Article Re: Kastorian Furs

JGalanos

This is now in our library joining another similar one that was there before. Both well worth reading. Members may remember that our member MailonFurs comes from that area.

W

Very nice article.

We are a small town, so everywhere you look you see fur stores, fur factories and other fur related businesses. If the number is right, for 5000 fur workers, then we are talking for the one third or one fourth of the citys population (15000-20000 people) !!

Kostas...

I just posted that to our Library last night, and got to wondering.

Obviously a huge portion of production is exported out. Just got to wondering the following.

Any idea on what percentage of your locals wear fur there?

And of that obviously huge portion shipped out, any ideas of the percentages going to different countries? That would be interesting information indeed. Even worth keeping in our Library.

W

80-90% ends up to Russians...

most of the furs are exported to Russia directly.

Huge exports take place to Turkey and Dubai too, but the main buyers are again Russian tourists there.

Ukraine is a big market for furs too.

Now I'm sure that the other percentage is sold to countries like USA, Germany etc

As for locals, here in Kastoria you see a lot of women wearing furs too. Mostly mink pieces, a fur making process that was discovered here in Kastoria (I think).