Beer Prevents Prostate Cancer!

Worker 11811

>>> Link to Article @ msnbc.msn.com

Yes! It has been scientifically proven! An ingredient in beer keeps away cancer!

We already know that lycopene found in tomatos keeps cancer away.

So, according to the article, beer and pizza are now health food!!

Quote from article:

17 beers a day keep prostate cancer away

Theoretically, anyway, especially when taken with pizza with tomato sauce

PORTLAND, Ore. - For many men, a finding by Oregon researchers sounds too good to be true: An ingredient in beer seems to help prevent prostate cancer, at least in lab experiments.

The trouble is you'd theoretically have to drink about 17 beers a day for any potential benefit. And no one's advising that.

Researchers at Oregon State University say that the compound xanthohumol, found in hops, inhibits a protein in the cells along the surface of the prostate gland. The protein acts like a switch that turns on a variety cancers, including prostate cancer.

Story continues below ↓ advertisement

Dr. Richard N. Atkins, CEO of the National Prostate Cancer Coalition, said the experiments are encouraging and "perhaps men could take it in pill form someday."

He noted that lycopene, an ingredient in tomatoes, and thus also in tomato sauce, has previously been linked to prostate cancer prevention.

"It's every man's dream to hear that beer and pizza can prevent cancer," he said. "However, the 17 beers and four large pizzas needed to get enough xanthohumol and lycopene to help prevent prostate cancer is unfortunately not advised."

Atkins noted that drinking 17 beers a day can lead to alcoholism and cirrhosis of the liver, and overdoing it on pizza can lead to obesity and other health problems.

"Food, no matter how helpful it may be, is not a full preventive for prostate cancer," he said.

Edited by Guest

Note the number of beers it would take to actually make a difference

Yeah! But the fun is in trying!

Edited by Guest

Side story with a funny ending:

I used to work in a fairly large hotel in Boston. The management was pretty picky about pest control. (As they should be.) They would hire exterminators to come in and "fog" every guest room and food service area with pesticide once every few months. (Rotating schedule.)

I was the overnight security guard in charge of opening the door to any room that the workmen needed to get into. (And I monitored them to be sure they didn't steal.)

On my first night of "Bug Patrol" the foreman handed me a respirator mask and showed me how to put it on and use it correctly. I asked him, "Is this stuff poisonous?"

His reply: "Well, let's just put it this way... It'll make a man out of you... Even if you are a woman..."

So, I guess, Linda, that you sould go on a "Bug Patrol" then drink 14 beers afterward!

The only problem, as I see it, is after the first 10 or so, I start posting really stupid and inane things here!

FLinFL

The only problem, as I see it, is after the first 10 or so, I start posting really stupid and inane things here!

FLinFL

I do that without drinking!

L