Any ideas?

Kappa

I do apologize for not getting a picture of it.. However I was just taking a break and standing outside when I heard something in the brush across from my apartment complex. I actually had to blink and do a double-take because it was hard to see the critter that had popped up. I believe it was some type of fox but I'm not sure. It was grayish-brown and as it left, it's tail was the same color with a single dark stripe running from the base of the tail to the tip. Does anyone have any ideas? It was hard to see because it blended in so well but I would like to know what I saw..

Did it by chance have a white stripe running down it's back? (Sorry about that. Could not resist.)

Just wondering here. Did it have very short legs, and look kind of like it was hugging the ground? Might have been a badger. But as I recall, they are a lighter brown, and a dark strip that as I recall runs right to the head. It's been a long, long time since I saw one around here though. Loooooooooooong time!

They really do almost look like a big floor mop as they just kind of brush across the ground. They do have a habit of digging under building porches and foundations and such. I've been told they are pretty vicious. That digging habit is the reason it came to mind here.

As for size, a full grown badger would I think be bigger than a fox by a good bit, but the fox body is kind of "round" looking at it from either end. A badger is more flattened out.

Just my quick thoughts. Not saying it is not a fox. Could well be! Just another possible idea.

The reason I mentioned fox is because that's what it most resembled. I am familiar with badgers and yes, they do typically have a nasty disposition. As for your comment about the stripe, no.. ..it was limited to the tail. The face and body were the same coloration, a brownish-gray, good camoflauge for wooded areas (which is probably the main reason it was hard to see). The only outstanding feature other than the coloration was the single stripe running the length of it's tail. All other features resembled a fox minus the coloration of course.

Kappa;

You are in an area where there are a large number of grey foxes of all stripes (couldn't resist that ).

YOu might go to:

http://www.glacierwear.com/search_results_matrix.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=24&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL

Look under "Animal Pelts & Hides".

Here is one: http://www.glacierwear.com/detail.asp?product_id=fxx-100-cr

OFF

Kappa;

You are in an area where there are a large number of grey foxes of all stripes (couldn't resist that ).

Thanks OFF..

I did check out the links you shared and it's confusing to think it's something between the coloration of the coyote but it looked more like fox because coyote just don't have any striping. About the striping, it was with the length of the body but only on the tail (that I could see).

Kappa

From my experience...

1. Coyote will seldom come near you. Yes, there are in cities, but not often. And, if they are there it would be extremely unusual to see one. The do not trust humans. (For obvious reasons.) If one looks like he trusts you, watch out. He probably has rabies.

2. A coyote will almost always look like an extremely thin large dog. Thin to the point of bones almost showing, etc.

3. A coyote if full grown will look like a very large dog. (Husky, Shephard, etc.) A fox is not as large.

W