Marc Kaufman Quality?

billhenry1234

Has anyone had any experience with Marc Kaufman in NY? Taking a trip there soon and may stop by. The furs are priced less than what I would expect so I'm wondering about the quality. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah from what I have heard, Marc Kaufman has international recognition. He caters to a lot of celebrities, musicians and current/former athletes. I highly doubt that anyone with this much acclaim would sell poorly made furs. He wouldn't be in business for long if he did that.

But from a personal standpoint, I don't know if its a wise idea to buy from them. When companies like this get big, they tend to jack up their prices. And they also tend to corner the market which can hurt the little mom and pop boutiques who might give you better services at more affordable prices. So my advice to you is to find the mom and pop salons when you and your family visit and put in a large order for some furs rather than at Marc Kaufman's shop. I'm sure hes a great guy and hes one of the best for a reason...but at the end of the day its better to go to an independent salon and see a stylist who would rather treat you like family rather than as just a customer. They are far less likely to take advantage of you.

I would echo the other comments so far. Kaufman has a big store, seems to sell to a lot of celebrities, and charges big prices, based on the website. Some of the prices are on a par with the department stores, even when they put on their sales. It is definitely worth going to have a look round, but I would expect you can find similar quality at lower prices elsewhere.

I have been in the store once, and it was not a positive experience. My partner and I ventured inside maybe 15 minutes before they were due to close. I didn't want to waste time engaging in conversation with the sales people if I could help it, so we just said we wanted to browse and headed off to do that.

One lady in particular wasn't happy with that. She asked whether we were looking for anything in particular, and I again said we were just browsing. She got the hump and started asking whether we were from one of their competitors, just there to look at prices, and basically ran us out of the store.

I appreciate that furriers may want to help customers and strike up a conversation. I have done that with numerous furriers, but on this occasion just wanted a quick browse. This lady's attitude was extraordinary.

But I'm sure the quality of their coats is great

Thanks everyone! This is very helpful. elbas3175, that's really disappointing to hear. Retail stores have no idea how much business they lose when their employees behave like that. Maybe that saleswoman was really a secret PETA supporter. Hopefully Marc ran her ass out of there!