R.I.P: Bettie Page (April 22, 1923 - December 11, 2008)

Worker 11811

It is with sad heart that I ask all red-blooded American men and all men from around the world to pause for a moment of silence in memory of the passing of Bettie Page.

=====

Excerpted from http://www.bettiepage.com/obit/obit.html

Los Angeles, December 11, 2008 – Bettie Page, sweet-smiling legendary 1950s pin-up queen with the killer curves and coal-black bangs, died today of pneumonia at a Los Angeles area hospital. She was 85 years old. She suffered a heart attack one week ago and never regained consciousness. Her popularity as an underground, guilty pleasures phenomenon has continued to soar despite the fact that the reclusive Page disappeared almost a half century ago, leading many to believe that one of the most photographed individuals of the 20th century was already dead.

As the model who many have argued raised cheesecake to an art, Page combined exuberant, wide-eyed innocence with confident, sometimes aggressive sexuality. VANITY FAIR praised the playfully seductive Page as “our Uber-pin-up.” The NEW YORK TIMES has declared that today “her star shines more brightly than it did in her brief heyday from 1950 to 1957.” PLAYBOY immortalized Page as one of its inaugural centerfolds and recently named her “the model of the century, yet she remains one of its best kept secrets.” In a recent TVGuide.com poll, Bettie Page was voted the “ultimate sex goddess,” outscoring others such as Marilyn Monroe.

In her first work before still cameras, Bettie Page was more than fully clothed; she wore fur coats.

For the complete obituary, please go to:

http://www.bettiepage.com/obit/obit.html

It is common knowledge that Bettie Page's first modeling job was for a furrier where she would model fur coats for clients.

Oh! Wouldn't you give almost anything to be a mouse in the corner of THAT fur shop!

I have recently been searching in vain for a photo of Bettie Page in a fur coat. I have yet to find a good one.

If anybody has one, now would be a good time to post one in our photo gallery.

Here's to Bettie Page... Gone to that Great Fur Den in the Sky!