Fur at motogp

Guest furlessinCA

So I was checking out the results of motogp (motorcycle Grand Prix racing, the highest level of motorcycle road racing). The motorcycles are basically all hand-made. It is very expensive to field a full-on motogp team. There are other classes as well. In the good ol' days the premier class was 500cc two-stroke motorcycles, then 250, and finally 125. Now "because of emissions" the premier class is 1,000 cc four-strokes, then 600 (moto2) and finally 450 singles (moto3).

Now that you've had a lesson on motorcycle road racing, we can get to the "fur connection". One of the (I think) odd traditions in road racing is "umbrella (or paddock) girls". Umbrella girls literally hold umbrellas over the racers to shield the racers from the sun and keep them cooler while the racers wait for the start of the race. Of course this has turned into a spectacle as well as an opportunity for advertising. I've seen umbrella girls dressed in skin suits resembling a riders leathers.

TO BE CLEAR, I don't really care about umbrella girls. HOWEVER, if the female members want to call me a pig, then so be it. I suppose I deserve that, after all I did "find" the picture. I'm more interested in great racing, which this year has provided! (for an example look for pictures of Marc Marquez)

The links below are photos of a fur-clad umbrella (paddock) girl. Mind you its faux, but it is still fur. So I thought I'd share.

To all the female members: please forgive me.

JA

http://www.motogp.com/en/photos/paddock+girls/2012/VAL#Paddock-Girl-Gran-Premio-Generali-de-la-Comunitat-Valenciana-544267

http://www.motogp.com/en/photos/paddock+girls/2012/VAL#Paddock-Girl-Gran-Premio-Generali-de-la-Comunitat-Valenciana-544266

I wouldn't know about the boxing matches, but the umbrella girls who I think are REALLY extreme are the energy drink "representatives". The energy drink industry has no shame!

JA

Looks a bit more conservative than the 'booth babes' from some of the electronics/games conventions. I think the electronics/games ones have been forced to become a little more conservitive over the past few years though. Haven't had the option to go to one, but have seen some of the pictures from other sites that happened to have people there.

This is getting away from the topic of fur; however, I DO think the objectification of women is unacceptable. Obviously, regardless of the industry (e.g. electronics, energy drinks) there is one underlying commonality. Sex sells. But I suppose I should save this for "The Pub".

JA

Tough call... Some people are exhibitionists. If they want to show off, why should we not give them a venue do it?

However, we should draw the line at exploitation. The problem is, where do we draw the line? Further, who is exploiting who? They take their clothes off and we give them money?

Who is really the chump? Us or them?