Fur in Art

JGalanos

Visited an art museum this afternoon and saw a picture (circa ~1826) that included a man in a fantastic fur lined coat that I would love to have made for me. It was a really awesome coat (almost floor length, fur cuffs, fur lined hood, etc.) that reminded me of some of the men's fur designs seen out of Russia in recent seasons.

Anyone else had a similar experience? This is the second time I've seen a 19th century painting of a large group of people that included a gentleman in a fab fur lined coat that I could see myself wearing in the 21st century.

One of my favourite things in whatever city I have lived is the Art Museum with its deoictions of furs on both men and women. Many of them I would dearly love for myself today.

OFF

There are a lot of fur-filled paintings at the Chazen Art museum here in Madison Wish there were as many furs in the streets of Madison as there were in the paintings of our art museum

Many of them I would dearly love for myself today.

Ditto. The first picture I noticed (several years ago) is of a wealthy gentleman standing outside a bank in (I think it is) Germany wearing a fur-lined overcoat with turn back cuffs and an immense collar. I've seen the picture probably half a dozen times and it never fails to engage me.

Visited an art museum this afternoon and saw a picture (circa ~1826) that included a man in a fantastic fur lined coat that I would love to have made for me.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

There was an exhibit about 10 years ago at the Denver Art Museum of advertising poster art, and I recall that there were many of men (and women) in fur coats, especially posters from France and/or from the 20s and 30s. Furs for men were apparently more popular then; I have a photo of my dad from the 1930s wearing a raccoon coat.

Back in 2005, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York ran an entire show around fur and leather clothing. From vintage furs... to P-diddy's furs... to leather outfits that look like they just left some of New Yorks finest dungeons - it had to be the most incredible 'tribute' to fur (and leather) as art forms just in and of themselves.

FLinFL