"Hair up" Designs

JGalanos

A few months ago I tried on a mink coat that was designed with the hair up. It had a totally different look from the more typical "hair down" style. Just curious ... Are there advantages to the "hair down" versus "hair up" style (less wear, whatever) or is it simply a matter of preference?

This my personal opinion as I am NOT an expert.

The "hair down" style is letting the hair lay the same way it grew on the animal which helps shed snow, moisture, and dirt. Reversing the pelts to be "hair up" would trap such foreign matter and could dramatically shorten the useful life of the garment. Personally, I think it is a bad idea.

The "hair down" style is letting the hair lay the same way it grew on the animal which helps shed snow, moisture, and dirt. Reversing the pelts to be "hair up" would trap such foreign matter and could dramatically shorten the useful life of the garment.

That makes sense.

Perhaps what you thought were arm sleeves were actually for the legs, and you had the whole thing on upside down (sticks out tongue playfully)

• 2 weeks later...

JG, I have seen one fur done this way. I didn't like the feel as it ran on the fur.

I have also seen the pelts styled sideways, but never up.

What was your impression of the fur? Was it styled uniquely? Sheared?

Linda

It was a traditionally styled 3/4 length brown mink with notched collar -- The only thing unusual about it was the "hair up" design. I actually liked the look of the coat -- It seemed plusher or "fuller" than a typical mink and definitely did not look like a typical mink.

My black sheared nutria pullover is also designed "hair up"; my furrier gave me this hint while designing/speaking about it during built. The big advantage is, that therefor the sheared nutria has a real dark black view instead of a shiny black. I can not agree that cleaning it up is a problem - brushing as every fur works quite well.

Zaphod_bee