A compliment and an explanation.

White Fox

Folks, a compliment and an explanation.

First the compliment. As you know we have a very stiff policy here regarding XXX messages. It is explained in FAQ top section and Rules (CoC)

I want to compliment everyone on this site for helping us out in this area. We went through some pretty big problems with this and it your work on it that has made it a success.

Now the explanation. Did you read Joe Al's recent posts in the Melody emergency forum by chance? As you know, they have been down again for several days. The following is part of a post by him of the causes mentioned by Myqth.

Hi folks,

Melody was shut down because of two reasons:

1st: a complain about XXX links in February

There are times when we all think "Oh mod Y does not like XXX posts so they are making it worse for the rest of us!" That is indeed not the case here and I just thought that it might help us all out if we remember that this issue is part of what is causing our good friends at Melody some problems right now. And you know how strict we were there and even with that they have problems! Some folks have asked why we have so many mods here. Now you know.

Again, I want this to be a message to compliment you and not anything else. You have helped us to solve this, and it is from your efforts that we have been able to do that.

By the way, if any of you have not read the top section of FAQ you are missing some of the best parts of The New Den. Please read the section regarding "Styles" in particular. Did you know that you could change the look of The New Den to where you would not even recognize it? Indeed using styles you can do that in less than 30 seconds!

Thanks all for your help in making this such a great place!

White Fox

IMO everyone on this site has been wonderful and very repeectful of the rules.

I read the messages at the emergency wool forum. Frankly, I think the XXX link may be the least of their problems. It sounds like they may have been serious hacked and the security of their members compromised.

There have been instances of viruses being found in the links that were posted on the fur side, but they were few and far between and have been detected by members who were very good in warning others.

Can I ask our technical folks - Can anything be done to protect this site against viruses, phishing and other scams?

FLinFL

Can I ask our technical folks - Can anything be done to protect this site against viruses, phishing and other scams?

FLinFL

The main deterrent to cybercrime and mischief is our members alerting everybody when they find malicious links or content. This site is too large for the mods and admins to monitor all posts and situations as they occur.

The other thing we can do is keep the software up to date. I am currently working on an update that was released on Friday.

We will never be able to prevent all attacks and scams, but by keeping the software as current as possible and remaining vigilant, we can make it more difficult for the criminals to succeed.

FurLover...

AK is rather modest here but there is a big difference between this site and Melody. AK is here looking around every day to see how to improve the site and immediately he gets on problems like that. He was working on the update he mentioned before the rest of us even knew about it.

The folks at Melody not only do not have a tech person to call on as easily, but they cannot even easily make use of one. So, as AK says, anyone is vulnerable. (The worst of it is that these folk are so stupid they actually think they are doing us a favor!) But we are in much better shape here than before.

W

As White Fox has said, many thanks for the self-policing that the membership has done here on the new Fur Den. Amazing how few post we have had to move, edit, etc.

It is appreciated so much. Being a MOD here takes a tremendous time commitment. You have no idea the hours that AK, White Fox, Mr B, Fox and I put in keeping things running smoothly. Earendil was a wonderful addition with all his work on the graphics end. For those of you who have missed him, like me, he has a new job and can't be around for awhile.

There have also been huge projects running behind the scenes getting stories over by WF, OFF and furbabe. Maybe others too not certain.

The project that AK accomplished of creating an archive for us to reference from Melody will be a treasurer for us in old posts.

White Fox as spent a tremendous amount of time wrapping up loose ends at Melody. I know there are others that WF can add to this, but you get the idea.

In the last week or so we have had some new MODs added, in case you have missed the announcements. We now have OFF as "King" of the ebay forum and "Queen" Foxy Lady will be developing some specialty forums. Both are tremendous additions that were badly needed.

But, in the end, no matter how hard we try, we cannot check out every post or link in a timely manner. So, your policing and gentle nudging has been greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Linda

One of the main things that made me want to stay at this forum was the fact that XXX content was either limited or at least marked so that a person knows in advance what he/she was about to see. There are several site out there that have some content that is extreme in nature. Some tread the borderline of legality. I'm glad that this site is not like that. It's one of the reasons I stay here.

I love to see sexy pictures. No doubt about that! But there are certain types of content that I don't even want to think about, let alone be associated with. I have a reason that I don't want to explain in the clear.

Viruses, security and malware filtering are important things. I'm glad that people who administer this site are watching out for them. I will never say that I have no fear of malware but it doesn't unduly vex me. I can handle most problems that arise by myself. It IS nice to know that somebody's got my back, though!

I don't think the moderation, here, is too strict. In fact it is quite more lenient than some sites I have frequented. There is one, in particular, where the administrator thinks of himself like Seinfeld's "Soup Nazzi" and has acted the part on several occasions. He has said, on more than one occasion, "It's MY site. I'll do as I please. If you don't like it, LEAVE!"

The mods at this site are a far cry from that! In fact, there are probably a few instances where they have been a little too lenient. So, if a mod has to flash a "Yellow Card" or lock a thread I probably won't get bent of shape if there is a reason. There's no way in hell, you'll ever be as bad as the Soup Nazzi!

Now I got to change names! No way I am going to use that last one due to past politics.

However, Maybe the White Terminator?!!!

All kidding aside. Thanks Worker and all. There is a lot of work goes into this site and it is generally tremendous to be involved with it. There have been of course, days of frustrations as well. But in the end seeing the site and the participation here makes it all worth while!

W