Today's English lesson

Fox

Apostrophes.

Interesting concept...... your allowed to do this s/b you're allowed to do this, but how many times do we see it?

And folks wonder why I skim some posts WEG

I think my main purpose in posting this was to bring attention to the possessives. I know most people know to use an apostrophe when they're omitting a letter, but most don't use it when they need to show possession. Also, I've seen people use them where they're not needed at all (I'm guilty of this myself).

should we perhaps introduce some smilies like "pan-bang" for commenting some thoughts?

What is pan-bang? that is one smilie banging the other with a pan 8)

I use punctuation, and makeup in a similar manner. Punctuation gets thrown at a page and see what sticks. Makeup gets tossed into the air and I wear what hits me when it comes down.

Tryxie.

If you haven't read 'Eats, Shoots & Leaves' by Lynne Truss, then I highly recommend it. It's described thus:

'This is a book for people who love punctuation and get upset about it.'

Gee Bob... thought you were talking about the Wombat then... til I realised they Eat Root and Leave.

Ah nothing like aussie colloquialism *grin*

What really balls me is when you see a sign outside of a greengrocers that says 'Potato's'

I love it! That's certainly a common one. People get the plural of "potato" wrong a lot.

If you haven't read 'Eats, Shoots & Leaves' by Lynne Truss, then I highly recommend it. It's described thus:

'This is a book for people who love punctuation and get upset about it.'

I'll certainly have to check this out.