Thinking of Relocating to Australia or New Zealand...

MaxFur

As the title says, I'm currently seriously thinking about relocating from the UK to either Australia or New Zealand. Does anyone have any advice about living in either or these two countries?

Apart from the drop in fur sightings (but then coming from the UK I prety much see none anyway) are there any other dissadvantages?

I know there are people from Australia here, but what about New Zealand?

Sorry to hear about you possibly moving away man - always sucks when someone moves away.. But I do wish you all the best if / when you do eventually take the proverbial plunge and relocate to anitpodean climes!!

How about Canada?

Vancouver, Toronto, Quebec City? All wonderful and vibrant NORTHERN metropilises and still in the Brit sphere.

OFF

We have thought of Canada, and the States but keep comming back to Australia and New Zealand. I'm in IT, and by all accounts there is a significant demand for that over there.

I won't be moving away from the Den though!

HMmmmmmmmmmmmmm Australia or Kiwiland..... now that IS a tough joice.

WIll make you a winner at Rugby League and Union in Kiwiland, but a wannabe in Cricket.

In Oz, Will make you a winner in League... and possibly Union (three Nations hasn't started yet *grin*) and well, let's wait til the Ashes in November/December shall we??

IT?? Have absolutely no idea of your prospects in either. Suggested (Aussie) reading www.smh.com.au or jobsearch.com.au. For the better climate... www.bom.gov.au ......... And home prices might give you a bit of a shock as well.

I know we have a Kiwi member floating about somewhere... so if he wishes to add anything ....................

MaxFur,

Have lived in both places and don't have the Southern Hemi bias that Mr B must have because of his Auzzie linkage.

NZ - more hills, more mountains, a lot cooler, especially the South and the coffee is getting better. If you don't like Rugby, don't go.

Auz - have to like it, I'm going back, but warmer (lots) less mountains, but still some snow.

Fur - in NZ lots of Possum made into nice blankets / coats etc but rarely worn. Less for sale second-hand. In Auz, lots of ex-pats in Brizzie selling older mink coats etc, and in sl cooler Melbourne have seen some fur worn out. All in all, both good.

Auzmink

I've not been to either but have talked to many who have because was thinking about myself at one point. I have relatives in both.

I would say if you like outdoor life (I mean nature not bar-b-qs) (sorry Mr. B). Then you cant beat NZ for wonderfull dramatic scenery, hiking, sailing canoeing etc. I'm told that life is still pretty well at the pace of UK in the 1930's. (Possum fur is pretty good as well. as auzmink says, plenty of it!)

I gather Aus can be more cosmopolitan (in the cities), but can be dramatic in the interior(hot), and nice on East coast and mountains.

Mu choice would be NZ

I stress though this is based oin heresay

Wherever - good luck in your new life - Change is always exciting

Both are amazing countries, but New Zealand is certainly a favorite in my book.

Good luck - wherever your path takes you

Guys

Thanks for all of your advice. This is not something that is going to happen straight away - I'm just starting to seriously think about it and there's probably about 12 more months of thinking still to do!