some will offer very competitive interest rates. My card is 4% APR.

The advantage with a card is you don't need to come up with cash up front, and you can repay it at your convenience. You only get huge interest payments if you dawdle paying it back, but if you settle up in 2 or 3 months the extra is marginal. Where the credit cad wins out is convenience and you don't need to be laden down with cash when you go shopping.

As someone who's considering switching careers to be a professional financial advisor, let me chime in here. ONLY do this if you can pay the card off in FULL at the end of the month so as not to accrue any interest, and instead get points/rewards on your credit cards. The interest on a credit card can be changed at any moment.

• Like 2

My opinion: If you can't afford it now, you can't afford it with interest in addition. If you can afford to pay it down over months with interest, then save up in over those months instead, and buy it when you have the money. If you are unable to save the amount you need over time, then I think that goes to show accumulating credit card debt is a poor financial choice.. Sorry if that comes across as blunt.

• Like 3

The premise here is that one is going to shop at a bricks and mortar outlet and pay furrier prices, which is maybe a possibility if you live within a reasonable distance from the furrier. But cash, no matter how long you've been saving it up, will not do you any good if you wish to buy online. You will need a credit or debit card, just remember to use them responsibly.

• Like 1