Links and Forums

White Fox

We have received a fair number of messages here from people who want us to leave our links and Forums areas on site here. I had wondered if there might be something more "Up to date" that we could use to replace them.

However, it does seem like people still want to see them, so we will leave them for the immediate future at least. Whether we keep them in the long term or not will depend on their use here. We do have some ideas on more "Glitzy and up to date" areas to replace them, if they are not used though. Ideas that are not in use anywhere else on the net.

Thanks to those who at least took the time to contact us or reply in the threads. Those messages really help us to develop our site here.

W

• 1 month later...

WF ... Just curious ... Are there any upgrades/additions/whatever planned for the Den in coming months?

Also curious ... I noticed a copyright mark on the front page of the site the other night -- Is "The Fur Den" actually copyrighted?

You bet your sweet bippy it is!

But it's not copyrighted because we want to keep everything people write to ourselves.

It is copyrighted in case somebody else tries to copy what is here in the forums, the library and the gallery and put it on their website. That way we have a way to legally smack them down.

I cannot remember the exact terminology, but FrBrGr who originated the Fur Den concept, copyrighted and/or trademarked the name "thefurden" to avoid it being mis-used without consent.

As for updates, we are always updating the site to keep up with the evolving nature of the software we use. While we do occasionally make small feature changes to hopefully better serve the membership, no drastic changes are currently planned.

Jgalanos. writes..'interesting'..

now is it just me or does anyone else immediately wonder if great chunks of the furden have been copied and posted somewhere else...?

the 'interesting' speaks to me ... do you know some gossip Galanos..?

come on spill the beans...?

kisses

brandy

xxxxx

I don't think that "great chunks" of the Fur Den have been copied.

On the other hand, I know that people try to copy pictures from the gallery to their websites. We have a mechanism in place that attempts to stem the tide. If people try to hot link pictures out of the Gallery and use them in other websites they will get a surprise:

I have 1,000 Bears living here with me. At any given hour of the day there is at least one of them guarding our picture gallery. If they catch anybody trying to steal our stuff they substitute that picture in place of the original.

Mind you... this is not intended to stop legitimate members of the Fur Den from viewing and copying pictures to their own computers.

However, we have to pay for server space and bandwidth. The intent is to preserve our bandwidth for Fur Den members and not let it get used up by other people who are only sucking up our resources for their own purposes.

This is not 100% fool proof. It was never intended to be.

On the other hand the Bears occasionally catch a legitimate user and replace their pictures when they shouldn't. Please forgive them. They only have fluff for brains.

If you get caught in the "Bear Trap" when you think you shouldn't, please send me a message. I'll do what I can to help.

Yes, I know that people copy things from the Fur Den all the time. As long as legitimate members of the Fur Den copy things for their own purposes we are not worried. I am certain that there are many people who have copied their favorite pictures from the gallery to their hard drives to make their own personal gallery. I have.

Bottom Line: The purpose of all this; the "Bear Trap", the copyright message, requiring people to log in to the gallery and the wiki areas and a few other things we do is to try and make sure that the Fur Den is always here for our members but not to people who try to steal our stuff and use it in their own sites without permission.

Sorry that I have missed this as I have been busy lately. Others have pretty much said it all.

The name and the contents of the Den are indeed legally copyright. We in fact keep copies of the site now and then to prove what was here at certain times, etc, so that no one could put us on the spot that way. (I'll leave it at that as it is part of our security.)

As for changes. No huge changes being considered for the immediate future, but there is one smaller one being considered right now. It involves different fur types, etc. Once it is developed you will begin to see it. However, it is not a new area. More of an addition to older ones.

We did have some other "Skeleton ideas" - i.e. totally undeveloped - if we replaced the forums or links area. But since the seem to be used, we have abandoned those for the moment at least.

We do have some changes that we hope will be coming to the Melody site in the near future.

We are waiting on some technical changes and updates, to bring them ahead.

That's about it. As mentioned, this site belongs to you folks really. All we do as staff is to make sure everything stays on track. So, if you have suggestions just let us know. We are always open to new ideas. We love to hear them. It is ideas from folks like you that keep this place and others going. Those ideas are the heartbeat of these places!

W

there is one smaller one being considered right now. It involves different fur types, etc. Once it is developed you will begin to see it. However, it is not a new area. More of an addition to older ones.

Sounds good. Hope it comes to fruition. I'll keep an eye out.

do you know some gossip Galanos..?

Sorry, Brandi, no major gossip to share.

I think a few years ago there was significant "cross pollination" between fur sites but I don't think that's the case any more.