What is the future of fur?

furpersona

The data in your article doesn't seem to add up. More people want to buy real fur but the industry at large is losing business at an alarming rate? And if fur is really on the decline, why are more people wearing it than ever? I've seen more fur pictures on sites like Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook in the last two years than I have in the decades that I have explored fur on the internet. Seems to me that the fur business is booming, and it most of it appeals to Millennials. And this isn't just young women and men buying old, dilapidated furs from their local thrift store. They are wearing contemporary and often times custom made designs. Even as a fur reseller-- who specializes in selling used and second hand garments myself, I can clearly see the writing on the wall here: The future of fur is in a constant state of rapid/accelerated growth, not decline. More people are simply buying, selling and wearing fur. And if pelts are really in decline, that's a sign that the industry can't compete with the sudden influx of demand for more pelts by the public.

Thank you for your answer. The present of fur is on decline, you can see photos on instagram and tumblr because every day more people use instagram and tumblr than the past decade. But furriers here in Greece, in Russia and Europe were selling many more furs in the past decade.

The future is unknown but i hope fur bussiness will flourish again.

What furpersona says about the European furriers is also true in the USA. When I lived in the fur friendly city of Anchorage Alaska and worked with a local furrier, I noticed that sales of fur garments were declining rapidly. Even fur accessories are very slow sellers.

• 2 weeks later...

Spain used to have a strong fur industry and it is disappearing. Most of my relatives had more than one fur. I remember my grandmother in her astrakan, my mother had a fox coat, a mink stroller and a rabbit stroller, my aunts had mink coats also.

Right now Only my mother wears fur. But I think there's hope. Celebrities are wearing fur again: Rihanna, Kim kardashian, Sarah Jessica Parker and Kate Moss wear A LOT of fur.