All furred up

grouchomg

Last June I purchased an indigo fox fur coat with an enormous cobra hood. That makes a baker's dozen plus fur slippers and three fur blankets or throws.

Hard to believe, but I think that's enough. Considering storage, cleaning, and repair costs and finding room for them in the closet, I think that's it for me.

I wonder if anyone else feels the same.

... and of course I may change my mind later.

I once knew an extremely wealthy American woman who never had more than three or four fur garments at one time but she would trade them in often to keep up with her status. However, one of the oddities was that her late husband would buy her a brand new ankle length black mink every autumn which she was only 'allowed' to wear for that winter before it was put into storage with the previous years coats. She told me she had 30 of these coats in storage at her furriers in New York that she told me she had no intention of either wearing again, trading in or otherwise disposing of.

The problems of the wealthy!

Edited by Guest

I'm in a similar situation. I've also owned up to 8 coats in the past but never more than three at a time due to limited closet space. However a lot of the coats in the early years of my collection never fit me. They were just used furs that I would pick up on ebay but I never really had my measurements done prior to buying them, so these coats always ended up being way to small to wear. Once I had the means, I would buy a brand new fur in a proper size from a local furrier. The coats I have now are all off the rack --minus the new custom blue fox, which I should be picking up in the next couple of weeks or so. Given another 10 years or so I'd like to buy a few more (with a little luck, a proper mix of off the rack coats and custom jobs) My stretch goals are to own a collection of about 20-25 different full length and stroller length fox coats along with a nice collection of fur accessories, which are all made from different pelt types. That way I have a fur to wear for just about every occasion. However, outside of setting up some kind of patreon or gofundme crowd sourcing campaign, it'll be extremely difficult to find that kind of funding.

I have at least 12 coats mostly Fox, 6 hats, 2 pairs of fur gloves and fur lined Mittens, 2 double sided large (100+ in. Long) fox stoles, 5 king size fox blankets, 1 twin sized Blue Fox blanket which I sleep under every night, 6 fur pillows, 23 fox Pelts, Arctic Wolf Mukluks, his and hers black Fox thongs, and I'm buying a very large (18+ in. long ) black fox Mittens to go with my black fox ParkaSnd f/l black fox coats. And odds and ends that I have made. That's GOT to be it or my wife will divorce me.

I have a number of coats too but the majority cannot be really worn, too small etc. I decided some of them to turn into pillows, other to linings for my parka (a rex rabbit done, now sheared mink in the process) and getting a bomber jacket that will have such lining too, one from mink and the other one from blue fox.

Coats kept for wearing? An XXL blue frost coat, coyote, silver fox and will get one more mink jacket and coyote vest.

I agree with you all -- there is such thing as "enough"! After deciding to purge the majority of my collection every nine or ten years, I'm almost ready to do it again, and would definitely trade wearable garments for home furnishings like throw blankets and pillow covers considering my tastes have changed.

Maybe once or twice a year, I'll get the urge to walk around in New York, Chicago, Montreal, or even out in the country, "all furred up", but in this decade of my life, a nice soft hat, scarf, or wrap would make me happy.

Storage and cleaning is something to consider on top of the high price of furs. I think i have room for 3 more coats then after that i will say "enough" Hats and accessories also start to take up a lot of room. If i can get to 20 i think ill be good.