BOINCing

Mr Barguzin

BOINC, BOINC, BOINC...... nothing like a good BOINC.

Once again, I am doing Climate Prediction, as well as Seti@Home (Is there someone out there??? ) , Rosetta @home (dealing with Protein Folding design and docking ) and a real newbie to me that a few folks said was a good project during summer.... (it ain't appearing that way at the moment, but we shall see) ABC@home..... into Maths BIG TIME.

As opposed to the last time I was into this, I have actually broken through 20,000 credits and am on my way to my first 100K... ah well, we could only hope and pray it was furs (Nice one Piotr )

So, if you want your puter to have fun whilst your just watching TV, or whatever...... enter BOINC into your address bar.... and you'll be off and running.

The Bears do.

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_user.php?userid=8917613

They prefer to keep to just the SETI project. They want to know if there are other Bears out there trying to send them a message from outer space.

They have 8,700 credits so far.

If there are enough people participating, do you think it would be fun to form a team?

I wonder.... since a sig file seems to have been deleted over at where it was stored *GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ......... NOT HAPPY JAN!!!) if I could use this as my sig file from now on...............

http://www.boincstats.com/signature/user_1728782.gif

Edit: and after that, guess what just reappeared *GROAN* who said life was meant to be easy....... mutter mutter mutter

I like your current one better. Only people who are into grid computing with BOINC will know what it means.

Personally, I'm not a fan of images in sigs but if that makes your boat float, go for it.

BTW: Classy avatar picture!

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssh overwhelmed with enthusiasm is this post NOT LOL

Anyways, as I said, have started doing ABC@Home as well, but for something that supposedly runs cooler than most other programs, well, seeing one of your cores sitting at 61C and occasionally above sorta sends chills down your back.

So open the box to look at the heatsink/fan and surprise surprise..... there's a decent sized heatsink and fan (about 120mm roughly) which goes at 700RPM.

But should a pooter run at 61C for any length of time? or am I missing something?

Sidebar: prior to even opening the box, went out and bought a new heatsink/fan that goes up to 2000rpm. However, having seen the innards of the box, am bloody scared to get inside and start mucking about within. AT least it is a genuine Intel MB although it looks like the memory is a generic brand: one stick of 2Gb 800 DDR2.... wonder if I should add a 1Gb stick *sigh*

Max it out. Memory is usually a good addition.

It won't make your processor go faster but it will reduce the amount of page swapping your computer does.

Since RAM is faster than virtual memory via your hard drive the appearent speed of your computer will seem to increase.

In other words, you won't have to sit there with your thumb in your mouth, waiting for the computer to finish swapping memory on and off the hard drive.

Don't know much about processor fans.

My iMac doesn't use one. It is cooled 100% by convection.

The bullet shape of the outer shell isn't just for looks. It is designed to funnel the air in through the vents on the bottom of the chassis and out through the grate on the top.

But for the sound of the hard drive and fingers-on-keyboard, my computer makes no noise.

• 7 months later...

Well, am now a millionaire *grin*

Have also broadened my spectrum of interest, adding Genetic Life, World Community Grid and GPUGrid along with Einstein@home and MilkyWay (when it deigns to send me work, that is).

Got half of a Quad for Christmas.... just had to add HD, DvD player and new Heatsink/fan (hate the standard one for boincing - does not do the job, period) So am now into putting stuff into and taking it out of my puters *grin* It also is running on Ubuntu. All I need to do is get the graphics card recognised and it too can do GPUGrid.

So now the lotto dreams have a further dimension: two more quads (QX9770) and four, maybe five I7 965s plus at least three sets of dual GTS295 video cards, and maybe an ATI card or two for MW since it is harder than finding a Single fur loving woman in Oz to get work for just a CPU in the Doze box.

And the fur coats and blankets/comforters...... hey it is winter down under you know *grin*